• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomberOwl

The turnaround at Gamespot does seem oddly high for such a competitive industry.

Yeah I sort of miss the old GameSpot we had about a year or so ago before they let all those writers/reviewers go. Now with Kevin V gone there really is no one I read reviews from over there anymore. Maybe Peter Brown but that's about it. Everyone else seems to be really new or freelance.

Even if I didn't always agree with their older reviewers, they were some of the more established and best in the industry. Especially Kevin V. He was probably one of the best reviewers around.

Now GameSpot has random people I've never seen before all the time reviewing games and appearing on the Lobby Etc. They need to lock down a core group of people again. I don't feel like it's a great place for opinions anymore.

yami4ct

I love how people remembered the MOBA but not the his game. Is the MOBA actually still going?

I think it has more to do with the whole 'everything's a MOBA!' period it was a part of than the specific game. It was just the strangest example of the era that also gave us the DC MOBA and KOF (or was it Tekkan?) MOBA. That period was weird.

Now everyone is making hero shooters, even though no one really was asking for them.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Those guys made Vermintide. I kind of support them despite never really having played any of their stuff purely because of their connections to GRIN.

Krater was kind of alright. I hear it was a complete mess before a few patches but I came along later. Not a terrible action RPG where you control a small squad in a semi goofy post apocalyptic Sweden.

That reminds me, I never used my Dead Island: Riptide beta Steam gift, or played the game at all.

Oh well. Another MOBA bites the dust.

Fatshark is a weird studio. Their first(?) game, Lead'n'Gold, was a mediocre TF2 ripoff (before such things were cool) and it was a surprisingly fun game during those couple free weekends it had. Really surprised me.

Nero18

The problem with that is that since MOBAs are online games, a lot of the weirder ones just go away. You can't play the Masters of Teras Kasi of MOBAs since many of the funnier ones are just gone.

Not that i was seriously suggesting it but i would guess that the internet can find ways.

Lijik

i still think some of the GB/GBEAST crew should try shenmue II though, that game fixes the number one problem a lot of people have with the majority of the first disk of shenmue, not enough direction.

the original has this great opening that sets the main character out on revenge and then it's just like "uhhhhh what the fuck am i doing" because the game doesn't really give you direction very well, though i suppose that was the point of FREE, and it obviously appealed to some people.

the lack of direction is not the issue with disc 1, the issue with disc 1 is it has a single direction and thats to let every single citzen of ryos town give him the runaround for an hour and a half. "Oh i dont know, have you tried talking to X?" gets old after like the third person. Its a dull inelegant way to set the stage and introduce the cast, especially when you can barely do anything with a chunk of them after the fact.

jgminto

The recent Bombasticas have been great, watching Brad play Dark Forces made me want to go and check out the SW games I have on steam that I haven't played yet. Still need to play Austin's fave, KOTOR 2 as well.

The recent Bombasticas have been great, watching Brad play Dark Forces made me want to go and check out the SW games I have on steam that I haven't played yet. Still need to play Austin's fave, KOTOR 2 as well.

FYI all things Star Wars are on sale at GOG right now. It's far and away the easiest place to play them, since compatibility issues are smoothed out via GOG's developers.

I had a heck of a time getting the old Dark Forces games running on Steam. NinjaEdit: On second thought, I recall problems with all of the Jedi Knight/Dark Forces stuff via Steam...

Edit2: Lmao and I just noticed that you say in your post that you own them. Whoops, ignore me... :l

Riptide was that Dead Island 1.5 thing that somehow was even more buggy than the original, right? I think I am remembering this correctly.

Correct! I never played any of the Dead Island games after getting 3/4 through the first and yet I somehow remember all of their names and the basic premise of them.

Same, I realised that I own decent number of Star Wars games that I've never really played.

jgminto

FYI all things Star Wars are on sale at GOG right now. It's far and away the easiest place to play them, since compatibility issues are smoothed out via GOG's developers.

I had a heck of a time getting the old Dark Forces games running on Steam. NinjaEdit: On second thought, I recall problems with all of the Jedi Knight/Dark Forces stuff via Steam...

Edit2: Lmao and I just noticed that you say in your post that you own them. Whoops, ignore me... :l

I do still need to get the X-Wing/Tie Fighter games.

Wunder

I guess I'll go ahead and throw my hat in the "not feeling Dying Light" crowd but I don't hate it.

doubt I'll finish it.

are you playing co-op? That's the main draw for me with that game and was for Dead Island as well. The parkour is really well done and has great progression throughout the game that it just feels more and more rewarding the more time you put into it. Aside from that though it is almost just Dead Island 1.5 in that the quests/combat feel very similar. So having 3 other friends to fuck around in the world with really helps kill the monotony, especially with all their 'emergent' contests that pop up that give small boosts to skill XP.

Bowlie

Banned
I don't know; it did spend some time introducing me to its mechanics, but since I obtained roles for the characters and started gaining exp it stopped doing that. Maybe it will hold my hand again in the future? I'm at Chapter 4.

The only thing that I can't but notice is that no one talks to each other like actual human beings, their conversations are very obtuse. But I don't know, I had such low expectations for this game that I'm not too bothered about that.

edit: I'm not a FF fan, so I also didn't wish it to be more like the older ones, or more JRPG-like

I don't know; it did spend some time introducing me to its mechanics, but since I obtained roles for the characters and started gaining exp it stopped doing that. Maybe it will hold my hand again in the future? I'm at Chapter 4.

The only thing that I can't but notice is that no one talks to each other like actual human beings, their conversations are very obtuse. But I don't know, I had such low expectations for this game that I'm not too bothered about that.

That's just anime.

Zaph

Nn8KmCk.png

Looks so cordial. It's like a UN meeting compared to GB's streetfight

The Dark Forces Bombastica was good shit. Brad was absolutely right about that room with the floating Death Star schematic, I remember standing in the middle of it and feeling awestruck.

You try and tell me what the hell is happening in a sentence or two and you'll have your answer.

Well you see, the crystals are the life force...and people become crystals....so the sister of one of those crystals sets out to uncrystallize her, meeting a zany cast of characters and summoning powers beyond their understanding and uh...find a lady who knows how to uncrystallize...and....evil happens....there's some sort of Orphan that's evil...and the sister is freed, but then the main character like...disappears or something.

That is what I have scraped over years of hearing people trying to explain what happens in FFXIII.

Cool to see Dark Forces again. I got it a while ago on PSN. I think it'd be cool if it got a remake. Imagine it with today's graphics and cinematics.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
hey, even a blind hen finds an egg sometimes

who knows, maybe they'll accidentaly make a right decision like when they gave albw goty that one time
Wait... did this happen? I genuinely forget

I'm curious, does anyone know exactly how many Bombcasts they've done up to this point? Since they name each episode as the day they are released and don't have an episode number to them, it seems impossible to know how many episodes they are actually up to. I'd imagine, going by other podcasts that have been around just as long (and the fact they don't miss a Tuesday.... ever), that they must be at or past 400 episodes. It's a shame they don't recognize those milestones (even though they might not mean much to them), but regardless, it is still a remarkable feat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom