• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played 20 hours of Fallout 4 and I really love it, you can bitch about the writing, bugs and general Bethesdaness but it's a damn fun video game that's addictive as hell. It's a game that's better than the sum of it's parts, if you scrutinize all of it's systems separately it kind of starts looking bad but something about how it all come together has really got me hooked.

danm999

Even as much as I love Fallout 4 thus far, I don't think it's unfair to say Bethesda isn't necessarily devoted to making RPG's exactly. They're open-ended, open-world action games with increasingly light character development. Hell, in Fallout 4 you don't even have the ol' "Improve a skill by using it" mechanic that's been present in Bethesda games since Morrowind. You just do things and occasionally unlock a perk that lets you do things better.

Really curious to see how Elder Scrolls 6 ends up looking, since Skyrim was already such a jack of all trades sort of game.

They make good games and poor RPGs basically.

Zornack

Hell, in Fallout 4 you don't even have the ol' "Improve a skill by using it" mechanic that's been present in Bethesda games since Morrowind. You just do things and occasionally unlock a perk that lets you do things better.

That wasn't in FO3, was it? I think that's an Elder Scrolls thing, not a Bethesda thing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
At this point, yeah. I think one of the reasons people hold Morrowind in such high regard is because it was the last time they made a really great RPG, on top of best-in-class worldbuilding and atmosphere.

Terrible gameplay though, even if I loved the game.

danm999

Actually the gameplay thing I'm really curious about is whether Fallout 4 has that scaled levelling system Skyrim, Oblivion and Fallout 3 had.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think FO 4 looks really nice graphically.

Course I'm playing on ultra at 60 fps
wtzgU.gif

What was that fmv game played a while ago that had Rob Snider or something and made no fucking sense at all
Newest Fallout bug: Whenever my health hits zero my screen blacks out and then fades back up and I have full health again. Hmm.
You have been visited by Mr. Skeltal, now you will get the bad ending.

ant1532

Banned
aaaaaaand Dan just spoils me a major twist in MGSV on accident in the new metal gear scanlon. Drew didn't notice. ehhh. Well it was actually my main theory and the most obvious at that ....
so you ARE playing as a clone. thought that was coming. now i cant wait for the mission where it says starring "venom snake" and "big boss"

Dineren

Banned
Seeing Dan use the console to max his encumbrance is really making it tempting. I hate managing inventory since I'm a hoarder in RPGs, but I know if I do it once I won't be able to resist doing it again for something else.

shwimpy

aaaaaaand Dan just spoils me a major twist in MGSV on accident in the new metal gear scanlon. Drew didn't notice. ehhh. Well it was actually my main theory and the most obvious at that ....
so you ARE playing as a clone. thought that was coming. now i cant wait for the mission where it says starring "venom snake" and "big boss"
Drew probably already knows.

BigBoss

You haven't been spoiled, that doesn't happen.

Wunder

got a time stamp for that?

He figure that out the first episode.

tuxfool

Banned

Nah. He didn't spoil you.

The real answer is even more stupid.

TraBuch

Banned
That factory in Fallout 4 filled with the pyromaniac assholes is rouuuuugh. Molotov cocktails and flamethrowers and lasers left and right.

TraBuch

Banned
Did you beat it? The last section is just filled with cars that start exploding as they shoot at you
I don't think there were exploding cars here. The place is called Saugus Ironworks or something. I did go to one factory where a few cars blew up and killed me, though.

KingKong

I don't think there were exploding cars here. The place is called Saugus Ironworks or something. I did go to one factory where a few cars blew up and killed me, though.

Hmm maybe Im thinking of another place then, the one that the minuteman sends you to help with

justjim89

I found an alleyway with locked doors on either side filled with raiders that looooove their molotovs. And the entrance I was hiding by was lined with cars. That was rough.

11 hours in on Very Hard, still never seen a legendary enemy.

Hmm... My subscription is good until Dec 2017, and I basically only have time to watch content when I iron laundry... I should probably just get another year, to be safe.

daydream

Banned
contest: who can waste more money trying to get rhythm tengoku badges in nintendo arcade badge centre palooza

worked on a paper all-night, gimme a break here with yer contests, breh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom