• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

There is certainly a large swatch of people, not just on Gaf, that take any form of cultural maturation as cencorship and the public at large becoming weaker.

While being blissfully unaware that the only reason we live such comfortable lives in the modern world is because of humanity's natural desire to improve and better ourselves in every way.

Playstation experience countdown.

t1449338400z4.png

Vinny is so goddamn far away from getting to the Mun and back. The problem is, getting into orbit of the Mun should be relatively trivial, but he had to put together this massive Frankenrocket to get there. He won't have enough fuel to land and take off, so his solution will be to add more fuel, which will add weight and end up making it harder on him.

While sandbox mode gives you the benefit of autopilot and maneuver nodes it also gives you access to all the parts and unlimited money so you don't learn how to make efficient rockets. Asparagus staging is a interesting, but higher level concept that is needlessly complicated for a Mun trip.

Lunar FC

Vinny is so goddamn far away from getting to the Mun and back. The problem is, getting into orbit of the Mun should be relatively trivial, but he had to put together this massive Frankenrocket to get there. He won't have enough fuel to land and take off, so his solution will be to add more fuel, which will add weight and end up making it harder on him.

While sandbox mode gives you the benefit of autopilot and maneuver nodes it also gives you access to all the parts and unlimited money so you don't learn how to make efficient rockets. Asparagus staging is a interesting, but higher level concept that is needlessly complicated for a Mun trip.

I played kerbal for like 20 hours and never got even close to the mun. :/

BearPawB

Banned

I mean, it was one episode!
I am glad he is far away. It would be a bummer if he got it on first shot.

LiK

No, when someone asked on his Tumblr if they were going to talk over it Jeff said "No, I’m looking to attend the show in person." I'm assuming he probably won't be the only one from the office attending.

maybe we should just get one where they watch an archive.

he very nearly landed on Mun with some fuel in reserve and the only reason he didn't land was because human error/landing is hard. but man, getting there with the ship he built seems almost more like luck than skill. he brute-forced his way into orbit. I think with some practice he could land and take off again with minimal adjustments.

but then there's the matter of Kerbin re-entry. the ship he's built doesn't stand a chance. he's going to need to retrograde burn pretty hard (which he won't have fuel for) and he's going to rip his parachute 100% of the time. safest/easiest bet would be to put a heat shield on the capsule, some better parachutes, and jettison everything else before hitting atmosphere.

BearPawB

Banned
It's not really one episode. They've done a bunch of Kerbal content in the past and his ticket design has always been real slapdash. Less is more in KSP.

I guess im just tired of the sea of "you are playing it wrongs"

I don't care if he never successfully lands. It's fun content.

my thoughts exactly, stump

I mean his parachute didn't even survive an in-atmosphere deployment, nevermind re-entry speeds

but I guess he could just cheat and eject/jetpack his way to safety again

for the record, I'm totally fine with him playing it "wrong," and it's almost guaranteed to be more fun that way

I just like pointing out where the flaws in his design lie

Nero18

Hearing people talk about Kerbal is just the coolest thing though, don't mind people trying to help. Doesn't seem as snarky as with Metal Gear Scanlon.

killroy87

I hope we get some Rainbow Six content this week. Hopefully they mention it on the bombcast, though I know there was a review event (which they tend to avoid) so there's a good chance none of them have played it.

BearPawB

Banned
Hearing people talk about Kerbal is just the coolest thing though, don't mind people trying to help. Doesn't seem as snarky as with Metal Gear Scanlon.

Hearing people talk about Kerbel IS the coolest thing.

Hearing people moan that Vinny isn't a lliteral rocket scientist isn't.

There are hundreds of youtubers of successful mun landings/reentries. I guess I am saying I don't need this to be that.

I don't want VInny to make the best rocket. I want him to pull it off with his ramshackle piece of crap. Underdog Vinny is the best Vinny.

Like, yes. Vinny could go copy a ship he know will work. But where is the fun in that?

yeah I'm definitely not trying to say "pfft what an idiot." or even trying to help him. the most entertaining things to do with KSP are

- fail
- succeed where you had every reason to fail

understanding why things fail and figuring out how to overcome them is basically the entire point of KSP though (and honestly how the actual space program happened) so it's fun to talk about.

Could his Kerbal survive re-entry without a ship?

not until he's already in atmosphere. after that, some careful jetpack use could probably get you the rest of the way. hooray terminal velocity.

but, that's pretty much the one thing I'm going to call bullshit on. either land the vessel or it's a failure in my book. abusing the game's lax handling of Kerbal (people) physics defeats the purpose.

e: unless he decides he has to send a rescue mission, in which case I'll allow it :p

BearPawB

Banned
yeah I'm definitely not trying to say "pfft what an idiot." or even trying to help him. the most entertaining things to do with KSP are

- fail
- succeed where you had every reason to fail

understanding why things fail and figuring out how to overcome them is basically the entire point of KSP though (and honestly how the actual space program happened) so it's fun to talk about.

Yeah, sorry,
Wasn't trying to infer that you were saying that.

I think talking about what is wrong with his ship is super interesting.

I guess I just don't know why people are surprised that he is so far off.

I hope we get some Rainbow Six content this week. Hopefully they mention it on the bombcast, though I know there was a review event (which they tend to avoid) so there's a good chance none of them have played it.

Saw Jeff playing it for a while on Xbox One so it'll get mentioned.

I wonder why Dan and Jason "both wanted out of GameInformer"

Dan's been honest about it before. He wanted to do dumb Dan stuff like the rollercoaster video and could never get it to happen. at GB he gets license to do a lot of the silly stuff he wants to do, for an audience who actually appreciates it. mostly.

Not sure about Jason but I'd have to imagine his current job is more fun at the bare minimum.

Zaph

I wonder why Dan and Jason "both wanted out of GameInformer"

Going by what they've mentioned, sounds like they enjoyed their time there, but it was a print-first publication with a minor focus on video, so a lot of what they wanted to do was met with "No."

Not sure about Jason but I'd have to imagine his current job is more fun at the bare minimum.

I'd imagine - 'Lets check today's video editing to-do list... oh, editing out the swearing on another Replay video. Great'

daydream

Banned
i wonder. looking at gi's video output, it doesn't seem like it's less than gb west puts out on their own. but yeah, dan's talked about it before and gave the reasons the peeps above me mentioned

not until he's already in atmosphere. after that, some careful jetpack use could probably get you the rest of the way. hooray terminal velocity.

but, that's pretty much the one thing I'm going to call bullshit on. either land the vessel or it's a failure in my book. abusing the game's lax handling of Kerbal (people) physics defeats the purpose.

e: unless he decides he has to send a rescue mission, in which case I'll allow it :p
Glad to hear that he won't be able to cheese it too much. Though I suspect that Vinny won't be satisfied with cheating.

Strax

I think its just the phrase "wanted out" feels, at least when I use it, to be really serious.

The reasons above might be serious too them, dno.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
jeff gerstmann on the beastcast?

:D

e: this is my scoop don't take this from me

This Kerbal game intrigues me. How welcoming is it to someone that has very little knowledge of any sort of engineering?

Career mode does a good job of easing you into things by slowly doling out parts and giving you contracts to aim for. You certainly don't need to do any math or worry about thrust-to-weight ratios, or delta-v or stuff like that. It certainly doesn't require that level of precision unless you want to be super efficient. Just mostly worry about keeping things simple and keeping them relatively symmetrical.

I think it's fun until he stops making progress, and he really hasn't made much progress since the Quick Look, or even the early access videos they did. It's obvious he looked at a guide or wiki since he knows about asparagus staging and to tilt 45° during launch (which he can't actually do since his rockets are too unwieldy).

I've probably put in twice as many hours into the game as Vinny has, and even I struggle to consistently make round trips to the Mun (in reality, Minimus is actually a lot easier because of how little gravity there is you could land with RCS thruster power).

Scizzy

I would also guess that the opportunity to live in San Francisco on a livable wage rather than Minneapolis would be a major pull for many people. Not Dan of course, but probably Jason.

Career mode does a good job of easing you into things by slowly doling out parts and giving you contracts to aim for. You certainly don't need to do any math or worry about thrust-to-weight ratios, or delta-v or stuff like that. It certainly doesn't require that level of precision unless you want to be super efficient. Just mostly worry about keeping things simple and keeping them relatively symmetrical.

it's pretty funny how quickly it escalates from "go really fast" to "ferry 3 people to Mun" though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom