• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Fallout 4 is such a vacuum of average that time passes differently while playing. In reality he's probably only put 5 hours in.

LiK

Fallout 4 is such a vacuum of average that time passes differently while playing. In reality he's probably only put 5 hours in.

it has some really good sidequests and reveals. I hate the factions tho. always dumb to make us choose one over another. it's been played out.

I can't even imagine how annoying Fallout 4 would be if I would care about the base building.

I would have more fun with it if it didn't require so many damn parts to enjoy. collecting junk is not fun.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I'm most amazed Austin had time to put all that time into both Fallout and Xenoblade.

My guess is that he didn't finish Xenoblade. He's clearly the only person on staff who would give XBCX the time of day, and I'm really happy he liked it enough to get to the Skell stuff, which it sounds like is where the game becomes full on RAD. I'm mostly glad that someone at GB played that game, compared to the original which was also very rad, but no one played at all.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My guess is that he didn't finish Xenoblade. He's clearly the only person on staff who would give XBCX the time of day, and I'm really happy he liked it enough to get to the Skell stuff, which it sounds like is where the game becomes full on RAD. I'm mostly glad that someone at GB played that game, compared to the original which was also very rad, but no one played at all.

I mean, even the fact that he's gotten that far in that and said he's spent over 30 hours and all this stuff he's said he's done in Fallout 4. I didn't expect him to beat either and I'm still amazed he's had time for both because I know he does the school and work thing.

I've got Fallout 4 and feel like I've barely touched it due to work and Xenoblade's coming tomorrow. Not to mention if Yakuza shows up before the end of the year... No idea where to find the time.

I can't link because I'm on mobile but Kotaku recently had an essay by Patrica Hernendez (probably butchering that) about how Fallout 4's interactions always boil down to violence. It really sums up my problems with the game, it's still my favorite thing I played this year but I feel like the interactions with other characters feel way less open than before

LiK

I can't link because I'm on mobile but Kotaku recently had an essay by Patrica Hernendez (probably butchering that) about how Fallout 4's interactions always boil down to violence. It really sums up my problems with the game, it's still my favorite thing I played this year but I feel like the interactions with other characters feel way less open than before

well, not all. if you have enough Charisma, you can just talk your way out of some of them.

that trailer basically spoils what i assume to be most of the movie AND makes it look kind of shitty in the process

A++ fucking job

I had the same issue. not only did it make me want to see it less but it made it seem like it was even less necessary. The trailer just seemed like most of the plot points just without the details.

I can't even imagine how annoying Fallout 4 would be if I would care about the base building.

I gave up on it after the initial sanctuary quest. My base is twelve beds stuffed into a room, and another filled with boxes to categorically store my weapons and armor. The town's sole generator powers lights in my storage room.

jaina

Gonna represent my TitSBoys and beat everyone else over the head with a stick.
yep
itQsRpz.jpg

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I gave up on it after the initial sanctuary quest. My base is twelve beds stuffed into a room, and another filled with boxes to categorically store my weapons and armor. The town's sole generator powers lights in my storage room.

If I would actually be able to build a nice looking village I would maybe bother but since I can just build half-destroyed houses anyway.....eh. Also, it's just so dumb that I have to assign people to things, the game should just do that automatically. Not like there is any skill or management involved anyway.

I still make use of DVDs and Blu-Ray in my computer, so maybe you guys don't I guess? Sometimes I burn home movies for family members who don't have computers but have DVD players. I also still have a use for physical installers, these days especially.

Over the holiday my cousin mentioned that he digitized all our old family videos and to bring a external hard drive to Christmas and he'd copy them over for us. I have him an earful about how he should be uploading that to the cloud instead. He really has no excuse either, he's 30 and teaches computers and robotics to high schoolers at a fairly affluent school. Relying on ancient technology like "external hard drives" is ridiculous.

repeater

Gotta say, I really enjoy Brad's bombasticas.
Agreed! I don't know if it's his nostalgia over these old favorites or the fact that he's recording solo or something else, but he just seems so relaxed and happy, it's a joy to see. Also as someone who's roughly the same age as Brad I can really recognize my own reactions to the games as they came out in Brad's recollections. Like the concept of a FPS set in the Star Wars universe being such a mindblowing revelation e.g. :)
Hey! Be happy with the rest of us who can take their time with Witcher 3, because there's only a minor chance for GOTY spoilers.
I'm just kidding around here, I actually haven't started W3 yet. Though I'm sure when I do, it will rank high on my personal GOTY list for 2015. Though I'd never dream of shitting up the thread if a game I liked didn't rank as highly on the GB GOTY list as I wanted.

Except for Bloodborne.
Bloodborne's special and there will be HELL TO PAY if it doesn't win GOTY.

Over the holiday my cousin mentioned that he digitized all our old family videos and to bring a external hard drive to Christmas and he'd copy them over for us. I have him an earful about how he should be uploading that to the cloud instead. He really has no excuse either, he's 30 and teaches computers and robotics to high schoolers at a fairly affluent school. Relying on ancient technology like "external hard drives" is ridiculous.

He should be doing both, actually, if one really wants to take care of family videos.

Actually I'm now just realizing that this was sarcastic. I think.

justjim89

Errant Signal probably describes it best how Fallout 4 essentially killed any aspect of roleplaying a specific character and how the focused has changed more onto what the player themselves want to do. I loved the game but it's simply not an RPG anymore. At least not in the same way.

I don't like your tone. ignored.

hey, if youre gonna ignore me over Quake 2's soundtrack then no one wins

no one wins

Agreed! I don't know if it's his nostalgia over these old favorites or the fact that he's recording solo or something else, but he just seems so relaxed and happy, it's a joy to see. Also as someone who's roughly the same age as Brad I can really recognize my own reactions to the games as they came out in Brad's recollections. Like the concept of a FPS set in the Star Wars universe being such a mindblowing revelation e.g. :)

His and jeff's enthusiasm about Banjo Nuts and Bolts pushed me into getting rare replay during black friday. Now my backlog has increased by a dozen decent games!

Playing PDZ online again was a literal laugh out loud moment for me. Man, to think i thought that game played well online back during the 360 launch window

So how's Forza 6? Should I get it while it's on sale or wait?

I've:
Never played a Forza before
Playing through Fallout 4
Have Sunset Overdrive

He should be doing both, actually, if one really wants to take care of family videos.

Actually I'm now just realizing that this was sarcastic. I think.

It was a semi-sarcastic earful, but I still think the idea of swapping around an external hard drive to share files is a little dated.

At the moment, the only optical drive I won that is actively useful is the CD player in my car. I don't have any recent consoles and my older consoles have long been boxed up. By the end of the year my PC will be hard drive free when I replace that last 1TB drive with probably a 512ish SSD. Death to mechanical storage, I say.

Xater

Errant Signal probably describes it best how Fallout 4 essentially killed any aspect of roleplaying a specific character and how the focused has changed more onto what the player themselves want to do. I loved the game but it's simply not an RPG anymore. At least not in the same way.

Errant Signal is always great at breaking this stuff down. Yeah, to me it was no longer a RPG at all. Just a bad open world shooter. If I wanted that I'd rather play Far Cry 4 which is not a buggy and janky mess.

LiK

need to check it out. I like people analyzing games.

Errant Signal is always great at breaking this stuff down. Yeah, to me it was no longer a RPG at all. Just a bad open world shooter. If I wanted that I'd rather play Far Cry 4 which is not a buggy and janky mess.

It's so bizarre because Fallout 4's gameplay focuses on emergent creation and Reddit-post-generating wackyness at the expense of story/world consistency, and yet Fallout 4's story depends on having a believable world and down-to-earth player character more than any other Bethesda game. All the design decisions in that game run totally perpendicular to each other.

I'm most amazed Austin had time to put all that time into both Fallout and Xenoblade.

i mean if my job was to play games you bet your ass i would, well, i would play games.

It's hard for the average joe with a 40 hour work week, a partner, and general life obligations to play those huge games in a short span of time. I have an hour, maybe two tops a day that I could get gaming done. Hell, i schedule longer games for when I have staycations, things like New Vegas or Dark Souls for example. I just want to be able to play long sessions of them instead of small bits per day

it's easier to do it if you could play games as part of your occupation, though.

well, not all. if you have enough Charisma, you can just talk your way out of some of them.

I happened upon a diner with two raiders hasting the owner. A dialog option said "Piss off", something to that extent, and selecting it immediately had mission complete appear. That was fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom