• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Jeff Gerstakalar
Great
I only liked the first game.

They decided to make the second game open world and I completely lost interest.

There's just something about how fucking perfect and tight that first game was designed. Fucking great.

No idea how anyone can say the second game is better.
I think a lot of studios could have put out better products had they looked at Arkham Asylum instead of making their games full open worlds.

Xater

There's just something about how fucking perfect and tight that first game was designed. Fucking great.

It isn't, but everything has to be open world now and have lots of bloat.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Me too. Every open world Batman game is mediocre at best, while Arkham Asylum was great. And Knight has more bullshit than the others, so I guess I'm fine with calling it the worst.

agreed. it's the perfect amount of world/game/content, it's actually kind of remarkable how well it all came together. even the bonus stuff like Riddler trophies were just right in number and challenge.

Arkham City has the only good boss fight in the series, so there's that, I guess. But yeah, Asylum is my favorite by a lot.

Strax

Archive is already up on jefflr.moe. Rainbow Six impressions are starting at around 8 minutes in.

.m4a

camby.png

Lelcar

Same. I even liked the Batmobile stuff. (For some reason I felt oddly good at it)

I got every single Riddler thing in Arkham Knight. I think that game does fanservice perfectly.

I thought the Batmobile stuff was very fun, and the story and tone of AK is so fucked up, it's crazy. I also got all the Riddler trophies in this one, which I have never done in the past games. I really liked Arkham Knight's world. I wouldn't say it's my favorite game in the Arkham series, but I did like it a lot. Origins is not great because it's formulaic in a way that the Rocksteady games very much aren't, it reminds me of the first Assassin's Creed.
Arkham City has the only good boss fight in the series, so there's that, I guess. But yeah, Asylum is my favorite by a lot.
That Mr. Freeze fight is one of my favorites.

TraBuch

Banned
Goddammit. I'm trying to sub for a month of PS+ so I can download last month's games before they go away but I keep getting some error and the purchase won't go through.

Strax

Arkham games (not counting the WB:M one) are all great but the first started out with a great setting, good writing and good and fun combat.
Arkham City made the combat better and more fluid but everything else got worse.
Arkham Knight made the combat better and more fluid but everything else got worse.

They just got too hung up on gadgets and side stuff. Arkham Knight is also the best case I've seen not to listen to fans. From the moment AA came out people wanted the Batmobile and I'm 99% sure the people making the games said "Nah, doesn't work in this type of games" and ofcourse most of the fans (at least on GAF) hated it. The side stuff should've been one offs, Like "Hey, Two-Face is robbing this bank, go get him" and after that its over, you get Two-Face. Not having him be at 3-4 banks.

killroy87

Arkham games (not counting the WB:M one) are all great but the first started out with a great setting, good writing and good and fun combat.
Arkham City made the combat better and more fluid but everything else got worse.
Arkham Knight made the combat better and more fluid but everything else got worse.

They just got too hung up on gadgets and side stuff. Arkham Knight is also the best case I've seen not to listen to fans. From the moment AA came out people wanted the Batmobile and I'm 99% sure the people making the games said "Nah, doesn't work in this type of games" and ofcourse most of the fans (at least on GAF) hated it. The side stuff should've been one offs, Like "Hey, Two-Face is robbing this bank, go get him" and after that its over, you get Two-Face. Not having him be at 3-4 banks.

I'm not sure how long it will take, but Arkham Origins will at some point in the future as one of the most underrated games on last gen. The story is, far and away, the best of the series. And the gameplay is pretty much the same, thus it's rock solid.

*to be clear, Asylum will always be my favorite. I just mean to say that Origins is still a great game, and is unfairly scrutinized solely because a separate team handled it.

LiK

Arkham Knight needed boss battles and all of them were regulated to that bullshit Batmobile. I wanted some 1v1 action. haven't played Origins but at least that has that.

Strax

I'm not sure how long it will take, but Arkham Origins will at some point in the future as one of the most underrated games on last gen. The story is, far and away, the best of the series. And the gameplay is pretty much the same, thus it's rock solid.

Origins is good. Best setup after AA but it would've been better without Joker.
Playing as Joker while kinda falling in love with Batman was neat in a way but there is no payoff. Dude was insane before, doing terrible shit for no real reason besides having fun and now he's doing the same stuff as before but its because he wants to get the attention from Batman. The Dark Knight touch on that note but did it much better.

Also having Joker in next Batman game, in a top 10 performance in all video games by Mark Hamil, after he died in AC]. Doesn't matter if its prequel. Just nah.

daydream

Banned
recently went outside with a fellow student after the seminar, we were talking about adorno, and he totally pulled out his rig or whatever

i doubt he is into vaping culture, though

Joeku

Arkham City had the only good Rocksteady boss fight. Origins destroyed them in this regard.

Like kilroy said, people are going to realize one day that Origins might secretly be the best or second best of them all, once it's out of the spectre of
"Aww man, ANOTHER Joker game? :("

jaina

I need a verdict re: this very important matter

https://vine.co/v/iWZLqr2lTVz

is this a middle finger or index finger?

TIA
The related vine was a middle finger one, so I'm agreeing with your choice.
Jeff thinks AC:Syndicate is better than he expected it to be.
I got a nvidia code from my brother last week, and I've sat down several evenings to play it. Controls well and has a good mission structure. Sneaking is almost as fun as MGSV, even with far fewer tools. Finished Brotherhood in summer, so I can compare it to the series' prime entry.

Watching Patrick struggle so much with this (relatively) simple jump makes me want to see him play the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2.

That game's just dogshit.

killroy87

No, he thought both Minerva and Shadow were pretty meh for how much praise they got during the deliberation.

Ah, i see. Do we remember which he thought should have won?

Also, I liked the email in last week's Bombcast that had all of them, including Brad, concede that Arkham Asylum should have won over Uncharted 2. I'm listening to that cast now and it's really fun (also, 2009 was a great year!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom