• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Story time…

I noticed a year ago, that Giant Bomb had slowed down the Bombcast intro music. 'They must be getting the itch to change things up over there,' I thought to myself and went on about my business. No big deal.

Fast forward a year later to tonight, I'm in the process of trying out the Bombcast in a new podcast app when I noticed something was off.

The intro song was now sped up again except now everyone is talking super fast. And with the 8-person ensemble cast, my brain was having trouble keeping up.

I pause the app convinced its broken. Return to my old podcast app when I make a very unfortunate discovery.

It turns out I must've accidentally set my Podcast app set to 0.75x speed for the last year.

Using some rough math, that means it takes me 4 hours to listen to a 3 hour Bombcast. Assuming an average of a 3 hour weekly podcast. It means I've been losing 1 hour each week, for the last year. That's about 2 days. On just the Bombcast! Things get even more depressing when you factor in the other 2-3 podcasts I listen to.

The part I can't reconcile is how I noticed the slow intro song, but not the slower speaking voices. And even further, why watching things like UPF never felt off.

I'm in a total state of shock over here now realizing I've been living my life at the wrong speed for the last year.

I laughed my ass off. Welcome to light speed, my friend. I've been reading that Drew bought a PS4, that's awesome. I wonder what his user is but I bet it'll pop up someday in the PS4 community thing. I still haven't heard the bombcast, saving it for tomorrow but it sounds like an absolute blast.

Megasoum

Banned
Guysssss

P65crGa.png

yami4ct

I eat like shit and hearing Dan talk about his eating habits makes me feel like shit. Drinking soda first thing in the morning sounds like the worst idea.

justjim89

I just rolled credits on FO4, and I don't understand what Jeff meant in saying it just ended. I loved the ending immensely. A big climactic mission with large combat encounters, some final dialogue bits, a big explosion, a little movie, then you're back at it. Great stuff. Maybe it depends on the faction you sided with?

Team Railroad
all day, every day

I miss the skill-based dialogue, I miss the ending tailored to your choices, and I miss it being an RPG. But Fallout was a really fun experience. Easily in my Top 5.

AcridMeat

Banned
I chose that ending too jim, and almost assuredly Jeff picked a different option. I loaded a save to see one of the other endings
choosing the institute
and I feel like that's the one Jeff got, that one definitely just ended.

Bacon

OK guys every year we talk about doing a "goty" awards for giantbomb videos but we never actually do it. I'd like to try and put something together this year but I admittedly have no threadmaking skills and I definitely haven't watched every single thing that GB has put out. If anyone would like to assist shoot me a PM!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Man I just remembered about the "Pulling the plug" blog post

This is so gut wrenching. Also those guys are from Montréal and I didn't even knew or heard about them before that post.

Something ended up happening, the game is back on the Steam store and they have had a few updates.

edit: Here's the announcement from the store page, the part about selling an e-book on Amazon to get Steam codes out there is kind of hilarious. I wonder if the Paranautical Activity devs thought of that before selling the game.

To all the fans that bought keys directly from myself, or bought the Bot Colony eBook on Amazon to get Steam keys, a big Thank You!

We have assured Valve of our commitment to keep Bot Colony going (we did keep the servers going after all :), and the BUY button is back as of today. Your beloved Jimmy - and his cousin Kate - are now busy moonlighting - take a look at www.northsideinc.com - it's kind of neat that the technology powering Bot Colony found its way into other applications, I'm hoping we'll do better with that than we did with Bot Colony. Personally, I still hope to see this game finished, all 12 episodes of it!

We've made a big upgrade in January, the Robot Visual Memories. We plan to make additional upgrades to conversation with robots in the future, but I cannot commit to specific dates. Early Access terms apply - there are no promises of evolution.
We'd be very happy to work with developers interested to take on continued development of Bot Colony on a revenue sharing basis - this makes more sense now as the game seems to have more traction after it 'died' than it had before. If you know any sharp developers, pass the word around.
We have the assets ready for the next 3 - 4 episodes, as you can see from the 30 min video that tells the Bot Colony story using game assets (look for The Story Untold video on the Store page). If our new venture works out, I hope we'll find the money to finance continued development of Bot Colony - that's our heritage and that's how we got into Natural Language Understanding - and it would feel great to finish what we started.

Thank you again!

I thought I had Shadow Complex on Steam but it turns out I just confused it with Alpha Protocol. I don't know anything about either game, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom