• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Man that bunny changed. He used to make me feel like he was doing me a favour, now he sounds like he's straight hustling you.

2qwnqpq.png

PZ5bNMs.png

Looks like the Salesrabbit has evolved.

I need some REAL money, man!
Don't worry, there will be a step in the process where we'll take care of that.

danm999

He was always hustling. Even when you think you're getting a deal, the house always wins.

Oh I could never see the sucker so I knew it was me, but there seems an edge of desperation to him now.

Like he owes someone money to the wrong people or something. If we don't intervene he's gonna start stealing our cutlery and pulling copper out of public buildings.

Brashnir

Oh I could never see the sucker so I knew it was me, but there seems an edge of desperation to him now.

Like he owes someone money to the wrong people or something. If we don't intervene he's gonna start stealing our cutlery and pulling copper out of public buildings.

The real suckers were everyone back in the day who assumed improved technology would make videogames better.

Megasoum

Banned
I hope more people on the staff will play Tomb Raider before the GOTY stuff.

I know that Dan and Jeff said they were intested in trying it.

justjim89

Fallout may not be the best looking game, especially since I'm playing on medium settings, but the color vibrancy and art style go a long way. It's really a beautiful looking game at certain points. Earlier I was talking with a guy in power armor in the open sunlight and the way the sun was shining off it was really nice looking.

Also, that game does a good job of making you apprehensive about delving deep into urban areas. Playing on the second hardest difficulty and just a short trip into the Fens has cost me half of my stimpacks and a third of my 10mm ammo.

Thankfully they no longer split up skills of handling energy weapons vs. traditional guns.

kai3345

Banned
playing fallout 4 and am discovering that you can't kill non hostile npcs (i.e. townspeople or that asshole preston garvey). fuck this game

danm999

playing fallout 4 and am discovering that you can't kill non hostile npcs (i.e. townspeople or that asshole preston garvey). fuck this game

So you can't sever the thread of prophecy and persist in a doomed world you have created huh?

That's disappointing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

You can't kill random people wantonly? Fuck that. Now it's not just ruining Fallout's good name, that's going against everything Bethesda games stand for.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
At least the darkness got a decent sequel but i agree with your sentiment

Yeah I thought The Darkness 2 was dope. Underrated. Neat story conceit too with the asylum stuff. It's a "finish it in a day and never touch it again" kind of game though (unless you replay it like I did earlier this year)

KingKong

Playing Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 really makes you appreciate how good everything in MGS5 is

They absolutely nailed the controls, movement, ui, menu design. Its kind of incredible actually

I hope more people on the staff will play Tomb Raider before the GOTY stuff.

I know that Dan and Jeff said they were intested in trying it.

I hope they do so because it's a fantastic game and it looks so fucking goood. No spoilers just from the first hour of play but man great things happen later, have a total of 5 hours of playtime now.

At least the darkness got a decent sequel but i agree with your sentiment

Yup, I enjoyed it but it got nothing on the original game. Heck, it's one of those games that you WANT to hit a loading screen to hear more of Jackie stories. It also made you care about a certain character very quickly in a way most games don't. Man, now I want to play The Darkness again.

the game doesn't even really account for different "legitimate" styles of play so I'm not surprised that they didn't bother to account for extreme styles like a genocide run.

none of the stats or perks really matter. at best they let you talk your way out of killing everyone in very specific circumstances, but for the most part they're just quality of life things. like, oh i can hack this terminal so my life is slightly easier.

it's just a matter of time before we see a bunch of 0 skill point runs because even in situations when you have to hack a computer to progress, they'll just have the password laying around somewhere. or, you can bring a buddy who will hack it for you. for a role playing game, there's really only one role they want you to play.

Megasoum

Banned
I hope they do so because it's a fantastic game and it looks so fucking goood. No spoilers just from the first hour of play but man great things happen later, have a total of 5 hours of playtime now.

Yeah... I have Fallout 4 and AC Syndicate and I still ended up playing TR all night lol.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Tomb Raider is confirmed to head to PC right? Not just a rumor?

I've got so much to finish up right now(Undertale, Syndicate, Fallout, all those Halloween sale games on Steam, more Mario Maker and the incoming Xenoblade and Yakuza free time suction devices) combined with work, tv, and WoW time there's just no way I'll get around to playing it until next year, but it looks really really good.

Giant Bombcast 11/10/2015 - Arkham Knight's PC Port and Dave Lang's Business Minute

I've got so much to finish up right now(Undertale, Syndicate, Fallout, all those Halloween sale games on Steam, more Mario Maker and the incoming Xenoblade and Yakuza free time suction devices) combined with work, tv, and WoW time there's just no way I'll get around to playing it until next year, but it looks really really good.

Q1 2016 confirmed

Yup and PS4. Man, it already looks fucking nuts. I can't wait to see how it'll look on PC.

Playing Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 really makes you appreciate how good everything in MGS5 is

They absolutely nailed the controls, movement, ui, menu design. Its kind of incredible actually

I don't understand this sentiment at all, but I hear it all the time. You can't apply MGSV controls to The Witcher. I think you guys just like the framerate. Not attacking you personally or anything but I swear it's like when people who only play Call of Duty say that every shooter should play like that, even if the gameplay is totally different.

justjim89

I feel pretty much the opposite, personally. Fallout and Witcher just illustrate how shallow and half-baked MGSV is, in my eyes. The sneaking is pretty good but more or less everything else is bungled and fucked up.

I'll never understand how anyone can evangelise MGSV in it's blatantly rushed/unfinished state. It's just not done, no matter how good the core gameplay loop is there's no excusing this. And Konami is actively working to make the game worse with patches. It's like a masterclass in how not to release a game; were it not for Arkham Knight, I'd totally see it winning Hottest Mess.

kai3345

Banned
the game doesn't even really account for different "legitimate" styles of play so I'm not surprised that they didn't bother to account for extreme styles like a genocide run.

none of the stats or perks really matter. at best they let you talk your way out of killing everyone in very specific circumstances, but for the most part they're just quality of life things. like, oh i can hack this terminal so my life is slightly easier.

it's just a matter of time before we see a bunch of 0 skill point runs because even in situations when you have to hack a computer to progress, they'll just have the password laying around somewhere. or, you can bring a buddy who will hack it for you. for a role playing game, there's really only one role they want you to play.

yeah fuck this. im returning this game

justjim89

At some point, MGSV is going to be brought up for a negative category. Hottest Mess, Most Disappointing, Please Stop, etc. It won't win, but it'll get brought up in some capacity and boy howdy I can't wait to hear how Dan reacts to that.

yeah I'm looking forward to stuff like this for FO4. should be interesting in general to see what people cook up.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing the survival mods. Combined with the base defense stuff, it could get very interesting.

The legendary enemies thing also bears exploring. Definite potential in such a simple, yet cool, addition.

justjim89

That's a great fucking mod for roleplaying. It works great with the main quest startup, too, cause you can still venture to Helgen, discover chaos, and things more or less progress naturally from there. My last Skyrim character was a Bosmer hunter who lived in the woods and traded furs in Helgen. Upon discovering his source of income was burned to the ground, he naturally decided to investigate. Boom. Perfect. No prisoner nonsense.

With Fallout4, since your character's whole motivation is looking for family and you come from the past, a fairly significant amount of character backstory is non-negotiable.

That's a great fucking mod for roleplaying. It works great with the main quest startup, too, cause you can still venture to Helgen, discover chaos, and things more or less progress naturally from there. My last Skyrim character was a Bosmer hunter who lived in the woods and traded furs in Helgen. Upon discovering his source of income was burned to the ground, he naturally decided to investigate. Boom. Perfect. No prisoner nonsense.

With Fallout 3 and 4, since your character's whole motivation is looking for family and you come from the past, a fairly significant amount of character backstory is non-negotiable.

The thing I see holding a lot of mods back for FO4 specifically is the voice over stuff. It's always weird when mods use silent subtitles when the rest of the game is voiced.

Immersion mods are always fun, which makes dissonance like that real bothersome.
Opinions?
[Extreme] opinions.

justjim89

The thing I see holding a lot of mods back for FO4 specifically is the voice over stuff. It's always weird when mods use silent subtitles when the rest of the game is voiced.

Immersion mods are always fun, which makes dissonance like that real bothersome.

Even as much as I love Fallout 4 thus far, I don't think it's unfair to say Bethesda isn't necessarily devoted to making RPG's exactly. They're open-ended, open-world action games with increasingly light character development. Hell, in Fallout 4 you don't even have the ol' "Improve a skill by using it" mechanic that's been present in Bethesda games since Morrowind. You just do things and occasionally unlock a perk that lets you do things better.

Really curious to see how Elder Scrolls 6 ends up looking, since Skyrim was already such a jack of all trades sort of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom