• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

I will say that some jokes made during the Persona 4 ER seem like they would draw more attention now. Didn't they call Naoto a ladyboy?

Watching some P4 ER relatively recently, there are absolutely some jokes made from Vinny and Jeff I noticed that would be rather controversial nowadays.

So, weird thing:
I searched "PassCode" and listened to some songs. I found it super fun, but I can't really explain why! I just liked it unconsciously.

they're not very "good" but they're really catchy and fun. diet music.

plus, Yuna screams like a banshee and is super cute so there's that

MNgPosk.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Watching some P4 ER relatively recently, there are absolutely some jokes made from Vinny and Jeff I noticed that would be rather controversial nowadays.

Nowadays? What do you mean? That endurance run was just recorded...seven...years ago...

justjim89

Yep, most definitely some "problematic" material in those episodes, and they're hilarious for it.

It's funny, it seems like a lot of the sensitive folks on tumblr miss the old school days of Giant Bomb, but they were punchier than ever back then compared to today and how relatively mild-mannered they are with their humor. Sure, Ryan apologized for saying a homophobic slur, but they definitely weren't exactly PC.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, though I seem to remember them coming mostly from vinny.

Eh whatever, people can change. I doubt it was anything mean-spirited either, just slightly less sensitive.

Zaph

Generally people become more deliberate with their choice of words as they get older. I think it's completely immaterial to whatever is going on in gaming.

LiK

Generally people become more deliberate with their choice of words as they get older. I think it's completely immaterial to whatever is going on in gaming.

true, you become more mature as you get older. well, some people do.

TraBuch

Banned
That GG dude is an idiot but he's not necessarily wrong about them being a bit more tame now than they used to be. Luckily, I have Jim Jefferies and Louis CK to watch when I wanna see some very un-PC shit. Not Anthony Jeselnik, though, that dude sucks. Especially his delivery. Every joke is delivered the same fucking way.

Watching some of the old Best of Giant Bomb videos, and I wish we had more crazy stuff like Wappy Dog or the Kinect videos. The video game market and its weird products just aren't what they used to be.

Xater

problem is i started wasteland 2 and gave up in about half an hour because it wasn't actually very fun to play.

xcom has spoiled me for anything from that damn camera angle now

Don't agree. I loved Wasteland 2.

I like it more than Divinity Original Sin. Not more than Pillar sof Eternity though.

also the state of understanding and acceptance of transgenderism has changed so much over just the past few years that any reasonable person would have adjusted their views and vocabulary appropriately.

it's not about being PC or going soft, it's about being a decent human being. calling someone a "tranny" or "f****t" doesn't make you some comedic un-PC genius. just makes you a dickbag.

TraBuch

Banned
also the state of understanding and acceptance of transgenderism has changed so much over just the past few years that any reasonable person would have adjusted their views and vocabulary appropriately.

it's not about being PC or going soft, it's about being a decent human being. calling someone a "tranny" or "f****t" doesn't make you some comedic un-PC genius. just makes you a dickbag.
Naw, Jim Jefferies and Louis CK are comedic geniuses.

I wouldn't really call Louis CK "un-PC" or whatever. His bits that deal with that usually have a pretty socially progressive slant to them (specifically thinking here of the bit about "the n-word" being a cheap way for white newscasters to avoid feeling guilty about racial slurs)

TraBuch

Banned
And how much of that genius is attributable to "edginess" (by which I mean usage of borderline (or not borderline) slurs and not actual edginess)?
I'm not saying they're geniuses because they're edgy, I'm saying they're geniuses and happen to use "faggot" and make transgender jokes.

Dragon

Banned
the good ol' days when people weren't offended by every lil comment.

Calling someone a ladyboy is shitty regardless. It wasn't such a big deal then, but saying it was the good ol' days when gay people didn't even have the right to get married in the USA I think is pretty shitty. Culture changes over time, but when you watch mainstream shows that still use the word 'tranny' I think there is a long way to go. Easy for someone to say who doesn't have empathy or isn't in a group that's denigrated.

klonere

Banned
Meh, certain parts of the humor in the P4 ER isn't exactly that funny. The ladyboy comments, use of the word slut and a bunch of other stuff just comes off as a bit sophomore-ish.

Doesn't detract from the majesty of the whole thing though. What a piece of art that ER is.

EDIT: Shoehorning SEX into everything that happens in the game is very appropriate for a game all about teens in high school however.

demidar

When you're doing a 100+ hour video series, working out of a basement at your new start up, you kinda run out of things to talk about even with a more lax vocabulary.

It's not just the GB guys that have matured their vocabulary over the last decade. There are multiple long running podcasts that I've marathon'd over the last couple years and they've all evolved in the things they say.

MBMBAM for instance, one episode they even briefly remark about their earlier episodes having some stuff they aren't that psyched about.

Nero18

I always feel like that is such a sad argument to make. Guess what, people most often improve with time, saying someone changed is probably a compliment.

demidar

When I went back through the Idle Thumbs backlog they actually did say 'rape' in a jokey manner. Then their listeners told them to knock that shit off and they completely stopped. That was probably 5 years ago.

It's not just the GB guys that have matured their vocabulary over the last decade. There are multiple long running podcasts that I've marathon'd over the last couple years and they've all evolved in the things they say.

MBMBAM for instance, one episode they even briefly remark about their earlier episodes having some stuff they aren't that psyched about.
MBMBaM are great at owning up to it when they realize they were ignorant about something. The transition from "haha furries are weirdos" to "oh wait we actually have lots of furry listeners and they're not any less valid than any other subculture" is exactly the way that stuff should be handled. And even afterwards they still bring up that furries in a funny, positive way rather than treating it like it's poison.

LiK

Calling someone a ladyboy is shitty regardless. It wasn't such a big deal then, but saying it was the good ol' days when gay people didn't even have the right to get married in the USA I think is pretty shitty. Culture changes over time, but when you watch mainstream shows that still use the word 'tranny' I think there is a long way to go. Easy for someone to say who doesn't have empathy or isn't in a group that's denigrated.

when was ladyboy considered an insult? Vinny figured it was a girl dressed as a boy right away in that ER. he was joking about it cuz the game was pretty bad at hiding it cuz of the VO.

daydream

Banned
alright, listen up, folks. like last week and the week before that, i'll be out and about when the bombcast might drop. if you could sit tight till i'm home (won't be late, i promise), that'd be super

LiK

alright, listen up, folks. like last week and the week before that, i'll be out and about when the bombcast might drop. if you could sit tight till i'm home (won't be late, i promise), that'd be super

just have it ready in google docs and then update the link and post in mobile.

justjim89

I think the changes have certainly been just kind of a natural evolution of them growing older and more mature, and not necessarily a product of today's cultural climate. Like has been said, it's happened to a lot of groups and podcasts. Even The Comedy Button, which is about as crass and sophomoric as it gets, has more or less retired some of the more ugly words they used to use fairly often like "retard" and "slut." Although they still call their drinking episodes The Alcoholocaust, so there's that.

TraBuch

Banned
just internet edgelords worried about their own ability to say slurs being diminished when public personalities stop using them.
I can't tell if this is directed at me, but I'm not condoning people calling others trannies or faggots. All I said is that if I wanna hear some un-PC comedy, I'd watch Jim Jefferies or Louis CK. You then said that using those words doesn't mean you're a comedy genius, and all I'm saying is that they do use those words and are comedy geniuses.

demidar

I think the changes have certainly been just kind of a natural evolution of them growing older and more mature, and not necessarily a product of today's cultural climate. Like has been said, it's happened to a lot of groups and podcasts. Even The Comedy Button, which is about as crass and sophomoric as it gets, has more or less retired some of the more ugly words they used to use fairly often like "retard" and "slut." Although they still call their drinking episodes The Alcoholocaust, so there's that.

That got a snort out of me.

killroy87

it wasn't

but there seems to be a running theme on gaf lately of people who seem real upset when certain words and actions are deemed "not okay." that blackface thread for example.

There is certainly a large swatch of people, not just on Gaf, that take any form of cultural maturation as cencorship and the public at large becoming weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom