• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should really just bite the bullet and build a ga,ing pc. This is getting all the way ridiculous as a PS4 only person.
kDrqwqn.gif

I think the majority of console gamers don't even care about the technical issues people online care about outside of servers for games just fucking breaking. I don't expect the average console gamer to scream at the clouds about how 30FPS is the bane of the video game industry. There are times where I feel like if I knew less about the technical side of games I'd enjoy certain games more.

My friend who went Xbox's TV has sharpening turned to max, all motion smoothing on, super saturated colour options on, numerous processing to introduce gnarly input lag. Playing, you know, Halo 5 at her place is a Digital Foundry nightmare. She isn't all too bothered by the dynamic resolution. That's my experience with a great deal of single digit hours a week console owners. From time to time I hear complaints about smoothness and blurriness, but not a priority or care to look beyond consoles.

danm999

My friend who went Xbox's TV has sharpening turned to max, all motion smoothing on, super saturated colour options on, numerous processing to introduce gnarly input lag. Playing, you know, Halo 5 at her place is a Digital Foundry nightmare. She isn't all too bothered by the dynamic resolution. That's my experience with a great deal of single digit hours a week console owners. From time to time I hear complaints about smoothness and blurriness, but not a priority or care to look beyond consoles.

Yeah I've got a few friends who have setups like that but they see me playing a game they have at 4K and they're like "wtf how is this possible, I thought consoles had the best graphics".

daedalius

I assure you there are plenty of console people who don't have their TVs set up like that, or are playing on monitors anyway. I personally hate a bunch of that additional garbage on TVs that is totally standard now.

I couldn't even figure out how to access the picture settings on my dad's new TV, it literally had 4 different settings, and that was all I could find.

I went over to a mate's place the other day and his roommate was playing Fallout 4 on the One and had the sharpening real high and motion smoothing on and I was crying inside.

tumblr_inline_nyjhjmno4h1rjqii4_500.gif

demidar

It turns out she's actually the best at Halo and all that crap is just training weights to make her feel a slight hint of difficulty.

I just looked at some forum online and looked up my tv to see what the recommended settings were. I don't really mess with any of the weird settings beyond that.

I just looked at some forum online and looked up my tv to see what the recommended settings were. I don't really mess with any of the weird settings beyond that.

To get the most out of your TV your best bet is either buy very expensive equipment or bring a certified ISF calibrator to calibrate your TV. However, if you need a quick like fix for a generally great setting, any calibration disk would do however I recommend Disney's world of wonder.

To get the most out of your TV you're best bet is either buy very expensive equipment or bring a certified ISF calibrator to calibrate your TV. However, if you need a quick like fix for a generally great setting, any calibration disk would do however I recommend Disney's world of wonder.

I think I'll be alright on that front. Picture quality already looks fantastic as is (blu-ray GoT and other blu-ray anime look amazing) and I'm not one to try and get everything out of something.

It turns out she's actually the best at Halo and all that crap is just training weights to make her feel a slight hint of difficulty.

Real talk, back in my Halo 3 days I played at a decently high level. Had a friend who played on a massive HDTV and was terrible. Switched to a computer monitor and was suddenly one of the best players in our group.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I was watching an old Gamespot video about World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade at E3 and the guy was talking about Starcraft 2 and I thought he was just joking. And I slowly realized Starcraft 2 was announced in 2007. 2007.

AcridMeat

Banned
I was on a run listening to a podcast when a friend called me. It was the first time I'd heard my ringtone since it was switched to Butt City and I had to stop I was laughing so hard.

Myggen

He might appear on the Bombcast this week...

I would be disappointed if he doesn't!

edit: When's the embargo up on JC3? I'm too lazy to check myself. If it's today then I doubt GB will have a review up, unless Dan somehow managed to get it done before going to Kansas.

Xater

I am having fun with Just Cause 3 but on a technical level it's a mess on PS4 as well. It seems like as soon as a certain amount of physics objects are doing their thing the frame rate just tanks. I noticed this right at the start of the game when they make you blow up that bridge. I suspect the bad CPU in these consoles are a bottleneck but as a dev you should then scale that physics interaction back. I am really not surprised they have always just shown off the PC version.

The Anno QL is great, GBeast continues to be fantastic.

Regarding that previous Xenoblade X multiplayer discussion, it really isn't complicated.
In the end the active part boils down to "approach the terminal and choose a quest", you'll all be fine. :)
This is good to hear, I guess I'll actually mess with the multiplayer after all.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

This is good to hear, I guess I'll actually mess with the multiplayer after all.
My main problem with active multiplayer was that the quests usually took 1-5 minutes to complete. Way too short.

I'm kinda bummed JC3 is performing poorly on consoles.

At this point I'm not even blaming the consoles, they've been out long enough and it's up to developers to make shippable products. I've played a lot of great games that work fine by now.

Work with the tools you got to deliver an experience that at least works.

deleted

Vinnies Team is on a roll - I enjoy their quick looks so much more than team Jeff ones.

They are generally much better prepared and give a better overview of the games, they are really funny and they don't sound bored of the games their showing and more open to new ideas..

Zaph

Do we know which platform Dan is reviewing JC3 on? If this is another FO3 thing, I'm hoping we see more separate scoring.

The JC3 OT made me laugh with the 'No technical discussion please' request. Are marketers trying to infiltrate OT's again?

Do we know which platform Dan is reviewing JC3 on? If this is another FO3 thing, I'm hoping we see more separate scoring.

The JC3 OT made me laugh with the 'No technical discussion please' request. Are marketers trying to infiltrate OT's again?
I would assume PC.

Heimbeck

Banned
I would be disappointed if he doesn't!

edit: When's the embargo up on JC3? I'm too lazy to check myself. If it's today then I doubt GB will have a review up, unless Dan somehow managed to get it done before going to Kansas.

Embargo lifts today, I think it lifts at 4PM where GB are.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There are times where I feel like if I knew less about the technical side of games I'd enjoy certain games more.

Yeah totally, it's one of those things that's really hard to turn off once you're sensitive to it. I got a GTX 980 Ti a couple months ago, so everything on my PC runs flawlessly and looks great at 1080p, sometimes even at 2715x1527, or 4k. Playing nothing but PC games for a few months and going back to Bloodborne I had a real "wtf is this choppy garbage" moment, but after a couple hours I stopped even really noticing it anymore. But when I'm on PC I get pretty obsessed with pushing IQ as far as it can go while maintaining 60fps.

I can see both sides. It's nice to have the decision taken our of your hands on some level, on consoles it's just plug it in and go.

On the other hand, I really really like 60fps. And some of the performance issues, loading times, and other jank consoles have to deal with on games like Fallout 4 makes me really glad I have a good PC.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, I game mostly on handhelds nowadays. I like good graphics but they're not my priority.

That said, if they don't up the PPI in the next Nintendo handheld I think my eyes will bleed from all the jaggies.

Haunted

Lately GBEast's felt like such a throwback to early Giant Bomb. The podcast improv and the Vinny/Austin QL pairing have been amazing.

Vinnies Team is on a roll - I enjoy their quick looks so much more than team Jeff ones.

They are generally much better prepared and give a better overview of the games, they are really funny and they don't sound bored of the games their showing and more open to new ideas..
preach

GBeast has become the A-team as far as I'm concerned. I'm more looking forward to the next playdate than the next UPF and the Beastcast has podcast priority over the Bombcast.

Zaph

I enjoy being able to enjoy things without picking an arbitrary side. Then again, this is a gaming forum, so I suppose it's to be expected. Where's Denis Dyack when you need him?

danm999

I think for me it's just that GB East are playing more games I find interesting. Austin in particular has pointed me towards a bunch of stuff in both Quick Looks and at Extra Life this year.

For whatever reason most of what the West has been playing recently doesn't interest me. I still find the personalities on the West Coast as entertaining as ever.

I enjoy being able to enjoy things without picking an arbitrary side. Then again, this is a gaming forum, so I suppose it's to be expected. Where's Denis Dyack when you need him?
I guess it's arbitrary to think of one versus the other, but having a preference / enjoying one set of content over the other isn't.
Right?

I don't see anyone picking a side, people are just saying that they like GBeast and in some cases they like them more than GBwest. It's not like anyone is actually picking a coast and putting down the other choice.

Zaph

I guess it's arbitrary to think of one versus the other, but having a preference / enjoying one set of content over the other isn't.
Right?

Right. It's the 'teams' and 'vs' thing that leaves me baffled, like there's some competition memo i missed. Maybe the rocket league thing was taken to heart by some?

I don't see anyone picking a side, people are just saying that they like GBeast and in some cases they like them more than GBwest. It's not like anyone is actually picking a coast and putting down the other choice.

Check a few posts up

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh whatever, people can like what they like. The Giantbomb peeps are grown ups who can deal if one prefer somebody within their group over the other.

I do find it weird when people treats it so binary but I guess it just highlights the different styles available within giantbomb.

I am having fun with Just Cause 3 but on a technical level it's a mess on PS4 as well. It seems like as soon as a certain amount of physics objects are doing their thing the frame rate just tanks. I noticed this right at the start of the game when they make you blow up that bridge. I suspect the bad CPU in these consoles are a bottleneck but as a dev you should then scale that physics interaction back. I am really not surprised they have always just shown off the PC version.

From the 2 hours I have played on Xbox One before the patch things were much better than NXE's video. Then again 2 hours is nothing so I am kind of excited and not excited to play the game again but I said almost a week ago that this'll shine on PC and it'll probably be the preferred way to play like JC2.

Edit: I also have this game installed on an external 1TB HDD and I always leave my console completely turned off instead of being at "instant on".

popo

Console hardware limitations will always cause problems but I find it telling that just about every game that ships"broken" shows significant improvement after a few months of patching. There will always be known bugs that get fixed in post but if you are able to suddenly increase the frame rate or shorten load times, it hints that devs not being given enough time for the final pass.

Check a few posts up

Ok yeah the use of the word team feels a little odd, though those posts make it seem more like a poor choice of words rather than the poster treating it like an actual competition.
Though there definitely are people who treat it as a competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom