• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duders.

Stop me from buying The Taken King for $30.

I could just buy the borderlands collection for $5 cheaper for my loot lust but I kinda want to try "kinda fixed" Destiny.

Plus I already played Borderlands 2 on PC and dont really want to play the pre sequel.

TTK worth 30 bucks for someone who will more then likely never see the raid but has that off again, on again affair with the game?

Duders.

Stop me from buying The Taken King for $30.

I could just buy the borderlands collection for $5 cheaper for my loot lust but I kinda want to try "kinda fixed" Destiny.

Plus I already played Borderlands 2 on PC and dont really want to play the pre sequel.

TTK worth 30 bucks for someone who will more then likely never see the raid but has that off again, on again affair with the game?
I never played any of the raids and still sunk close to 150 hours into Destiny. It's definitely worth checking out at that price.

Thanks to the 'depressing moments in gaming thread', I just saw for the first time (even though I'm fully aware of all the other differences) Kanji's look in Persona 4 Golden...

...that redesign can fucking GET BENT.

convo

Yo why ain't they British in XCX? I just assumed they'd keep it up.

Because they are from NEW LOS ANGELES. Besides it is not localized in europe anymore. You can still make your character with shulks voice though, although he won't talk during the story i think

Thanks to the 'depressing moments in gaming thread', I just saw for the first time (even though I'm fully aware of all the other differences) Kanji's look in Persona 4 Golden...

...that redesign can fucking GET BENT.
That's only a thing for the ending, he looks like your regular old badass for the rest of the game.

kiguel182

everything on tv here has been about black friday here so i guess its becoming more and more common as the years go by

When it comes to importing US traditions I guess I'm fine with big sales.

This year here it has been way more common that the past few years I think.

Xenoblade Chronicles was good, right?
The voice acting was awful, the costumes were ridiculous, and the story was pretty dumb, but the combat was really fun and the systems were great for the most part. My biggest complaint with the actual gameplay was the lack of fast movement other than the which travel landmark system. Actually moving across the map felt really tedious at times. A bestiary would also have been really useful. Overall, I'd definitely recommend it if you enjoy the WoW style questing and grinding gameplay loop.

Strax

Handball is an Olympic sport tbf.

3 countries not mentioned finished in the top 4 so it must have appeal in more places than you think.

Well

While I can't know for sure about handball appeal in Croatia and Hungary I think its telling that Iceland, with a population less then 350000, has been a top 3-10 team for something like 20 years and total of 10000 players (counting all ages and both genders),

At work we had two interns. One is french and one is belgium and I asked them about handball, they had no idea what it was even after I showed them youtube clips of games.

The voice acting was awful, the costumes were ridiculous, and the story was pretty dumb, but the combat was really fun and the systems were great for the most part. My biggest complaint with the actual gameplay was the lack of fast movement other than the which travel landmark system. Actually moving across the map felt really tedious at times. A bestiary would also have been really useful. Overall, is definitely recommend it if you enjoy the WoW style questing and grinding gameplay loop.

Ah, ok thank you. I've had this JRPG itch for a while, and I'm trying to figure out what game I'm going to play to scratch it.

Joeku

Last game was originally localized by NoE first. For old time's sake, two of the selectable voices for your characters are from the first game.

I'm aware that the last was "hamstrung" by NoA not wanting it at first but I was a fan of the English voices. It was something different. Even though 8-4 did the translation, I'd hoped they still go UK for the recording. At least they got a couple in there!

Because they are from NEW LOS ANGELES. Besides it is not localized in europe anymore. You can still make your character with shulks voice though, although he won't talk during the story i think

Don't tell me you wouldn't like to hear English folk pronounce it as "Ahn-gel-eeze".

Like Xenoblade most of those systems can be easily ignored. What bothers me is the way the UI is presented, it is just overbearing and claustrophobic.

There are many UI customization options in the settings so you can turn on/off anything you want.

Xenoblade Chronicles was good, right?

Its very well loved on GAF. I didn't particularly love it, but its a great game.

Edit: Either someone else sent them a long xeno email on the beatcast, or they actually read mine. Interested to see what they think about it.

tuxfool

Banned
There are many UI customization options in the settings so you can turn on/off anything you want.

Sure, but it bothers me that there are so many different elements of different sizes, so many boxes of different text sizes. It should be possible to have a lot of the UI on the screen without it looking like it was pieced together at the last minute. Xenoblade had similar issues, but I don't think it was this bad.

hFi5BNQ.jpg

jaina

I'm also overwhelmed by the XCX systems. So the plan is to ignore most until I understand them by osmosis/accident.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that Xenoblade UI is horrendous. Most JRPGs have bad UI (based Persona excepted) but that's really really dire.

santeesioux

Man, Destiny is coming up on the Amazon deals and I'm really close to getting it too even though I don't have psn plus and I'd play it solo...

Sure, but it bothers me that there are so many different elements of different sizes, so many boxes of different text sizes. It should be possible to have a lot of the UI on the screen without it looking like it was pieced together at the last minute. Xenoblade had similar issues, but I don't think it was this bad.

I agree that the UI is pretty sloppy there, but turning it all off during exploration makes it much more manageable. Its not a good excuse for it all to be floaty and covering more of the screen than it really needed to, but at least its less of a pain to deal with.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well

While I can't know for sure about handball appeal in Croatia and Hungary I think its telling that Iceland, with a population less then 350000, has been a top 3-10 team for something like 20 years and total of 10000 players (counting all ages and both genders),

At work we had two interns. One is french and one is belgium and I asked them about handball, they had no idea what it was even after I showed them youtube clips of games.
France has the best national team in Handball, they've been world champions three times out of the last four world cups. The sport is still niche, of course and yeah, mostly played in Europe.
Qatar bought themselves a team.

Wow, what's up with (EU) PSN? I bought Diablo 3 for PS4 which is supposed to be almost a 40 gig download and it was done in under 30 minutes. Usually I'm lucky to download a one gig game in that time..

That's an atrocious jumble of pixels. I knew Xenoblade didn't look so hot on 3ds but that just looks rough. Definitely not the way to play that game.

Its a terrible screenshot but the game itself is still a cluttered mess.

A great combo of the already low res 3DS screen + no effort on the devs part in trying to re arrange the UI for the smaller screen.

demidar

Yeah, that reminds me of modded WoW interfaces.

Floating elements everywhere.

Yeah, finished the Just Cause 3 quick look and I think the game looks actively bad. Ugly, terrible mission design, incredibly limited destruction, and so on. Bummer.

there is this at least

i do like that Nintendo's had to put out a bunch of promo videos ahead of time just to explain all the stuff in this game, like, "hey here's how mech insurance works, or how to do mining, or invest in weapon manufacturers." you know, standard jrpg stuff

i do like that Nintendo's had to put out a bunch of promo videos ahead of time just to explain all the stuff in this game, like, "hey here's how mech insurance works

Can I save on mech insurance if I shop around? Is there a space Flo offering me 15% off in 15 minutes? What have you done for me lately, Nintendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom