• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
IgGnvg3.png

Ahhhhh, and so it begins.

I don't get people who want their games to be pure and precious. I hope it's a shooter game, just to see the angst.

yami4ct

I don't get people who want their games to be pure and precious. I hope it's a shooter game, just to see the angst.

They already made an FF7 shooter. It was just the worst. Even having one of the few interesting characters in FF7 as the staring role couldn't save it.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. The game that some people want, exactly FF7 with advanced 3D graphics, cannot exist for so many reasons. And that's cool. I'll be interested to see what they do with it. If it's an action game, that's cool as long as it's a good one. There are cool things you could do with it being turn based as well. I'm probably one of the few people that would really dig a FF XIII derived battle system.

As long as they completely overhaul the awful materia system, I'm cool with whatever other gameplay tweaks they do.

I mean they could keep the matiera system for all I care, who knows how that thing would feel with action-y combat that isn't turn based? They should just try and bunch of stuff and find something fun. I think that's what everyone wishes they did every time they make one of these "Final Fantasy"s. Sadly, they never really iterate on their designs, so who knows what would and wouldn't be fun with these systems. That's why we have sequels! Keep the fun stuff and remove the un-fun. The exact reason so many people like game 2 of a series more than game 1.

killroy87

Bombcaaaaaaast

Brad Shoemaker ‏@bradshoemaker 1m1 minute ago
I don't mind saying that podcast has in it what may be the funniest ad read I've ever heard.

Suck it, Premium Feed!

IgGnvg3.png

Ahhhhh, and so it begins.

Nothing Square could do besides remaking the entire game the same exact way with HD graphics could make the diehards of that game happy (and even then they would dig really hard to find reasons to hate it). Even if this game is better, they're still not gonna be happy because its not the same thing.

SE is better off remaking it to appeal to the non-diehard fans and people who've never played it before, because the game that the diehards like is already there for them to play whenever they want.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I think there's a pretty solid reason to be worried about this even if you don't really care about how closely they stick to the source material. The entire FF13 trilogy, for example. But of course, a lot of people are purists. I predict precisely no one is going to be happy with whatever it ends up being because there's no possible way they can please everyone and will fail trying.

Also listening to Arrow Pointing Down again, it's weird hearing Jeff and Ryan throw around "retarded" casually.

yami4ct

I mean they could keep the matiera system for all I care, who knows how that thing would feel with action-y combat that isn't turn based? They should just try and bunch of stuff and find something fun. I think that's what everyone wishes they did every time they make one of these "Final Fantasy"s. Sadly, they never really iterate on their designs, so who knows what would and wouldn't be fun with these systems. That's why we have sequels! Keep the fun stuff and remove the un-fun. The exact reason so many people like game 2 of a series more than game 1.

If you're only playing 1 character at a time, the current Materia system might kind of be OK. My problem with it is that it turns every character into a blank slate jack of all trades and ruins character development. Pretty much any character can play any role, so why care about your party decisions?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
If you're only playing 1 character at a time, the current Materia system might kind of be OK. My problem with it is that it turns every character into a blank slate jack of all trades and ruins character development. Pretty much any character can play any role, so why care about your party decisions?

Whilst I see your point, I always enjoyed this because it allowed you to take your favourite characters rather than having to pick the healer, the fighter, the thief etc.

AKA the bro squad; Cloud, Cid, Barret (and sometimes) Vincent

Rainmaker

Banned
Pausing the Ryckert Thanksgiving podcast halfway through for the Bombcast. I have to say the Ryckert podcast is somehow very endearing. Really fun listen.

With this and Gerstmann being on the Beastcast I'm looking to see if my prediction of Jeff and Austin having the secret best chemistry is true.

The already heavily spoiled plot point of the game meant nothing because that character is easily replaceable from a gameplay perspective. The narrative perspective is more subjective, but I'm probably the last person to tell you that game, let alone that certain character, had anything resembling a compelling narrative.

yami4ct

Whilst I see your point, I always enjoyed this because it allowed you to take your favourite characters rather than having to pick the healer, the fighter, the thief etc.

AKA the bro squad; Cloud, Cid, Barret (and sometimes) Vincent

The fact that every character is the same makes parties all feel generic. It's the absolute worst in my opinion. So what if I can use any set of characters I might like for story reasons? Gameplay-wise, the characters have zero personality. It makes the entire battle system fall apart for me.

The already heavily spoiled plot point of the game meant nothing because that character is easily replaceable from a gameplay perspective. The narrative perspective is more subjective, but I'm probably the last person to tell you that game, let alone that certain character, had anything resembling a compelling narrative.

Yep. Imagine how much of an extra loss you'd feel if you had to rebuild a healer from scratch and they never could be quite as good?

hamchan

I think there's a pretty solid reason to be worried about this even if you don't really care about how closely they stick to the source material. The entire FF13 trilogy, for example. But of course, a lot of people are purists. I predict precisely no one is going to be happy with whatever it ends up being because there's no possible way they can please everyone and will fail trying.

Also listening to Arrow Pointing Down again, it's weird hearing Jeff and Ryan throw around "retarded" casually.

A very solid reason. The only good Final Fantasy games in the last 9 years have been an MMO (which was still a disaster at first) and a rhythm game. No one should have any faith in Square Enix at this point to do anything good in this remake.

yami4ct

A very solid reason. The only good Final Fantasy games in the last 9 years have been an MMO (which was still a disaster at first) and a rhythm game. No one should have any faith in Square Enix at this point to do anything good in this remake.

I like FFXIII for battle system reasons and I like the direction FF XV seems to be going. I think there's a good reason for non-purists to still be excited.

FF XIII was a game plagued by development issues and Square having a tough time transitioning to next-gen. The sequels were quick cash ins to recoup the huge technical development costs. There is no evidence to believe VII R will suffer those problems.

I have so many podcasts to listen to for my commute! Still got some of the last beastcast to finish, the Ryckert podcast and now this massive Bombcast.

Besides smart phone spin offs, Toriyama was the only one to really direct any mainline FF games in the last 9 years. The remake is by Nomura, who's probably the one person on staff you could have faith in to deliver a good game besides maybe Yoshi P. Of course with Nomura still working on KH3 which nobody even knows if its releasing next year, I'm thinking the FF7:R is still a good 3-4 years away at the least.

Well and I really like Yoko Taro as well, but his games definitely aren't for everyone.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I was about to fight you but then I realized FF12 is indeed that old and I am an old

shit

The "Giant Bummer" reaction is going to look amazingly prescient to a lot of people down the line.

The guys on staff are ambivalent towards it for different reasons. While purists are really excited and are also worried that the game won't be as perfect as they'd like it to be, GB could care less what Square does with it, but don't really care about the game being remade in the first place.

danm999

The guys on staff are ambivalent towards it for different reasons. While purists are really excited and are also worried that the game won't be as perfect as they'd like it to be, GB could care less what Square does with it.

I think Brad said something of a variation on you'll make no one happy if you fuck up the mix that E3 and people seem to be catching on finally.

I think Brad said something of a variation on you'll make no one happy if you fuck up the mix that E3 and people seem to be catching on finally.

Well if the game's bad, no one's gonna be happy. That's just common sense. The problem for some people is that "fucking up" means two completely different things to the huge fans and Square Enix.

danm999

Well if the game's bad, no one's gonna be happy. That's just common sense. The problem for some people is that "fucking up" means two completely different things to the huge fans and Square Enix.

Yeah in the sense there's going to be a tension between keeping things the same and changing or updating things. Like will they change any story stuff and how will people react to that.

Giant Bomb not being excited for a FFVII remake is not prescient, they just don't care.

I'm saying Brad articulated exactly why people would end up being unhappy.

daydream

Banned
i dunno, people like jeremy parish or kat bailey really know their jrpgs and they've gone on record saying that lightning returns has some interesting stuff going on but is mostly bogged down by the story elements. it's not that crazy an opinion, in any case

i dunno, people like jeremy parish or kat bailey really know their jrpgs and they've gone on record saying that lightning returns has some interesting stuff going on but is mostly bogged down by the story elements. it's not that crazy an opinion, in any case

You could say that about the whole trilogy.

danm999

It felt to me like a weird mix of FFXIII-2, FFX-2 and Majora's Mask.

daydream

Banned
You could say that about the whole trilogy.

well, they specifically said that it's a clear step above the previous two games in the trilogy which they more or less thrashed. all it takes is one or two people making a level-headed argument for a game i haven't played to give it the benefit of the doubt. people dogpiling on it really doesn't tell me anything

It felt to me like a weird mix of FFXIII-2, FFX-2 and Majora's Mask.

having the played the demo for it (and for ffxiii-2), i can totally see that, yes

honestly, my biggest criticism for the demo was "this voice reminding me about the apocalypse or whatever won't shut the fuck up"

AcridMeat

Banned
Day 5 (Best Game) deliberations from last year is so funny to go back to. Jeff dislikes everything people like hahaha it's amazing. Yet this year I can see him being so much more positive about a lot of stuff. I'm excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom