• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think Jeff will have a review up for Just Cause 3? I'm getting it anyway but just wondering what he might have to say about it. I'm sure we'll hear about it on the Bombcast but a review would be cool too.

Jeff mentioned recently that Fallout 4 was probably his last big review for the year, I imagine that if we get a JC3 review that it will be from Dan.

popo

I see they have the ghetto setup again for podcasting but I wonder if they will be able to do any "all hands" wrap up videos this year with their studio in boxes. Might be a case of them having to do separate videos the week after.

Dan teased something, but I feel like there's no chance. They're basically in GOTY mode. They have a lot of work to do on that.

The first two weeks of December are all GOTY but there comes a point where all the shoots are done and the video guys have a week to furiously cut it all together. Not a lot editors can do while they work on that, so if you are going to get any streams - where the video guys can set it going and leave them to it - that will be when you see them.

Haunted

pw5VqB6.jpg

wYJfu4o.gif

UQftiJN.jpg
Real people can dress up to have fun, too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When Rockstar makes a big open world, I'm all for it because I know if I wander off, I'll usually discover something neat or even something unique like an AI doing something I don't normally see.

Just Cause 2 and Ubisoft games, the open world is inconsequential. They should be just start differentiating between a world and a sandbox because nothing about Just Cause 2 or Xenoblade's world is living and the sequels don't look much different. Syndicate got a little better about this by having more AI variety. It's why I like the compact but detailed world of the Yakuza games because it's so dense.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Really? I find the world of GTA games to be incredibly static.

GTA feels like a world that exists with or without you. A game like Just Cause feels like a world that exists in service of you which means it doesn't feel like much of a world at all. I'd recommend Danny's The Point on Watch Dogs for a similar discussion

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, there's always a fakeness to gta's world that always takes me out of it.

See, just cause owns the fact that the world that exist solely to be your playpen. It doesn't have the pretense of being anything else. GTA tries to be a simulation which I can never really believe in.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The console ports of Just Cause 3 are sounding fun.

I dunno, there's always a fakeness to gta's world that always takes me out of it.

See, just cause owns the fact that the world that exist solely to be your playpen. It doesn't have the pretense of being anything else. GTA tries to be a simulation which I can never really believe in.

That's fine. Different people go to different games for different things. To me, the appeal of the open world genre has always been exploring that open world and wanting to see how my character transforms with that open world. To me, the best character of an open world game had better be the world itself because I see these more sandbox focused games with an open world and all I can think is 'this could be done in 1/10th the size of the world and you'd still have fun because the world and the progression of the world doesn't seem to matter at all.' It's a big reason why I dislike Saint's Row 3 so much compared to Saint's Row 2.

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah. If one is going to claim that they're creating an open world they have to imbue it with life, clockwork or otherwise. MGSV could easily be a series of large sandbox maps as there is nothing clockwork going on in that game outside the bases, it is just connective tissue. Even the most interesting content in that game, the main missions, cage you into an area. MGSV is a good sandbox game, but it shouldn't deem to pretend to have anything more than an excellent series of sandboxes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The console ports of Just Cause 3 are sounding fun.

That's fine. Different people go to different games for different things. To me, the appeal of the open world genre has always been exploring that open world and wanting to see how my character transforms with that open world. To me, the best character of an open world game had better be the world itself because I see these more sandbox focused games with an open world and all I can think is 'this could be done in 1/10th the size of the world and you'd still have fun because the world and the progression of the world doesn't seem to matter at all.' It's a big reason why I dislike Saint's Row 3 so much compared to Saint's Row 2.

Yeah it's cool, I also share your sentiments and also realise that I'm an outlier when it comes to GTA.

Myggen

Man does the console versions of JC3 sound like absolute garbage. That's what you get for rushing those versions out for Christmas I guess.

Man I dunno what it is with devs not just making sacrifices to keep that fps up. Such a freaking disaster the XBO version of JC3 sounds.

However, the memory leaks of it sounds like pure incompetence from the developers.

Bowlie

Banned
After watching Anno 2205's QL, I bought and played for some five hours. Boy, it is fun!
I'm playing on the easiest difficulty because I never played this kind of game (no Civ, no Tropico, no Sim City, etc.) and it's not as difficult and intimidating as I thought. I'm especially glad that they let me take my time building my city before advancing the story.

def sim

Consoles have been doing the best advertising for PC gaming all year

word

Dude ps4 is no better at all, massive framedrops, no AA and horrible loading times.

I am playing it on ps4, technically its trash.

Buy it in a few months when this shit is patched because the game itself is legit and a lot of fun.

guys build a pc and join us in the steam thread for the love of god we need new members

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I played Syndicate on my Ps4 and it was fine. Definitely not unplayable and it sounds like Mad Max was similar. How you gonna get out performed by Ubisoft on a technical level?

danm999

That's a shame. Do we know what versions everybody is playing at Giant Bomb because that level of effed-upness could have GOTY implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom