• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

santeesioux

It's a good thing (for me) that cpus have stagnated, my 2500k is still going strong 4 years after I bought it. Just need some more ram and I'll be okay for a few more years.

Myggen

That's a shame. Do we know what versions everybody is playing at Giant Bomb because that level of effed-upness could have GOTY implications.

Someone said Dan was on PS4. The footage he posted on YT didn't look as good as the GBEast QL at least.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Regarding that previous Xenoblade X multiplayer discussion, it really isn't complicated.
In the end the active part boils down to "approach the terminal and choose a quest", you'll all be fine. :)

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah I'm sure JC3 is all sorts of fun (on PC, at least), but it's solidly on my "won't buy until half off" list. Open world games are next-to-guaranteed "won't finish" games for me =/

Megasoum

Banned
Just came back from seeing Creed.

Great movie... I'm sure that Dan loved it.

I particularly loved the score. They made new pieces but with hints of the original Rocky score.

Jeff is playing ROTR, can't wait to see his opinion on it if he hates it or not. He disliked the first one but i feel this one is way better than the first one.

I love the people in that JC3 thread saying "can't wait for next gen" completely forgetting that the exact same thing was said last gen when ports had problems.

def sim

Waiting for my 960 and 16gb of ram to arrive.

drewrieywzs2.gif

Can't play persona 5 on PC.

We're dreamers over in the steam thread, whippy.

ArjanN

Man does the console versions of JC3 sound like absolute garbage. That's what you get for rushing those versions out for Christmas I guess.

Probably less rushing and more already running up against the limitations of the current consoles. It's a very nice looking game with a huge map and there can be a lot of explosions/physics etc going on at any one time. You can also move around the map much faster than in, say, MGSV.

Probably less rushing and more already running up against the limitations of the current consoles. It's a very nice looking game with a huge map and there can be a lot of explosions/physics etc going on at any one time. You can also move around the map much faster than in, say, MGSV.

It's a damn shame that the blame is going to be placed on the devs and not on the console companies for putting out underpowered hardware.

hamchan

Jeff wasn't kidding when he said the Black Ops 3 campaign goes places. The first half of the game is pretty boring with a not only bad story, but a hard to follow one too. I even put the game down for a couple of weeks because it was so bad. But the second half of the game gets crazy, so that at least game me a push to finish it.

AcridMeat

Banned
Glad you liked it (and the same to all the other duders who gave positive comments)! I've got my longest ever GB Animated coming some time next month for you folks.
I'm lathering up in anticipation.
Still have some hours of weekend left.

Trying not to buy Just Cause 3 yet, just to see about performance on PC. I installed Stranger's Wrath HD and might go back into Far Cry 3 again.

Zornack

I'm just glad that developers are saying fuck it, the console versions will be gimped and good on ya' if you have a PC. A good portion of the last generation was not like this. Being tied down by outdated hardware sucks.

I'm just glad that developers are saying fuck it, the console versions will be gimped and good on ya' if you have a PC. A good portion of the last generation was not like this. Being tied down by outdated hardware sucks.

A large portion of the console userbase isn't gonna raise hell about that sort of thing. A large portion of the PC userbase will.

Teddified

It's a damn shame that the blame is going to be placed on the devs and not on the console companies for putting out underpowered hardware.

I don't understand, isn't the power of the console irrelevant since it's the developers job to get a game running on the systems? Like what would be the point of blaming the console companies?

justjim89

At this point I'm just trying to power through the main story for FO4 so I can get in some Dying Light and some more Invisible Inc and Pillars of Eternity before year's end. But it seems like I'm at a point where the game just wants me to do sidequests for a while. That's frustrating.

I don't understand, isn't the power of the console irrelevant since it's the developers job to get a game running on the systems? Like what would be the point of blaming the console companies?

I actually agree with this perspective (or kinda both?). If they can't get it running well on the platform, it shouldn't be on that platform.

I know some won't miss it (I know I will), but I doubt we'll get new Metal Gear Scanlon episodes for a while with the downstairs move coupled with the Game of the Year festivities.

danm999

I can see it both ways. Sony made a weird system last generation that caused third parties a lot of problems and that's kind of on them.

But developers and publishers are just so fucking set to try and release everything everywhere because of the economics of AAA development. We've even seen them release something totally busted and cancel it after release.

Then again a good portion of the audience will tell a major games website to go fuck themselves if they get blacklisted for messing up a PR campaign so maybe it's on us too.

I wonder what they have planned for PSX. I assume everyone will be in town for it. I wonder if they will go to the conference portion, or if they will stream it and do their usual talk-overs and then head over to the convention center (if they are going at all). I remember John Vignocchi alluding to some Giant Bomb after show or party or something.

Megasoum

Banned
The score for the 12th round was get out your seat and punch somebody tier.

Fuckin A!

Also (end of the Creed spoiler)

That scene where they go up the stairs and Rocky says "You feel like you're flying"... When you know that the title of the Rocky theme is Gonna Fly Now... Goosebumbs.

I realized that I was not emotionally ready for the idea of Rocky dying... There's was a bit of a close call during the movie and man it got to me...

KingKong

One of the most slept on games of that generation. The storyline goes some really cool places.

I tried to play it a couple of months ago for the first time and it just felt like a bad mid 2000s action game. I know the twist and didnt get that far but yikes it was not fun to play at all

The devs are stuck between releasing a game that performs well, or a game that looks acceptable enough to be marketed.

Does some blame lie with them for wanting to put out a product that can still make them money, even though it's borderline broken? Yeah, for sure. It's irresponsible and a little shady in some cases. But the root of the issue is that these consoles just aren't beefy enough for the "next gen" experience that people were hoping for.

Edit: Like, 30 FPS at 900p. with framerate drops, and tearing. In 2015. That's unacceptable. The blame doesn't lie with any one party, but man oh man those consoles should be able to do better.

tuxfool

Banned
Edit: Like, 30 FPS at 900p. with framerate drops, and tearing. In 2015. That's unacceptable. The blame doesn't lie with any one party, but man oh man those consoles should be able to do better.

Yeah. However everyone was ecstatic that the consoles didn't cost a lot. This is the result. People expected a jump similar to last generation and aren't getting it. Supercharged PC...smh.

Teddified

The devs are stuck between releasing a game that performs well, or a game that looks acceptable enough to be marketed.

Does some blame lie with them for wanting to put out a product that can still make them money, even though it's borderline broken? Yeah, for sure. It's irresponsible and a little shady in some cases. But the root of the issue is that these consoles just aren't beefy enough for the "next gen" experience that people were hoping for.

Sure it's disappointing that the consoles don't live up to previous expectations because of price worries and technology reasons. But imo it's the developers job to create games for the said systems that they know the specifications for. So I find it hard to fault the console creators unless they have some hand in making the game.

Jintor

Yeah it's cool, I also share your sentiments and also realise that I'm an outlier when it comes to GTA.

i largely agree with you on gta

it's kind of funny how much more interesting fallout 4 is just because the amount of npcs fighting other npcs seems to have been upped by a factor of five. They really struck a good balance of wandering-the-wastes-alone and oh-shit-gunfire-over-there-actual-fight-is-happening

Being a console only gamer this generation must be a real bummer. A decent PC gaming rig isn't even that expensive

I think the majority of console gamers don't even care about the technical issues people online care about outside of servers for games just fucking breaking. I don't expect the average console gamer to scream at the clouds about how 30FPS is the bane of the video game industry. There are times where I feel like if I knew less about the technical side of games I'd enjoy certain games more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom