• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they will definitely be getting a section dedicated to them during the PSX press conference, what indie games would you like to see come to PS4? The one that I want to see is the one that Dan Quick Looked called Stranded Deep. It is a survival simulator on a desert tropical island.

pKDXLBp.gif

Since they will definitely be getting a section dedicated to them during the PSX press conference, what indie games would you like to see come to PS4? The one that I want to see is the one that Dan Quick Looked called Stranded Deep. It is a survival simulator on a desert tropical island.

All of the good ones.

AcridMeat

Banned
Austin has played at least 1 episode and enjoyed it, so at least 1 Bomber has checked it out. I doubt anyone would push for it for GOTY after 1 episode. The first episode is great, but not necessarily Top 10 of the year great on its own.
Oh I'm realistic, that's why I said podcasts, as in I don't expect it to be fought for actual game of the year.

Also listening to Day 2 of 2014's casts, Patrick with "It feels like a story was ripped out of Destiny." Kotaku broke the news about the story this year...Patrick works at Kotaku now.

Follow the money

You should play Invisible Inc.
It's really fun.

Joeku

Man, fuck, Invisible Inc. is so fucking cool. I gave up on two runs (in literally the first mission) and then the third time around it clicked. I'm now 20 hours from the end of this initial timer (not sure if that's the end or if it goes on) and hoping I can fit in two missions with my team of 4. Holy shit, this game.

I didn't think Klei had it in them to produce something more mechanically sound than Mark of the Ninja (especially after Nels Anderson left) but the turn-based nature of it makes everything so damn precise. Decker's cloaking has saved my sorry ass on three missions I think. Just squeaking through with my resources with everyone alive is so damn satisfying. How the fuck they managed to tune level-design algorithms this well is madness. Can't wait to learn more about how it all fits together.

Fireblend

Banned
Man, fuck, Invisible Inc. is so fucking cool. I gave up on two runs (in literally the first mission) and then the third time around it clicked. I'm now 20 hours from the end of this initial timer (not sure if that's the end or if it goes on) and hoping I can fit in two missions with my team of 4. Holy shit, this game.

I didn't think Klei had it in them to produce something more mechanically sound than Mark of the Ninja (especially after Nels Anderson left) but the turn-based nature of it makes everything so damn precise. Decker's cloaking has saved my sorry ass on three missions I think. Just squeaking through with my resources with everyone alive is so damn satisfying. How the fuck they managed to tune level-design algorithms this well is madness. Can't wait to learn more about how it all fits together.

Yep, it's great; it's one of those games were executing a plan successfully is incredibly satisfying. You feel like a goddamn genius.

Alright you've sold me on it. Another one for the ol' wishlist.

Joeku

Yep, it's great; it's one of those games were executing a plan successfully is incredibly satisfying. You feel like a goddamn genius.

I've found so far that it's something I'd call provocative stealth akin to a modern 3rd-person stealth game like Blacklist or AC: Syndicate where the mechanics want you to leave a hint of a presence like "Yeah, follow me around the corner, fucker. See what happens." But then it plays out with extreme precision because of the flow of the game. I'm adoring it, like 5 hours in. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Alright you've sold me on it. Another one for the ol' wishlist.

Homie, it's the precise resource management of a roguelike with super great stealth mechanics. It's like it took all the best lessons from Mark of the Ninja, XCOM, Spelunky, and Splinter Cell and melded them into a beautiful little flower. The harmony is so damn good so far.

yami4ct

i wonder what is the most disappointing. i bet Jeff has a pretty big list.

Tony Hawk 5 has to take it at this point, right? It has to. Before that came out, I don't know what would've gotten it. Batman maybe?

Xenoblade Chronicles X is the real answer.

yami4ct

I kinda wanna see MGSV win most disappointing, if only because the patches and FOB shit just ruin it.

The patches are shitty and make the game worse for sure. I can't say it 'ruins' it, though. The fun of the game isn't locked behind the better equipment. If you progress more slowly on your stuff, that doesn't ruin the amazing gameplay that's still there.

yami4ct

don't think that will happen since most of them beat it before it became patched to shit.

Everyone admits that the patches make it worse. You also have Dan and Drew playing it together post patch as well as Alex and anyone else from the BEAST crew that's checking it out now.

The idea it'll win 'most disappointing' seems like a longshot. It will still easily be Top 3, and it deserves it IMO. Maybe they'll call out "MGSV's Patches' as a candidate for most disappointing, but not the game itself.

Joeku

Everyone admits that the patches make it worse. You also have Dan and Drew playing it together post patch as well as Alex and anyone else from the BEAST crew that's checking it out now.

The idea it'll win 'most disappointing' seems like a longshot. It will still easily be Top 3, and it deserves it IMO. Maybe they'll call out "MGSV's Patches' as a candidate for most disappointing, but not the game itself.

To expand further, I'd expect "Post-launch/post-review patches introducing shitty microtransactions" to be a Chiggity Check Yourself candidate. It has started, and it's going to continue to be a thing.

yami4ct

More likely for a "Stop yourself before you wigedy-wreck yourself".

I think Konami won't win the Please Stop award because they clearly are already doing that.

Patches that make the game worse are definitely a contender, though. If it isn't games introducing weird micro transactions or rebalances for existing ones, it's shit like the Witcher 3 patches actually making performance worse on consoles.

yami4ct

'Hottest Mess' Predictions:

Batman gets the easy win. Tony Hawk 5 second place and Fallout 4 console version a distant 3rd.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel like you guys really overdo how disappointed they were by Batman.

You could combine all their disappointment with Batman and it wouldn't touch Jeff's disappointment with THPS 5

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, even Jeff and Dan said their experience with the PC version was fine.

Most disappointing tends to be more about personal disappointments.

yami4ct

Yeah, even Jeff and Dan said their experience with the PC version was fine.

Most disappointing tends to be more about personal disappointments.

Even with personal experiences, Batman will get Hottest Mess purely because they pulled the game, put it back up months later and a good chunk of it was still busted for a lot of people.

I totally agree with Most Disappointing, Pre-THPS5, Batman had a chance. Nothing is going to outdo THPS5, though.

Jintor

batman was a disappointment, but i picked it up for cheap and it was okay and the story was a bit more interesting than i thought, so it wasn't that crazy bad

I got batman for free and I still haven't bothered playing it.

I should have traded it for my friend's DIRT rally code when I had the chance.

Edit: personal biggest disappointment for me has to be MGSV. That game was just not what I wanted it to be at all.

Joeku

Well, The Order had that Watch Dogs thing going for it where it was part of the sales pitch of the next generation of consoles. How soon before playing it did we all know it was shit? Wasn't it mostly via review time we all cast sidelong glances at each other and tugged on our collars?

Edit: And while I mostly agree with Mister Negative (hah) about MGSV, I didn't expect THAT much out of a post-MGS4 Kojima MGS. It still fell well under the bar, but I kinda felt like I saw it coming. And I really enjoyed Ground Zeroes,
vaginal
warts and all. The GB Crew certainly were okay with it at the very least. It'll do fine in the awards.

yami4ct

After Arkham City, I knew better than to get overhyped about Arkham Knight. It's clear that Rocksteady had no intentions on actually giving me the Asylum sequel I would want.

Well, The Order had that Watch Dogs thing going for it where it was part of the sales pitch of the next generation of consoles. How soon before playing it did we all know it was shit? Wasn't it mostly via review time we all cast sidelong glances at each other and tugged on our collars?

I knew it wasn't going to be good as soon as E3 impressions hit. All the previews I read basically said the game looked good and had 1 cool gun, but the rest was boring and standard.

Edit: And while I mostly agree with Mister Negative (hah) about MGSV, I didn't expect THAT much out of a post-MGS4 Kojima MGS. It still fell well under the bar, but I kinda felt like I saw it coming. And I really enjoyed Ground Zeroes,
vaginal
warts and all. The GB Crew certainly were okay with it at the very least. It'll do fine in the awards.

I liked The Order well enough. It was short, though. But man, those graphics. And the gameplay was fine, as well. The issue is the gameplay pacing (and balance of gameplay to cutscenes), as well as repeating moments (such as the mid-game boss fight being repurposed later) is not good at all. Hilariously, one level though, was literally all cutscene. But the story itself, the setting, the presentation, etc. was fun for me. I think it's worth the $10 it's going for on PSN right now (the deal ends Tuesday).

danm999

Yeah THPS5 has most disappointing on lock. Batman will runner up.

I doubt the Order will place since the Giant Bomb guys had few expectations for it. That came mostly from people hyping it up to give them something exclusive to play on their PS4; a tension not resolved until Bloodbourne.

You know what's great? We still have The Division to see.

is there anything else from that next gen sales pitch group that has yet to come out?

I feel like expectations for the division have been sufficiently tempered, so its mediocrity shouldn't be too surprising to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom