• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

The most annoying thing about Fallout 4 (well it has like 30 problems) for me is that despite creating this whole big world they seemed to have not thought things through at all.

People are living next to piles of broken planks in metal shacks that are falling apart because no one thought about building a cabin with all those trees around. Loot is just randomly strewn about. The first thing the NPCs will tell you, a perfect stranger, is some factoid about the nearby city

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The most annoying thing about Fallout 4 (well it has like 30 problems) for me is that despite creating this whole big world they seemed to have not thought things through at all.

People are living next to piles of broken planks in metal shacks that are falling apart because no one thought about building a cabin with all those trees around. Loot is just randomly strewn about. The first thing the NPCs will tell you, a perfect stranger, is some factoid about the nearby city

That was a huge problem in Fallout 3 also. Everything in the world seems like it's randomly thrown about instead of actually made to be a world full of towns or settlements.

Skyrim was better with this, the towns more or less made sense. Really disappointing that they didn't do a better job with Fallout after New Vegas and Skyrim both attempted to make it convincing.

Tomb Raider looks really good, but I'm actually relieved the PC version isn't out until next year. Too many great games I haven't gotten to yet this year.

I don't think I'll be playing Fallout this year. I'm actually surprised at how little I care about it considering how much time I put into 3.

yeah I suspect the reception will mellow over time. the people who are the most vocal now are probably the same ones who spent forever pointing out aliasing issues in screenshots and have some unreasonable attachment to the game. the same demographic who is most likely to tear though the game in a week and move on. the "normal" userbase for these games will play it for years and be totally fine with it. obviously anecdotal, but most of the people I know in that camp are totally fine with it.

this is definitely one of those cases where the frothing messageboard types (positive and negative) are in the minority.

That whine in Dan's voice whenever anyone even begins to criticize MGSV or anything about is obnoxious as fuck. It's gonna make the deliberations a real pain in the ass. Even this week's Bombcast, when Jeff and Brad say Venom Snake is not a hero, Dan's all "Eeeeeeeeh he's pretty cool, guys!" I can't be the only one put off by that. It's not even about me not liking MGSV. That's just not good podcast banter.

It's a tough time for Dan since he's not the baby anymore now that Griffin's here.

Brianna Wu's back with more laughable hero worship of the new Lara Croft.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1138676

when Brad or pretty much anybody can skewer that argument in a sentence or two like in the QL, it's a flimsy viewpoint.

the emotional resonance lasted about 30 seconds before you became a mass murderer. in the span of like one in-world day, Lara amasses a body count bigger than Henry Lee Lucas.

I guess if that's your definition of "believable... relatable" then you have a weird worldview

That whine in Dan's voice whenever anyone even begins to criticize MGSV or anything about is obnoxious as fuck. It's gonna make the deliberations a real pain in the ass. Even this week's Bombcast, when Jeff and Brad say Venom Snake is not a hero, Dan's all "Eeeeeeeeh he's pretty cool, guys!" I can't be the only one put off by that. It's not even about me not liking MGSV. That's just not good podcast banter.
Some of guys need some perspective.

santeesioux

when Brad or pretty much anybody can skewer that argument in a sentence or two like in the QL, it's a flimsy viewpoint.

the emotional resonance lasted about 30 seconds before you became a mass murderer. in the span of like one in-world day, Lara amasses a body count bigger than Henry Lee Lucas.

I guess if that's your definition of "believable... relatable" then you have a weird worldview

It's the same with Uncharted where Nathan Drake goes from wacky Indiana Jones to mass murderer too, it's jarring.

Zaph

Brianna Wu's back with more laughable hero worship of the new Lara Croft.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1138676

I can understand how the desire to want better characters in video games can cause you to reach when you think you've found one. But the championing of the Tomb Raider reboot is just a real headscratcher.

Wonder if she'll get around to calling out publications again when they all completely ignore it for GOTY

It's the same with Uncharted where Nathan Drake goes from wacky Indiana Jones to mass murderer too, it's jarring.

Nathan Drake isn't set up as a character that is inexperienced and emotionally impacted by killing. I really enjoyed Tomb Raider but Lara goes from being a research student to mass murdering laughably fast.

daydream

Banned

kojima could label his bowel movement as next mainline mgs and dan would (figuratively) eat it up

I can understand how the desire to want better characters in video games can cause you to reach when you think you've found one. But the championing of the Tomb Raider reboot is just a real headscratcher.

Wonder if she'll get around to calling out publications again when they all completely ignore it for GOTY
I could see it in the discussions for GB because Brad and Dan both seem high on it, but in a stacked year like this, it'll be tough to crack the top 10.

But look at how tough it is for her to come to terms with killing someone.
mR98uG0.gif

rambolararvuht.gif

yeah I suspect the reception will mellow over time. the people who are the most vocal now are probably the same ones who spent forever pointing out aliasing issues in screenshots and have some unreasonable attachment to the game. the same demographic who is most likely to tear though the game in a week and move on. the "normal" userbase for these games will play it for years and be totally fine with it. obviously anecdotal, but most of the people I know in that camp are totally fine with it.

this is definitely one of those cases where the frothing messageboard types (positive and negative) are in the minority.

It's not going to mellow out on GAF, that's not how it's worked for any Bethesda game. It's the people who dislike the game the most that will stay committed to talking about it, especially when it comes to RPGs. Read any thread on Bethesda or Bioware games and see how they are populated with people that disliked the games instead of the majority that liked them.

Anjin M

Tomb Raider looks really good, but I'm actually relieved the PC version isn't out until next year. Too many great games I haven't gotten to yet this year.
I'm really looking forward to Tomb Raider next year. But I'll probably be waiting for PS4 unless the PC version goes on a crazy sale. My lame PC played the reboot just fine, but I don't even remember buying it. So weird.

It's not going to mellow out on GAF, that's not how it's worked for any Bethesda game. It's the people who dislike the game the most that will stay committed to talking about it, especially when it comes to RPGs.

In a nutshell.

If anything, before the reviews came out people were championing and excited that it seemed that a Bethesda game would be trash. There was even a stupid chart about how 'Bethesda fanboys' would defend against shitty reviews.

Then the reviews came out, they've been mostly positive, and the naysayers have shut up about it. And people are enjoying the game. If there is backlash about it, it will be folks in denial that the game is fun and that it got good reviews.

AcridMeat

Banned
The intro does exactly that. The wife comments on the opening speech/intro taking place at a veterans hall. She mentions that they'll start a normal life now that he's out of the army.

It's in the first 10 minutes of the game.
Hahahaha, wow. I thought I'd been paying attention way better than that. Fair enough then!

Dan is way too subjected to his biases. It's why I think he's a bad reviewer. It's good that he works for a site like Giant Bomb because he's still entertaining.

I'm really looking forward to Tomb Raider next year. But I'll probably be waiting for PS4 unless the PC version goes on a crazy sale. My lame PC played the reboot just fine, but I don't even remember buying it. So weird.
Yeah, It'll be a great game for early next year for me.
But look at how tough it is for her to come to terms with killing someone.
http://i.imgur.com/mR98uG0.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/rambolararvuht.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

This made me laugh out loud.

I hate that the live player is so shitty, I can never be sure if they're actually broadcasting a black screen or if I need to refresh.

[EDIT] Ooh, 60 fps looks so good.

kAmui-

It'll take a while to get used to shaved Vinny. And by then he'll have another glorious beard.

That smooth 60FPS though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom