• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

As fun as the GB arguments are - if I were an employee I would prefer the Gamespot - and most outlets - approach. A good hour of debate and if a consensus cannot be made, put it to a vote and lets all go home. In the bigger picture, who really gives a fuck which game comes first in an arbitrary list.

hamchan

As fun as the GB arguments are - if I were an employee I would prefer the Gamespot - and most outlets - approach. A good hour of debate and if a consensus cannot be made, put it to a vote and lets all go home. In the bigger picture, who really gives a fuck which game comes first in an arbitrary list.

That's because you're a beta like Alex and not an alpha like Jeff and Brad.

Chuck

Still without luck
Vinny really did have the landing on Mün, I don't know why he rocketed away when he was just a few meters from a nice landing.

I've been playing FFXIII and... I'm enjoying it, quite a lot. Why this game has such a bad rep?

It's far more linear than previous games and the writing is terrible but the combat is pretty fun and the music is good. It's not great but I don't think it's as bad as people say.

yami4ct

I've been playing FFXIII and... I'm enjoying it, quite a lot. Why this game has such a bad rep?

Bad writing. The game doesn't open up until you get
off of Cocoon
and all the areas feel much more limited (though I can't say it's actually more linear than FFX). Combat is top tier Final Fantasy, and I think it saves the game. Game has some beautiful environment design as well.

soft tacos are harder to eat than hard tacos. no structure, floppin all over the place after a couple of bites

actual soft tacos are 10x better than a taco bell hard taco though. I love shitty hard tacos as much as the next guy, but a real soft taco is life changing.

yami4ct

Man, Shadow of Mordor could not look more out of place next to the other games in that list.

As has been said, 2014 was real rough. My favorite game was Dragon Age Inquisition, and while I still dig that game a ton, it would a hard time even cracking my Top 10 this year.

I think back to playing shadow of mordor and I wonder how I found my way through it. It seems like the type of game I'd have no chance of getting myself to finish these days.I definitely enjoyed my time with it and the nemesis system was awesome, but the gameplay was pretty button mashy and the story had no importance to me.

I guess i had other stuff going on in my life besides video games and work.

In the year 2000 they chose Chrono Cross as their console game of the year. Was 2000 really that bad?

I think at the time they were choosing games purely based on what got the highest score that year. Chrono Cross (regretfully, as Jeff tells it) got a 10, so there you go.

My 2014 GOTY would either be Shadow of Mordor or Persona Q. And I didn't even finish Persona Q!

AcridMeat

Banned
soft tacos are harder to eat than hard tacos. no structure, floppin all over the place after a couple of bites

actual soft tacos are 10x better than a taco bell hard taco though. I love shitty hard tacos as much as the next guy, but a real soft taco is life changing.
A soft taco should be finished after a couple bites man. How big are these soft tacos you're getting?

This is making me really hungry for tacos, but the local place has their $1 taco night Mondays. :(

yami4ct

My 2014 GOTY would either be Shadow of Mordor or Persona Q. And I didn't even finish Persona Q!

Persona Q would've been much higher on my Top 10 if Etrian Odyssey IV didn't exist. I love persona, but the stuff they added from Persona took away from EO more than it added. A hard followup after playing EOIV, one of my Top 10 games of all time.

I still really dig it, though.

Zornack

Yeah, wait, how did Chrono Cross win GotY in 2000? Didn't Jeff say that no one on staff had played it?

Plus, THPS2 came out in 2000. There's got to be a story behind this.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
solid and boring, yeah

anyway, goty is dumb and where would we be without gb embracing that dumbness
Eh, Journey and ALBW are good and pretty out there for such a publication. Any more and they would call it shit taste again.

And looking at that page...2014 was mostly between DA:I and SoM and I take SoM over that crap any day.

i dunno, i came up with at least fifty games that were more interesting than mordor in my indiegaf voting ballot

even outside of that, 2014 was real good
Is there another Broken Age I'm not aware of?
Sorry

A soft taco should be finished after a couple bites man. How big are these soft tacos you're getting?

This is making me really hungry for tacos, but the local place has their $1 taco night Mondays. :(

958bd04a838fcfb1fda6e1fe4f7782bd.jpg

caramelos tacos from el pelon in boston

so good

yami4ct

Last year was all about the WiiU for me, Bayonetta 2 was my GOTY. This year is very diverse so it's going to be more fun when we see the GOTY lists.

Oh shit, Bayonetta 2 was last year. I came to it too late to play it for my GOTY list, but in retrospect it would probably have been my top.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Chrono Cross was great, even if it was like the third or fourth best JRPG released that year. Haters everywhere. Also 2000 in general was great. Holy shit, Baldur's Gate 2, Deus Ex, Diablo 2, Thief 2, Mechwarrior 4 all on PC alone. I loved the Sims and it looks insane that The Sims was the PC game of the year.

popo

That's because you're a beta like Alex and not an alpha like Jeff and Brad.

If Jeff were an alpha he would end the deadlocks by pointing put that he is in charge and has the casting vote. Skyrim would never have been allowed to win. Brad with his "keep talking to wear them out" is about as un alpha as it gets.

Jason and Vinny are arguably the biggest alpha dogs in that group and neither of them seem all that bothered. They know what is and what is not important.

tuxfool

Banned
Chrono Cross was great, even if it was like the third or fourth best JRPG released that year. Haters everywhere. Also 2000 in general was great. Holy shit, Baldur's Gate 2, Deus Ex, Diablo 2, Thief 2, Mechwarrior 4 all on PC alone. I loved the Sims and it looks insane that The Sims was the PC game of the year.

Yeah, looking at that list, I can only smh. What were they thinking?

yami4ct

Chrono Cross was great. Haters everywhere. Also 2000 in general was great. Holy shit, Baldur's Gate 2, Deus Ex, Diablo 2, Thief 2, Mechwarrior 4 all on PC alone. I loved the Sims and it looks insane that The Sims was the PC game of the year.

2000 was great for PC, but pretty light on console. Some great JRPGs, but not much else.

Given The Sims massive longterm impact, it actually makes sense for GOTY. The only game that I would think that would come close to that in a long term view would be Diablo 2, but I still think The Sims still probably wins out. In terms of quality, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Zornack

What's the point of having an opinion if won't put up a fight for it?

daydream

Banned
You liked Jazzpunk more than Shovel Knight?

I'm not saying SK is amazing (if anything, it's a pale imitation of games greater than itself), but Jazzpunk was like a fun little diversion more than anything.

yeah, i think jazzpunk was pretty big achievement. i wrote about it in the same thread, iirc

i also didn't wanna put kentucky route zero at no. 1 again even though episode 3 came out that year

Eh, Journey and ALBW are good and pretty out there for such a publication. Any more and they would call it shit taste again.

And looking at that page...2014 was mostly between DA:I and SoM and I take SoM over that crap any day.

Is there another Broken Age I'm not aware of?
Sorry

yeah, journey and albw are the two exceptions. out of like 15+ "awards"

only played the first episode of broken age but enjoyed that a lot. really not sure what people's problems with that game were

Bowlie

Banned
I liked the battle system, music, character designs and world. Story is not good though but it is anime so that is expected.

Bad writing. The game doesn't open up until you get
off of Cocoon
and all the areas feel much more limited (though I can't say it's actually more linear than FFX). Combat is top tier Final Fantasy, and I think it saves the game. Game has some beautiful environment design as well.

Yeah, I think somehow I'll end up at Gran Pulse, and as the game makes me think it's larger than Cocoon, it would be more open to exploration.

But aspects of that game like the soundtrack and the combat as you said, the lore and the landscape are drawing my attention way more than the nonsensical story.

(people say its sequels are worse and way worse, right? I don't think I'm gonna buy those, only if they're on sale)

yami4ct

yeah, i think jazzpunk was pretty big achievement. i wrote about it in the same thread, iirc

i also didn't wanna put kentucky route zero at no. 1 again even though episode 3 came out that year

only played the first episode of broken age but enjoyed that a lot. really not sure what people's problems with that game were

Saving my KRZ vote until that game is actually done. Seems like the forest way to recognize it.

As for Broken Age, that games problems all come from Episode 2. The puzzles are pretty universally bad in the second part, the game has many reused environments and the story doesn't pay off the intrigue of Episode 1 in very interesting ways.

Yeah, I think somehow I'll end up at Gran Pulse, and as the game makes me think it's larger than Cocoon, it would be more open to exploration.

But aspects of that game like the soundtrack and the combat as you said, the lore and the landscape are drawing my attention way more than the nonsensical story.

(people say its sequels are worse and way worse, right? I don't think I'm gonna buy those, only if they're on sale)

I think XIII-2 is a much better game, as long as the 2-party members with 2 monster thing doesn't bother you, but the story is a goddamn monstrosity. Lightning Returns is an interesting mess, but still terrible.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
2000 was great for PC, but pretty light on console. Some great JRPGs, but not much else.

Given The Sims massive longterm impact, it actually makes sense for GOTY. The only game that I would think that would come close to that in a long term view would be Diablo 2, but I still think The Sims still probably wins out. In terms of quality, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Just from a quick glance at that wiki page, Code Veronica, Jet Set Radio, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Space Channel 5, Tony Hawk 2, Final Fantasy 9, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue (edit: That's 9...add Incredible Crisis for fun or Grandia 2 or something since everybody has issues with Chrono Cross) make a god damned fine top 10 list in my eyes. PS2's awful launch lineup was the only down thing about the year.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

BA is just a super mediocre adventure game, I wouldn't even recommend you to finish it. No problem apart from that.

Also, Act 4 of KRZ is apparently almost done

yami4ct

Just from a quick glance at that wiki page, Code Veronica, Jet Set Radio, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, Space Channel 5, Tony Hawk 2, Final Fantasy 9, Skies of Arcadia, and Shenmue make a god damned fine top 10 list in my eyes. PS2's awful launch lineup was the only down thing about the year.

Not a fan of PD, SC5, or Code Veronica. I did overlook Skies of Arcadia and TH2, though.

I thought we all finally realized Shenmue and Majora's Mask aren't very good games by now?

Look within yourself. You know it to be true.

Megasoum

Banned
So I played a couple hours of Fallout 4 when it came out and then I switched over to Tomb Raider... Playing through that right now.

The more I go the more I think I actually want to go back to Syndicate.... Sorry Jeff... Assassin's Creed: Syndicate once I'm done with ROTR. Or maybe start Tails of the Borderlands.

Even if I know that it's not really mendatory, the whole building/base management crap in Fallout completely turned me off.

daydream

Banned
paper mario wins 2000 outright

but yeah, the first sims is my favourite, but there were better games that year

BA is just a super mediocre adventure game, I wouldn't even recommend you to finish it. No problem apart from that.

Also, Act 4 of KRZ is apparently almost done

beautiful art, charming writing and super creative setting(s). really liked the split perspective, too. what did you find mediocre about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom