• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
FF XIII has the best battle system in the franchise, with fantastic music and graphics/art. Story is serviceable, but made worse with some mediocre characters and hiding a lot of the universe's terms in it's database, making it a confusing mess.

Regardless, XIII and XIII-2 are my favorite FF games, not counting XIV. Still haven't played LR.

yami4ct

FF XIII has the best battle system in the franchise, with fantastic music and graphics/art. Story is serviceable, but made worse with some mediocre characters and hiding a lot of the universe's terms in it's database, making it a confusing mess.

Regardless, XIII and XIII-2 are my favorite FF games, not counting XIV. Still haven't played LR.

Speaking of the characters, can we all just agree Fang is awesome? Because looking back on FFXIII, that's my one takeaway besides the battle system. Fang is just the best. Sazh is kinda cool as well. The rest of the cast is boring, but I don't think they're the worst FF has offered.

JamboGT

Gran Turismo 2 was my game of 2000 unsurprisingly perhaps, it was a 99 game in other territories though.

I didn't play much else in 2000 though, was a quiet gaming year for me, A-Levels and starting Uni kept me busy!

Bowlie

Banned

Best in the series.

Really? Man, now I don't know what to expect.

ff3 sucks

I remember liking that light/darkness duality. Too much light/good is bad for the world, what?! It was interesting at that time.

Speaking of the characters, can we all just agree Fang is awesome? Because looking back on FFXIII, that's my one takeaway besides the battle system. Fang is just the best. Sazh is kinda cool as well. The rest of the cast is boring, but I don't think they're the worst FF has offered.

Fang and Sazh are my two favorite and I didn't mind Lightning in XIII. Snow, Vanille, and Hope sucked. Though real talk, Hope got a lot better in XIII-2.

Best in the series.

Gonna get the PC version of it and try it again when its out and cheap. I don't know how much I care for the timer honestly and might enjoy it more modded out if I play it and hate it. What I did play of the combat though, I really loved.

AcridMeat

Banned
958bd04a838fcfb1fda6e1fe4f7782bd.jpg

caramelos tacos from el pelon in boston

so good
Yo those behemoths have two tortillas each, that's on them. Looks good though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
beautiful art, charming writing and super creative setting(s). really liked the split perspective, too. what did you find mediocre about it
Gotta preface with saying that I was a backer and expected a more traditional Schafer adventure game and that the 2nd act is a big part of the letdown.
The main problem are the puzzles, they are extremely easy in I and then just bad in II with few exceptions. It feels like they made them for an audience of easy-puzzle-loving adventure game fans that doesn't exist.

I wouldn't agree about the writing, either. They set up good quirky characters well, those say their limited amount of (good, sometimes great) lines and then they stay those one trick pony appearances for the rest of the game. There are so many of them, too. Probably too many.

The good things about the game, like the setting and the KS itself, are representative of the whole ordeal. It was all set to be amazing, but meh.
The best thing about it was the documentary.

Zekes!

Watching the Dark Forces Encyclopedia Bombastica made me realize how crazy the naming of that specific Star Wars series is. Dark Forces > Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight > Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast etc

I've only played Jedi Outcast but I remember thinking that game was dope as hell as a kid

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Watching the Dark Forces Encyclopedia Bombastica made me realize how crazy the naming of that specific Star Wars series is. Dark Forces > Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight > Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast etc

I've only played Jedi Outcast but I remember thinking that game was dope as hell as a kid

Don't forget Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy

Jedi Academy was actually the first game in that series I played. It was weird working my way back, and I only saw Dark Forces for the first time when they played it on the LucasArts TNT

danm999

Even if I know that it's not really mendatory, the whole building/base management crap in Fallout completely turned me off.

It's a small thing but....

I stopped engaging with that stuff when I started to build walls around Sanctuary, and I found I couldn't get them to align properly with the ground leaving weird floating walls all over my base.

justjim89

Austin is gonna stealth his way into getting Invisible, Inc. into the Top 10 and afterwards no one will know how it happened.

Man, that game is neat.

daydream

Banned
Gotta preface with saying that I was a backer and expected a more traditional Schafer adventure game and that the 2nd act is a big part of the letdown.
The main problem are the puzzles, they are extremely easy in I and then just bad in II with few exceptions. It feels like they made them for an audience of easy-puzzle-loving adventure game fans that doesn't exist.

I wouldn't agree about the writing, either. They set up good quirky characters well, those say their limited amount of (good, sometimes great) lines and then they stay those one trick pony appearances for the rest of the game. There are so many of them, too. Probably too many.

The good things about the game, like the setting and the KS itself, are representative of the whole ordeal. It was all set to be amazing, but meh.
The best thing about it was the documentary.

hm, well that seems like a pretty specific perspective on it, basically wanting it to be something else. i didn't mind the puzzles being easy in part 1, i thought they were just fine. the writing isn't earth-shattering or anything, i forgot to mention that i really liked the voice work and that it added a lot, in my opinion. obviously can't disagree too vehemently since i haven't played part 2 but i'd defend part 1 any day of the week

danm999

Fang and Sazh are the only good characters yeah. The rest alternate between incredibly flat (Lightning) and grating (Snow, Hope).

I'm like 5 hours into JC3 and I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer, I'm definitely enjoying messing with the tools that it offers but that's already starting to lose it's appeal. It doesn't help that the performance issues are making it a pain to even play.

I'll be interested to hear the whole crews thoughts when they've played it, especially considering how positive they were on it before release.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Austin is gonna stealth his way into getting Invisible, Inc. into the Top 10 and afterwards no one will know how it happened.

Man, that game is neat.
I can see that happening, but who will he team up with to get this done? Dirty Dan? Braggadocius Brad?

Dineren

Banned
I'm like 5 hours into JC3 and I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer, I'm definitely enjoying messing with the tools that it offers but that's already starting to lose it's appeal. It doesn't help that the performance issues are making it a pain to even play.

I'll be interested to hear the whole crews thoughts when they've played it, especially considering how positive they were on it before release.

JC3 ended up being my first Steam refund. It ran great, but after an hour and a half I started getting pretty bored. It probably didn't help that I played JC2 again not too long ago so that was still fresh in my mind. It might not be fair to give up on it so quickly, but it felt so similar to the last game that I just had no desire to go back.

Zekes!

Don't forget Star Wars: Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy

Jedi Academy was actually the first game in that series I played. It was weird working my way back, and I only saw Dark Forces for the first time when they played it on the LucasArts TNT

I always had this weird reverence for the PC Star Wars games. They looked so cool but I never had a PC that could play them well. Actually, I could say that about a lot of PC games.

I had a demo disc of Republic Commando and I thought it looked so fucking cool when I was 15, but I couldn't even get it to run properly so I never got the chance to even try it.

Is 2015 the year of repetitive gameplay loops for 50 hours or is that just every year and I'm getting more pessimistic

edit: dark forces looks...actually pretty fun. Kind of makes me want to get back to republic commando which I started playing after getting that star wars humble bundle.

Dark Forces doesn't let you exploit the game nearly as much. I hold that against it. Can't do the force speed to force jump combo onto a storm trooper's head to break for your fall and skip several sequences.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The reaction Brad's talking about having to Dark Forces 1 is the reaction I had to Jedi Outcast. I definitely played Dark Forces at a friends house but I remember playign Jedi Outcast at a BestBuy demo unit nad beinligk 'HOLY SHIT IF YOU HOLD THE LIGHTSABER UP TO A WALL IT MAKES A MARK ON THE WALL LIKE AS IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY HOLDING A LIGHTSABER'

I miss that era of games blowing me away with the simplest advances. I think the last one I got that from was Assassin's Creed 1 when Altair would step off the ledge to keep his feet balanced.

Megasoum

Banned
As much as I love Rise of the Tomb Raider... I think I'm actually having more fun finding weird bugs, using the "Xbox Record That" feature and then posting the video on facebook with the QA Lead on the project tagged on it lol....

Megasoum

Banned
Holy shit hahahaha... 30 sec after I posted a video about a weird physics bug the game actually crashed my XBox One hahaha

I'm having way too much fun right now.

jaina

I thought we aren't supposed to blame QA, unfixed bugs are because of budget/time restrictions :p
But nevermind, keep gaming!

Lelcar

According to Jeff's mixlr, the move isn't going very smoothly, so I'm not sure what to expect from the video portion of GOTY this year. But the good news is that apparently the podcast deliberations are excellent, Jeff seems happy with the discussions.

justjim89

GOG is having a sale where $3 gets you a random game worth between 10 and 35 bucks and I'm having a hard time not rolling the dice on it. A mystery sale is something of a neat idea.

Megasoum

Banned
I thought we aren't supposed to blame QA, unfixed bugs are because of budget/time restrictions :p
But nevermind, keep gaming!

Oh yeah... I'm not blaming them lol... I've been working in QA for long enough now that there's no hard feeling lol. They are MORE than happy to do the same about my games too.

danm999

According to Jeff's mixlr, the move isn't going very smoothly, so I'm not sure what to expect from the video portion of GOTY this year. But the good news is that apparently the podcast deliberations are excellent, Jeff seems happy with the discussions.

Yeah sounds like we may not get the sort of videos we've seen in years past.

Or maybe it's just Jeff and Alex being pessimistic but its sounds like they're being dicked around by the move big time.

Yeah, I've got to imagine this is going to impact goty badly. they kinda need a studio for the couch stuff after the skits in the recaps

Now that Drew has a PS4, I wonder if he'll download War Thunder, especially since it's free to play. Also, it will be PSVR compatible, so that's a cool plus!

Lelcar

Any dickish details?

The higher-ups haven't been clear with them regarding how to even go about the move and now they've issued a deadline stating that anything left on the floor will be destroyed. Yet no one has come to talk with them to give instructions about the new location setup or anything. That's some of what's happening anyway, or at least, what I've extrapolated from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom