• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

William

I'm just gonna tell my kids how everything they like is shit and how everything was better in the past. You know, like you are supposed to.

I would like to emulate my Dad, he had all his vinyl collection in the living room and when I was old enough to take an interest in music I was like, oh, here is free music. Its the Beatles, this stuff is pretty good...

But If I have kids, to do the same sort of thing once they have any sort of game interest I would be like, of yeah, here is this old Amiga 1200 I have left out on the entertainment centre and all these floppy disks.

Gestahl

I'm sure Bethesda is aware that a vocal minority prefer New Vegas over 3. They are also aware New Vegas sold less and reviewed lower than either of its Fallout. I'm not sure they would capitalize on New Vegas' niche popularity even if they wanted to.

The PC version of Fallout 4 has the same score as New Vegas on Metacritic, fuck Bethesda and their bonus

Zocano

Man, I really like rewatching Brad's Demon's Souls playthrough.

It's fun to see someone play Demon's Souls for the first time
especially cause it's the best Souls game.

Has austin played/talked about bloodborne at all i cant remember. Id love to see him argue for it during goty from a storytelling perspective if he enjoyed that aspect

killroy87

It's fun to see someone play Demon's Souls for the first time
especially cause it's the best Souls game.

It suuuure is. Still the only one to evoke that sense of wonder and exploration for me. Dark Souls came close, DS2 did nothing for me, and I have almost zero interest in DS3.

Lijik

I would like to emulate my Dad, he had all his vinyl collection in the living room and when I was old enough to take an interest in music I was like, oh, here is free music. Its the Beatles, this stuff is pretty good...

my dad did the same thing. he had a bookshelf with his book collection in a hallway, and his record collection in the living room and when i developed an interest in music or needed a book for school i could just go explore them on my own because i knew they were there. he also kept all his old comics in the attic, and only brought them down when i got way into comics as a kid. didnt even hype anything there up, he just said "hey you can go through these if you want". it was like getting a gold mine for free

the "keep it around and let the kids go through it when theyre interested" is like the easiest, most low impact way to handle it and idk why people constantly jump to trying to force it.

Has austin played/talked about bloodborne at all i cant remember. Id love to see him argue for it during goty from a storytelling perspective if he enjoyed that aspect

I'm gonna say that even Austin is unlikely to push for a game that requires reading a 90-page fan monograph to figure out the story.

Bowlie

Banned
It suuuure is. Still the only one to evoke that sense of wonder and exploration for me. Dark Souls came close, DS2 did nothing for me, and I have almost zero interest in DS3.

I already know Latria's layout but that bell ring still scares the shit out of me.

Zocano

The only thing that disappoints me is because Brad was a magic build he didn't get to listen to this for 2 hours.

Best music? Best music.

Ive been catching up on some Super Replays that the Game Informer folks have done over the years. Watched Tail of the Sun, OverBlood (pipo!), Galerians, and now Cyberia, a game that I would describe as a steaming pile of shit that somehow got printed on discs and sold to people seeking sadness in their lives.

Gotta say, it's kinda of a shame those folks over there aren't getting enough love. They tend to have great chemistry and are pretty humorous at times. My only qualm is that they tend to have maybe too many people on some videos and I have issues distinguishing the folks on the videos because of it.

I'm gonna say that even Austin is unlikely to push for a game that requires reading a 90-page fan monograph to figure out the story.

I remember nothing of the story from Dark Souls except booby lady after O&S and, well, i think that's it. I get the whole less-is-more approach but at some point there's like nothing there. At least the atmosphere was amazing to make up for it.

Demon's Souls actually had a rather simple story to it that I really enjoyed in comparison.

Zocano

I don't think I've heard him speak on Bloodborne at all though he wasn't part of the crew when the game came out.

That shit gets thrown around all the time but aside from requiring a bit of work on the player's part, I thought the story wasn't *too* hard to piece together. Though I've been trained to pay attention to how the story bits fit together from the other games.

I think it's a really interesting way to approach world building and commendable. So much of their games are internally consistent in so many ways.

I remember nothing of the story from Dark Souls except booby lady after O&S and, well, i think that's it. I get the whole less-is-more approach but at some point there's like nothing there. At least the atmosphere was amazing to make up for it.

Demon's Souls actually had a rather simple story to it that I really enjoyed in comparison.

I think what a lot of Souls fans seem to misconstrue or fail to understand is that Souls games are really amazing at world building and telling their stories through tiny details and environments. But that's kind of as far as things go and that isn't enough for most people to hook themselves to. A lot of people want interesting characters to watch as they grow and struggle through their conflicts and Souls games do all 0 of that.

I think what a lot of Souls fans seem to misconstrue or fail to understand is that Souls games are really amazing at world building and telling their stories through tiny details and environments. But that's kind of as far as things go and that isn't enough for most people to hook themselves to. A lot of people want interesting characters to watch as they grow and struggle through their conflicts and Souls games do all 0 of that.

I think it's nice that the world is really well realized if you want to dig into that sort of storytelling. I'm not saying that I need a cutscene every 10 minutes to keep me engaged with a game's story, just that when you tuck it away in item descriptions and stuff like that I have less interest in it.

I'm struggling with it now with the Witcher 3. Geralt is walking around with a small town library's worth of books with a lot of world building tied to them and I'd just rather kill some drowners and tell those rebel elves to buzz off.

William

my dad did the same thing. he had a bookshelf with his book collection in a hallway, and his record collection in the living room and when i developed an interest in music or needed a book for school i could just go explore them on my own because i knew they were there. he also kept all his old comics in the attic, and only brought them down when i got way into comics as a kid. didnt even hype anything there up, he just said "hey you can go through these if you want". it was like getting a gold mine for free

the "keep it around and let the kids go through it when theyre interested" is like the easiest, most low impact way to handle it and idk why people constantly jump to trying to force it.

It will be harder with digital purchases going forwards, I think, having parents who liked reading meant I got into books at a young age. I read The Lord of the Rings and Tintin thanks to my parents having that stuff around. My mum had the whole Dune series, I was into great sci fi and fantasy thanks to that.

Also read a lot of weird monk based historical murder mysteries and stuff cause thats what was on the bookshelf, but not everyone is perfect.

Zocano

I'm struggling with it now with the Witcher 3. Geralt is walking around with a small town library's worth of books with a lot of world building tied to them and I'd just rather kill some drowners and tell those rebel elves to buzz off.

Well at least with Witcher there is that obvious up-front story. The Souls games are all almost entirely relegated to that puzzle-finding aspect. You'll get maybe 10% of the story if you don't use item descriptions as a base of knowledge.

justjim89

I'm not sure I like Dying Light. About 4 hours in, and the game just kinda feels like a chore. Between how fast weapons break, how easily you die, and the fact that every single mission is a fetch quest, I'm not feeling it. The parkour is fun, sure. But anytime you have to fight anything, the game just gets rotten.

The last mission I got, I literally got told to climb a radio tower. FUCK. THAT.

I'm not sure I like Dying Light. About 4 hours in, and the game just kinda feels like a chore. Between how fast weapons break, how easily you die, and the fact that every single mission is a fetch quest, I'm not feeling it. The parkour is fun, sure. But anytime you have to fight anything, the game just gets rotten.

Give it some more time. Once you start leveling more, you get some really cool shit, and Old Town is far more fun than the area you start in.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Danny and the Lobby team did a cool little look round the set at the end of their last Lobby on the current/old set - I liked it! Youtube link - I like Danny on The lobby, but if you dont want to watch the whole show the fun final bit is at the end starts at about 50 minutes
They seem to replace their crew every few months, since every time I watch that show they have atleast one face on that I've never even seen before.

Tour starts about here: https://youtu.be/efpQDYP-DUU?t=50m14s

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

The last mission I got, I literally got told to climb a radio tower. FUCK. THAT.

I felt the same way. Refunded it after 3 hours. Not fun.

Arrow pointing down was fucking great

i never enjoyed the drink tasting stuff. Not then, not ever.

Hell, you can argue that the trash they are sent in mailbags is rooted all the way back to those days where they drank the garbage water mailed to them on the first 15 minutes of every podcast

Danny and the Lobby team did a cool little look round the set at the end of their last Lobby on the current/old set - I liked it! Youtube link - I like Danny on The lobby, but if you dont want to watch the whole show the fun final bit is at the end starts at about 50 minutes

Oh cool, that was fun to watch. The Lobby looks to have a lot involved with their production.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is that expensive greenscreen with the squares on it the one GB used a few times? I guess that's where that ended up.

I guess I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the "not feeling Dying Light" crowd but I don't hate it.

doubt I'll finish it.

On top of the (very well done) parkour, I think you have to be one of those guys who's into just murdering fools.

It's a top ten game for me, but so is Killing Floor 2.

Spaghetti

the shenmue stuff got a good chuckle out of me, even though i guess people would expect i'm in the demographic that would get mad at it. honestly the community can go off the deep end sometimes, but alex was kind of right in saying 14 years of getting shit on can turn a community sour and brittle as all fuck.

i still think some of the GB/GBEAST crew should try shenmue II though, that game fixes the number one problem a lot of people have with the majority of the first disk of shenmue, not enough direction.

the original has this great opening that sets the main character out on revenge and then it's just like "uhhhhh what the fuck am i doing" because the game doesn't really give you direction very well, though i suppose that was the point of FREE, and it obviously appealed to some people.

in the first maybe 45 minutes of the second game, you get off the boat in hong kong, arm wrestle a dude, almost get hit by a motorcycle, get your bag and all your money stolen, find and chase the asshole kid who stole your bag, then fist fight the adult gang members the kid works for. it points you in the right direction more efficiently and at a faster pace.

it's nice that jeff kinda respects it for being a crazy, new thing though. i wouldn't list it with the pantheon of open world titles of 2015 however, i've always felt it fit in more with the alternate style of games we see a lot of today.

It definitely took a couple of hours for Dying Light to grab me, once I started getting deeper into the skill tree I started to have way more fun with it. Being chased across the map during the night is so much fun, especially once you've got a bunch of those extra abilities unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom