• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majine

Banned
Hf4I1Z8.png

Is this a christmas calendar thing?

M3z_

No way Batman comes in as most disappointing based on how they have talked about it on podcasts over this year. Brad reviewed it and liked it, Dan spent an entire weekend powering through it and liked it, Jason did pretty much the same and liked it, Alex thought it was at least enjoyable, Vinny was fond of it at the time it came out, but has said he hasn't beaten it(considering his game time not a huge insult). I dunno what Austin thought of it, but Jeff is the only one I know played it and felt it was definitely not for him. On top of that despite all the PC related issues, none of the GB peeps had anything negative to say about their time with it on PC. So I can totally see it winning a hottest mess award if that is a continued thing, but I can't imagine it even being much of a contender for most disappointing. If you don't focus on the narrative around the PC release, the majority of talk about Batman was entirely positive.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
My god the stripper discussion on the ryckert cast

dan sounding generally awkward for once

paul ryckert's "they fired you" burn

sweatpants

can't decide whether to continue

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Does anyone else avoid Dan-centric podcasts? I like him but I don't think I can handle that much Ryckert.

To be honest, I avoid almost all of the podcasts where I know I'll be getting zero games talk. Giant Bomb is my absolute favorite site, I'm premium and I devour the content. But I love those guys because they share the same passion as me, I don't hold them to such high esteem that I'd spend two hours of them just talking to their family members, that almost just seems odd to me.

I skip them, too. I'll happily listen to them talk about stuff other than games (like the Bomb After Reading podcast), and anecdotes that come up naturally are often what makes their podcast/video content great, but Dan already talks about himself and his stories so much more than anyone else. Some people love that so that's fine, and it's not like his stories aren't often funny/interesting, but I find it a bit too much and self-indulgent to be enjoyable at this point.

Sidenote: it's a bit like the guy who emailed the beastcast last week asking if the crew had any funny take-out call experiences. Paraphrasing vinny: "I don't think he's really asking, because he goes on to say: I do!"

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
No one will mention Trails in the Sky SC. I 100% guarantee it.
Wait...isn't that like a 10 year old PSP game?

It's interesting to look at the GB guys steam pages to see which games they are trying to play before GOTY Vinny playing Soma and Pillars of Eternity, Jeff playing Witcher 3 and Her Story and Drew playing Undertale and Life Is Strange.
Dave is actually clocking in the most hours, lol
http://steamcommunity.com/id/snide

Wait Drew's playing Life is Strange?
I can totally see a surprise push from Drew for it, if he continues playing it.

Oh neat.

And Steam really allows for an awful level of creepiness huh.
You can set it to private, but they didn't.

Uhh, someone might like himself some Invisible Inc.!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haha.

Undertale pretty mild spoilers (not really spoilers at all, but better be safe.

I wonder if austin's "Anime is real" quip comes from undertale.

jgminto

Haha.

Undertale pretty mild spoilers (not really spoilers at all, but better be safe.

I wonder if austin's "Anime is real" quip comes from undertale.
You don't need to play Undertale to know it's real. Speaking of Undertale, I just got it yesterday, played it past midnight and finished the Pacifist route today. What an amazing game. This year might end up being one of my favourite years for games by the time it's over. There have been multiple games that I would consider personal favourites and they are all completely different in style, tone and gameplay. So much better than the last few years.

Zaph

My god the stripper discussion on the ryckert cast

dan sounding generally awkward for once

paul ryckert's "they fired you" burn

sweatpants

can't decide whether to continue

It definitely had a couple funny moments, but wasn't as good as the other dan and paul podcasts - quite a bit of it could have stayed on the cutting room floor.

Renpatsu

It definitely had a couple funny moments, but wasn't as good as the other dan and paul podcasts - quite a bit of it could have stayed on the cutting room floor.
"People who don't value their time at all will listen to this bullshit."

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
"I wish there were more politically incorrect jokes on GB again and not the SJW-pandering bullshit that took over with Patshit ever since Ryan died."
31 thumbs up

-_-

the rise of patshit and the s j double yoos coincided with the decline in cleavage, ribald humour, and violence in saturday morning cartoons

Patryn

I think it's a moving studios thing.

Plus they're about to be recording all the GOTY stuff, which will likely take a few days.

Crazy time for them.

Also, I start a new job and I lose track of this thread and holy shit do you people post a shit ton.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You don't need to play Undertale to know it's real. Speaking of Undertale, I just got it yesterday, played it past midnight and finished the Pacifist route today. What an amazing game. This year might end up being one of my favourite years for games by the time it's over. There have been multiple games that I would consider personal favourites and they are all completely different in style, tone and gameplay. So much better than the last few years.

Just finished it myself too. The message was kinda hokey but I like its hokiness anyway. Definitely liked it a lot. If Alex liked napstablook I hope he does that thing in napsta's house.

Also kinda don't want to do the
genocide run.
Can't bring myself to do it.

danm999

"I wish there were more politically incorrect jokes on GB again and not the SJW-pandering bullshit that took over with Patshit ever since Ryan died."
31 thumbs up

-_-

I love how warped a view of reality some people have. Guys like Jeff and Ryan are secretly on their side but people like Patrick and Austin have tricked them using question mark into supporting even ess jay dubya tactics or some such.

It was part of what was so interesting about that saturday morning cartoon idiot; he respected Jeff and realized he had "ethics in gaming journalism" bona fides and thought he was desperately trying to break through to him in some way as though there was a spell on him.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
31 thumbs up

-_-

Those people have really selective memories in addition to being idiots. They obviously don't remember that one time Ryan slipped a homophobic slur and wrote a really sincere apology for it of his own volition.

LiK

hopefully they play far enough in most games to not be whining about spoilers like last year. there were a few games a few members were reluctant to discuss cuz of spoilers but hey, that's just how it rolls.

Myggen

31 thumbs up

-_-

I wouldn't mind someone complaining about SJW pandering or whatever imaginary slight, but the "ever since Ryan died" makes that such a scumbag sentiment.

tchocky

Those people have really selective memories in addition to being idiots. They obviously don't remember that one time Ryan slipped a homophobic slur and wrote a really sincere apology for it of his own volition.

Also Patrick was already in Chicago when Ryan died so his influence after Ryan on the site was diminished.

Megasoum

Banned
I passed a point of no return at some point in my adult life and can't bring myself to be a bad guy in games anymore :\

Nah, I'll be a bad guy if it's funny, but I don't want to do that to the characters in undertale.

The only games I've ever been able to play as the bad guy are the inFamous series cause those good guy powers always looked so fucking borring.

In any other games I play I just can't do it... I always have to be a good guy.

I passed a point of no return at some point in my adult life and can't bring myself to be a bad guy in games anymore :\

I can't be the bad guy as well because what you'll most likely get is the terrible and not real ending of the game so why bother? If I ever get to a second playthrough I'd probably be a bad guy.

The only games I've ever been able to play as the bad guy are the inFamous series cause those good guy powers always looked so fucking borring.

In any other games I play I just can't do it... I always have to be a good guy.

the ideal situation for me is anytime I can do good deeds but be a sarcastic jerk to people at the same time. Mass Effect was good at that.

LiK

being the good guy is always better cuz you tend just experience more content and the stories tend to be better that way. devs have a hard time making the stories and NPCs work well with a bad playthrough. if you kill off NPCs or act like a dick, that just locks out stuff so what's the point other than just being a dick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom