• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI82

Banned
Man, xenoblade x exploration and graphics and the mechanical are sooo cool. So excited only a few more days. Even the VA is good this time!

But that goddamn combat. So horrible.

Bacon

Gbwest shouldn't expect some god damn participation trophy just for showing up. This is why this country is going to shit, there's no winners and losers anymore. These grown men need to be held accountable by the good people of neogaf.

danm999

Gbwest shouldn't expect some god damn participation trophy just for showing up. This is why this country is going to shit, there's no winners and losers anymore. These grown men need to be held accountable by the good people of neogaf.

Trump will mandate Professional Friday's.

I know everyone is on a GBEAST lovefest, but sometimes I just find myself not caring at all about the conversations they have on the podcast. I'm all for the improv and the random tangents but a lot of time when they get in depth on some of the industry stuff I just sort of zone out because I mostly find it boring. The talk this past week about the DOA stuff is a prime example. They just seem to go so deep in some of the most uninteresting things sometimes. Or maybe its just the way they talk about that stuff that makes me toon out. I still love the podcast but when they get more in depth in discussion I find my self zoning out way more than not.

Huh, that in depth discussion is why I enjoy the Beastcast so much, the DOA discussion from last week was great and the youtube copyright stuff from two weeks ago was fantastic as well.

danm999

I really like the deep dive stuff the Beastcast does personally.

I would hate it if it was just a second Bombcast trying to be the same thing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The only thing I don't like is when Vinny gets super loose. Like, I love it most of the time, but sometimes they draw it out too long like with the xenocross stuff.

Huh, that in depth discussion is why I enjoy the Beastcast so much, the DOA discussion from last week was great and the youtube copyright stuff from two weeks ago was fantastic as well.

Its all good to have it in there because I definitely don't think we get the same type of discussion from the West. To me it just seems like it really goes nowhere. It ends up just coming down to the point of everything is complicated. That youtube stuff is I think a great example of more discussion coming out of what could possibly be rather than the story itself. It just seems so meandering. "This could be good, but I can also see the way it could be bad...its complicated."

I'm not begrudging the discussion or anything, I just don't think its for me. Seems more like Austin thinking out loud about news stories with Vinny asking questions to gain more detail.

the leap in difficulty between building a ship that can land you safely on Mun or another planet and making one that can get you back home is HUGE.

and boy even based on the first 10 minutes I don't think he understands the task he's undertaken. his orbit game is solid. beyond that...

this is going to be quite a journey

e: oh good, I was worried he wasn't going to put any RCS on it. needs some stabilizers and SAS though...

e2: oh no he put the RCS on the tanks he's going to stage during ascent. sigh...

Meneses

I also prefer the west coast podcast (westcast?).

I mainly listen to the Beastcast because of Vinny and i'm pretty sure I wouldn't bother with it if he wasn't there. There are still some good moments there, of course, but I don't really know why, it just doesn't click as much with me.

Jintor

Its all good to have it in there because I definitely don't think we get the same type of discussion from the West. To me it just seems like it really goes nowhere. It ends up just coming down to the point of everything is complicated. That youtube stuff is I think a great example of more discussion coming out of what could possibly be rather than the story itself. It just seems so meandering. "This could be good, but I can also see the way it could be bad...its complicated."

I'm not begrudging the discussion or anything, I just don't think its for me. Seems more like Austin thinking out loud about news stories with Vinny asking questions to gain more detail.

that's life bro, it's all complicated, and for some peeps it's worth teasing out that complexity. and for other people it's not! and that's cool

I think the idea is supposed to be that it's basically just them thinking out loud about the news stories. Rather than just read the piece of paper and only focus the discussion on what's on the paper they instead break it down and look at the good and the bad as well as what the news could lead to. It's also true that sometimes the issues they discuss are complicated, just recently they've discussed "censorship", unions and copyright all of which are issues that you can't completely cover in a 15 minute discussion.

It's not for everyone but I really enjoy it.

that's life bro, it's all complicated, and for some peeps it's worth teasing out that complexity. and for other people it's not! and that's cool

I think the idea is supposed to be that it's basically just them thinking out loud about the news stories. Rather than just read the piece of paper and only focus the discussion on what's on the paper they instead break it down and look at the good and the bad as well as what the news could lead to. It's also true that sometimes the issues they discuss are complicated, just recently they've discussed "censorship", unions and copyright all of which are issues that you can't completely cover in a 15 minute discussion.

Yeah, I completely agree with both of you. I'm not saying I wished they stopped or did it a different way, its just not for me. Its not even that I don't like it, I just lose track and completely zone out and miss most of it.

I was just giving an apposing side to the East vs West beef that will eventually tear GB apart.

We live in a brave new world of edited Giant Bomb content. I can't wait for the next Jar Time with jump cuts every other sentence.

I'm just foolin

ih1JpN2.png

Zaph

Just googled what's involved for getting to mun and back...

Bless you Vinny, always the eternal optimist

We live in a brave new world of edited Giant Bomb content. I can't wait for the next Jar Time with jump cuts every other sentence.

I'm just foolin

wBlWwRk.gif

Just googled what's involved for getting to mun and back...

Bless you Vinny, always the eternal optimist

let me put it this way, I've played like 200 hours of the game over 4 years or whatever, generally know what I'm doing, but return trips from even Mun are still a hell of a challenge for me.

but failures are usually more fun than successes in this game so I'm loving this

So how long is the Kerbal Video?

Yeah, I completely agree with both of you. I'm not saying I wished they stopped or did it a different way, its just not for me. Its not even that I don't like it, I just lose track and completely zone out and miss most of it.

I was just giving an apposing side to the East vs West beef that will eventually tear GB apart.
It's definitely not going to be for everyone but it's great that each podcast is different enough to warrant this discussion.

Nero18

I know everyone is on a GBEAST lovefest, but sometimes I just find myself not caring at all about the conversations they have on the podcast. I'm all for the improv and the random tangents but a lot of time when they get in depth on some of the industry stuff I just sort of zone out because I mostly find it boring. The talk this past week about the DOA stuff is a prime example. They just seem to go so deep in some of the most uninteresting things sometimes. Or maybe its just the way they talk about that stuff that makes me toon out. I still love the podcast but when they get more in depth in discussion I find my self zoning out way more than not.

The problem imo is that they sometimes just argue for the sake of arguing and not as much because the topic is interesting to anyone. Now of course there will always be some of that in any podcast, but it just becomes to abstract sometimes because of that. The youtube conversation two weeks back was completely unnecessary and empty.

let me put it this way, I've played like 200 hours of the game over 4 years or whatever, generally know what I'm doing, but return trips from even Mun are still a hell of a challenge for me.

but failures are usually more fun than successes in this game so I'm loving this

How do people even make it to the other planets!?

Only Space Engineers can play this game.

I've watched a lot of Scott Manley. The people that know what they are doing make it seem so easy. Also, Vinny has to use the term Delta-V a lot more if he's going to get to the Mun and back.

How do people even make it to the other planets!?

Only Space Engineers can play this game.

most of the time the hardest part is just getting into orbit with enough fuel to do the maneuvers. after that the rest is pretty straightforward. comparatively. but the heavier your payload (i.e., a lander which can then take off again) the harder it is to break orbit.

anyway, Vinny got a lot further than I thought he would this episode. those super big solid fuel boosters weren't in the game when I was heavily into it, and those seem like a big help. thankfully he already knew about asparagus staging, without that, it would be a million part video.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for some edits, they have too much filler in many videos. Sue me!

I wonder what they have planned for PSX. I assume everyone will be in town for it. I wonder if they will go to the conference portion, or if they will stream it and do their usual talk-overs and then head over to the convention center (if they are going at all). I remember John Vignocchi alluding to some Giant Bomb after show or party or something.
http://jeff.zone/post/134267848686/are-you-guys-going-to-talk-over-the-psx

No stream, Jeff will be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom