• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doop

Now that Drew has a PS4, I wonder if he'll download War Thunder, especially since it's free to play. Also, it will be PSVR compatible, so that's a cool plus!

I think Drew has already played War Thunder, if I'm remembering correctly, they might have done an unfinished for it years ago.

def sim

I think Drew has already played War Thunder, if I'm remembering correctly, they might have done an unfinished for it years ago.

Yeah, I remember Vinny and Drew doing something with it. War Thunder has been available on PC for a while after all.

As much as I love the GOTY videos it sounds like the production crew destroys themselves every year to get it done so I could definitely understand if they need to scale it way back this year. The podcasts are the stuff that matters anyway.

jaina

They have their GoPros / other cameras and aren't busy with moving their stuff because of the limbo described above. Not worried that they won't have a couple of videos for us. Probably not a theme which needs a lot of editing though.

The latest Ryckert-Cast is amazing with everyone praising then ganging up on Dan.

"Your Giant Bomb Career has been on that couch or on a rollercoaster"

Too bad Bianca shouldn't appear on camera due to knuckledragging horndogs though. Her forcing a Musou on a UPF would be hilarious.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Listening to this week's podcast, that part where everybody piles on Brad like he's a substitute teacher and starts talking over each other reminded me a lot of the new Animal Collective song.

The latest Ryckert-Cast is amazing with everyone praising then ganging up on Dan.

"Your Giant Bomb Career has been on that couch or on a rollercoaster"

Too bad Bianca shouldn't appear on camera due to knuckledragging horndogs though. Her forcing a Musou on a UPF would be hilarious.

That's Kayla actually, who likes the Musou games. Kayla being Dans sister >_>

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I started watching Whiskey Media Happy hour videos, since I ignored them until now.
Everyone looks so young in them, wow.

Also DON'T SHAKE THE BABY.

danm999

Wow the Bombcast makes me think Fallout 4 may struggle to make top ten as well. Vinny, Alex and Brad were super indifferent and we know how Jeff feels.

Only Austin spoke well of it.

Hah! They were both talking and got them mixed up during that. It's officially the 8-4 episode of the Ryckertcast! :p

It was the opposite for me, Kayla had a stronger accent than Bianca. That and I remember Dan saying that one of his sisters was insanely into Musou games more than anyone he knew.

justjim89

Wow the Bombcast makes me think Fallout 4 may struggle to make top ten as well. Vinny, Alex and Brad were super indifferent and we know how Jeff feels.

Only Austin spoke well of it.

More room for Invisible Inc, SOMA, or
The Witcher 3.

Did Austin like Pillars or play it at all? He seems like the only chance of that game even getting mentioned.

Jothel

The higher-ups haven't been clear with them regarding how to even go about the move and now they've issued a deadline stating that anything left on the floor will be destroyed. Yet no one has come to talk with them to give instructions about the new location setup or anything. That's some of what's happening anyway, or at least, what I've extrapolated from it.
Sucks but not wholly surprising I guess sadly

Holy shit does that runtime of 3.5 hrs look intimidating! When will I get the time to listen to this epic podcast? TGA is tomorrow, PSX is on Sat, before you know it, it will be Tues of next and I will have missed out on this week's GB! HELP ME!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
GOG is having a sale where $3 gets you a random game worth between 10 and 35 bucks and I'm having a hard time not rolling the dice on it. A mystery sale is something of a neat idea.

Did you end up going for it? The fact that it's only games that aren't otherwise on sale is intriguing.

3dBe8I5.png

chrixter

I don't know why I'm only just now hearing that SOMA has an incredible story. I initially dismissed the game as another Frictional frightfest because The Dark Descent was way too fucking scary for me and I had to drop it after an hour. I can enjoy high tension and horror elements in short bursts, but if it's the central focus over the course of an entire game then it's probably too overwhelming for me. Supposedly SOMA is more atmospheric than truly scary which has me really interested in trying it though...

justjim89

I don't know why I'm only just now hearing that SOMA has an incredible story. I initially dismissed the game as another Frictional frightfest because The Dark Descent was way too fucking scary for me and I had to drop it after an hour. I can enjoy high tension and horror elements in short bursts, but if it's the central focus over the course of an entire game then it's probably too overwhelming for me. Supposedly SOMA is more atmospheric than truly scary which has me really interested in trying it though...

SOMA is nowhere near as scary or as adventure-gamey as Amnesia, to be sure. It's more about dread and atmosphere of tension throughout. All "scares" and enemy encounters are fairly well-telegraphed. I'd barely even call it a horror game, unless you count the horrific existential questions it leaves you with as horror. The story is really enjoyable, and the questions it raises are really compelling and well-worth exploring. That's why I want either Brad or Austin to finish it because I'd love to hear them talk at length about it. I can't recommend SOMA enough.

So, I was listening to today's episode of Podcast Beyond and they started talking about The Game Awards and PSX and how they already know some cool things. They nearly slipped up with something regarding The Game Awards, though. They mentioned that a new Mortal Kombat X character was being revealed there (I think this was already known), but nearly slipped up by coming close to saying who the character was. I forget what they said exactly, but I have a theory as to who it is. Remember months* ago Keifer Sutherland said he was in MKX? I bet the reveal is Big Boss is the newest MKX character. It's already confirmed Sutherland will be there.

*It was actually way back in very early 2014 when this was reported. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/22/24-star-kiefer-sutherland-involved-in-mortal-kombat-game

So, I was listening to today's episode of Podcast Beyond and they started talking about The Game Awards and PSX and how they already know some cool things. They nearly slipped up with something regarding The Game Awards, though. They mentioned that a new Mortal Kombat X character was being revealed there (I think this was already known), but nearly slipped up by coming close to saying who the character was. I forget what they said exactly, but I have a theory as to who it is. Remember months ago Keifer Sutherland said he was in MKX? I bet the reveal is Big Boss is the newest MKX character. It's already confirmed Sutherland will be there.

I really really doubt Konami is still up for cross collaborations like they used to be, but that'd be pretty cool.

Holy shit does that runtime of 3.5 hrs look intimidating! When will I get the time to listen to this epic podcast? TGA is tomorrow, PSX is on Sat, before you know it, it will be Tues of next and I will have missed out on this week's GB! HELP ME!

Listen to while
Showering
Bathroom
In Bed
?

Demption

SOMA is nowhere near as scary or as adventure-gamey as Amnesia, to be sure. It's more about dread and atmosphere of tension throughout. All "scares" and enemy encounters are fairly well-telegraphed. I'd barely even call it a horror game, unless you count the horrific existential questions it leaves you with as horror. The story is really enjoyable, and the questions it raises are really compelling and well-worth exploring. That's why I want either Brad or Austin to finish it because I'd love to hear them talk at length about it. I can't recommend SOMA enough.

It seems Vinny played through it on PC, which I am really happy considering GOTY podcasts. Brad has played it for 9 hours.

Anjin M

In looking at my spreadsheet of Giant Bomb reviews, I've noticed a few interesting items.

• The platform with the highest rated games is the Wii U (3.93), followed closely by the PC (3.87).
  • Across the last two generations, Brad has scored PlayStation games 4/10 of a star higher than Xbox games. (PS3 4.05 vs X360 3.65, PS4 4.13 vs XONE 3.71)
  • Both rated Rhythm Heaven games scored 5 stars.

Quentyn

The list of confirmed world premieres for the Game Awards look pretty underwhelming so far. Probably not gonna watch it live this year and just skip through the archive in the morning.

The list of confirmed world premieres for the Game Awards look pretty underwhelming so far. Probably not gonna watch it live this year and just skip through the archive in the morning.

I'll watch it for more Quantum Break and cause I like watching dumb stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom