• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, I'm reading up on undertale stuff and the implications of a
genocide run and also how even the order you play things affects your interactions and fuuuuck.

This game is pretty cool.

Xater

The funny part is, unless I'm forgetting something big (which is entirely possible), I don't think there are any examples of these full-priced multiplayer-centric FPS' that really thrived for a good long time on consoles. The idea hasn't even been proven!

Titanfall so far probably has done the best, but it didn't hold a big community either. So yeah, so far it has not really worked out.

Except maybe these companies save so much on not doing a campaign that the moderate success is enough to make a profit.

Also on the topic of R6: Man does that game look barebones. Just as bad as Battlefront. Well at least they are not charging for maps I guess. What is it with this new breed of MP only shooters coming with so little content? Seriously, you can't just cut out campaigns and then still deliver less MP content than the newest COD or Halo. Not a good look at all.

Yet it kept bringing me back to it. Only this and Halo 5 did it for me this year when it comes to FPS games, moreso R6 because of the intensity, team commitment and the adrenaline rush being real addicting. Playing with friends is a blast and since most of the level is destructible, it gives a sense of randomness and variation not seen in other FPS MP games because you don't know what's going to happen next as opposed to other games where you wouldn't worry about the other player as long as you're hiding behind a wall.

Some dude could punch a small hole on the wall and shoot your ass to death with a silenced weapon and you're left scratching your head as to what the fuck just happened.

Edit: It's also more of the case that we just don't see tactical shooters on consoles anymore. I just hope we get to see more from this intense, slow and planning type of gameplay. I haven't bought the game yet but I played the alpha and beta alot. Getting the game soon.

daydream

Banned
The funny part is, unless I'm forgetting something big (which is entirely possible), I don't think there are any examples of these full-priced multiplayer-centric FPS' that really thrived for a good long time on consoles. The idea hasn't even been proven!

splatoon is doing pretty well, still, afaik

although that's got a creatively substantial and cool singleplayer component, as well, while continuing to get dlc support that is still 100% free. an exemplary way of handling such a game. it obviously helps that it is the freshest shooter in years and will continue to be till superhot comes out for realsies

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be pretty psyched if DL was the hill Brad chooses to die on. It was definitely a top 10 game.

I thought it was dull as shit. Played it for 3 hours and refunded it on Steam. If you're gonna shove a bunch of story down my throat, at least make it the least bit interesting. Didn't care for the night-time stealth mechanics at all either. Also I suspect it gets better after a few more hours and skills unlocked but I didn't care enough to stick around and find out. The parkour mechanics didn't gel with the open-world design well either imo.

Alfredo

PAX Wrestling is coming to PAX South.

Man, and I decided to skip out on PAX South next year! I'm never going to get to attend one of these video game wrestling events live!

I know Jeff already said he won't be going, so I wonder if anyone from the Giant Bomb crew will be representing at "Southern Slam." If so, I gotta find me some PAX passes so I can revisit San Antonio's famous monument: that wax statue of John Cena across from the Alamo.

daydream

Banned
that's nearly as contentious as the tsundere of the year or best uguu

all i know is star ocean 5 has got best uguu on lock next year

ErxbP7a.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Was it positive or negative?

It was a good game but nothing special. I mean it probably would have been a heavy GOTY favorite if it had come out in 2014. But against this year's competition it's pretty far behind.

I don't know, it put it in perspective for me when Jeff said the first two games were great.

Because I don't think Arkham City is great at all, personally. I think it might be the worst one.

Lelcar

I'd be pretty psyched if DL was the hill Brad chooses to die on. It was definitely a top 10 game.

Dying Light is fantastic. It's the best first person parkouring I've ever seen, I doubt even the new Mirror's Edge will do it better. The co-op was well done too. I had fun throughout that whole game on random online co-op. The weapons are fun too, especially if you get in a game with people who like to share weird weapons. Definitely top ten.
It's a pretty good game and it is also one that played extremely well in co-op.
The co-op really makes the game. It's very good. Sometimes you'll get people who don't want to do missions and just dick around, but for the most part I was in groups with people who were on the same page as me.

Zaph

I stopped playing Dying Light because fuck weapon degradation.

I thought that would suck, but the combination of the game's weapon economy, durability mods, and the talent for a chance to not degrade a weapon, all made it completely manageable.

yami4ct

Do we get a bombcast today? or are they busy prepping for GOTY?

Absolutely. They've never missed a Tuesday AFAIK. I think Jeff confirmed yesterday that it's going to be a real long one as well.

splatoon is doing pretty well, still, afaik

although that's got a creatively substantial and cool singleplayer component, as well, while continuing to get dlc support that is still 100% free. an exemplary way of handling such a game. it obviously helps that it is the freshest shooter in years and will continue to be till superhot comes out for realsies

Splatoon is such a beautiful and special beast and it proves to me that MP focused games can be worth full price if supported correctly. Even without the SP, I would be happy with the game at full price. It helps that the game plays so damn well too.

FStop7

Banned
I wish Patrick could still participate in GOTY debates even though he's now a YouTube Phenomenon and works for wretched Gawktaku.

Heimbeck

Banned
It's a very flexible and easy co-op experience. All progress is saved whether you're in your own game or someone else's and anyone can drop in/out at anytime without the game stopping or anything.

Yeah sounds cool.
I seem to remember it not working around launch though, but I guess every big game needs to be broken somehow otherwise it's not legit.

AcridMeat

Banned
Wow I almost forgot this discussion happened. Listening to day 2 of last years goty podcasts

vinny: "did you say vagina bomb?"
Dan trying to build an argument for Ground Zeroes having the best story was hilarious. Or at the very least that there is a story and that it's good.

Also completely forgot about the resurgence from last year's deliberations, and WWE supercard.

danm999

Dan trying to build an argument for Ground Zeroes having the best story was hilarious. Or at the very least that there is a story and that it's good.

Had he been listening to Bombing the AM he might have realised the live mine he was stepping on there.

Tubobutts

Also completely forgot about the resurgence from last year's deliberations, and WWE supercard.

I look forward to him trying to nominate MGSV for every category.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Austin's latest essay is so, so good. Goddamn that man can write. Heart and head in one huggable package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom