• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Hmmm, should I get it? My December is already packed.

Have you played the other Trails games? If not, I might recommend checking out Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky SC first. Not because they are directly related in story, they are separate stories on the same land mass, but because Trails in the Sky is already complete and amazing. Going by reactions from those who've played the Japanese release, Cold Steel 1 is a worse written game than Trails in the Sky, but still good and Cold Steel 2 (which is coming to the US next year) is one of the best games in the series. XSEED seems to be trying to fix up some of the problems with CS 1 in localization as well.

The Trails series is a very classic style JRPG and is something we don't see much of. Trails in the Sky SC is absolutely in my Top 5 games of this year. It's just an amazingly cool world with great characters. It's probably the most well written JRPG I've seen since Persona 4.

So, if you're a JRPG fan, you should absolutely check out the Trails series. I can't really say if you should start at Cold Steel, but you can begin either there or the original Trails in the Sky and be fine. Cold Steel does have the benefit of a pretty cool collectors edition with an art book and pin as well as a cool box that can hold both it and Cold Steel 2.

chrixter

I actually have no idea what you could possibly be referring to unless you have a reeeeally broad definition of a jump scare.
Lights suddenly black out accompanied by loud sound. Made me jump.

Similar tactic as you approach the door containing the omnitool. Made me jump.

There was a third one I can't remember now that surprised me but didn't quite make me jump.

Granted these aren't quite "turn around LOL MONSTER IN YO FACE" or some shit but still fall within the jump scare category for me.

Intrigued by the game's premise so far though.

I actually have no idea what you could possibly be referring to unless you have a reeeeally broad definition of a jump scare.

Yeah I'm struggling to think of any actual jump scares in the whole game, let alone the intro. Plus as tchocky said, the first 30 minutes is completely removed from any horror stuff.

Have you played the other Trails games? If not, I might recommend checking out Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky SC first. Not because they are directly related in story, they are separate stories on the same land mass, but because Trails in the Sky is already complete and amazing. Going by reactions from those who've played the Japanese release, Cold Steel 1 is a worse written game than Trails in the Sky, but still good and Cold Steel 2 (which is coming to the US next year) is one of the best games in the series. XSEED seems to be trying to fix up some of the problems with CS 1 in localization as well.

The Trails series is a very classic style JRPG and is something we don't see much of. Trails in the Sky SC is absolutely in my Top 5 games of this year. It's just an amazingly cool world with great characters. It's probably the most well written JRPG I've seen since Persona 4.

So, if you're a JRPG fan, you should absolutely check out the Trails series. I can't really say if you should start at Cold Steel, but you can begin either there or the original Trails in the Sky and be fine. Cold Steel does have the benefit of a pretty cool collectors edition with an art book and pin as well as a cool box that can hold both it and Cold Steel 2.
I really need to make playing the Trails series a priority, my backlog of RPGs is stupidly long at this point but it sounds like it's worth playing the Trails games ASAP.

I really need to make playing the Trails series a priority, my backlog of RPGs is stupidly long at this point but it sounds like it's worth playing the Trails games ASAP.

I'll second that. As clickbaity as that Kotaku article's title was, i personally agree with trails in sky first chapter and second chapter being the best JRPG this decade. Not that the competition is huge or anything, but they are still very great games.

Lights suddenly black out accompanied by loud sound. Made me jump.

Similar tactic as you approach the door containing the omnitool. Made me jump.

There was a third one I can't remember now that surprised me but didn't quite make me jump.

Granted these aren't quite "turn around LOL MONSTER IN YO FACE" or some shit but still fall within the jump scare category for me.

Intrigued by the game's premise so far though.

Hm, I guess I don't remember much from the beginning of the game past the apartment/office section. I hope you stick with it though, it's so good.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a huuuuuge baby when it comes to spooky games, like I had to turn off PT within 5 minutes because I couldn't deal with it. But I didn't find anything in Soma scary. None of the scripted moments got me, only time I remember "jumping" was when one of the monsters grabbed me somewhat unexpectedly. That game isn't scary at all. There's one sequence very very late-game that I found incredibly unnerving and genuinely scary, but not in the "I'm spooked" kinda way, but saying more would be kind of spoilery, and also I think that was partly just because it spoke very directly to one of my personal phobias.

Maybe it's because I saw through the "gamey" aspects of Soma's horror elements completely and that's why it failed to spook me, but if a coward like me can play it, I'm pretty sure anyone can.

I'll second that. As clickbaity as that Kotaku article's title was, i personally agree with trails in sky first chapter and second chapter being the best JRPG this decade. Not that the competition is huge or anything, but they are still very great games.

I'll probably end up getting to them once I've finished my playthrough of P4 for this year, now that Xenoblade X is out it's kind of a while before any big RPG comes out so it's a good time to finally start a Trails game.

I'm a huuuuuge baby when it comes to spooky games, like I had to turn off PT within 5 minutes because I couldn't deal with it. But I didn't find anything in Soma scary. None of the scripted moments got me, only time I remember "jumping" was when one of the monsters grabbed me somewhat unexpectedly. That game isn't scary at all. There's one sequence very very late-game that I found incredibly unnerving and genuinely scary, but not in the "I'm spooked" kinda way, but saying more would be kind of spoilery, and also I think that was partly just because it spoke very directly to one of my personal phobias.

Maybe it's because I saw through the "gamey" aspects of Soma's horror elements completely and that's why it failed to spook me, but if a coward like me can play it, I'm pretty sure anyone can.

Fuck the deep sea

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Did Jeff finish Transformers Devastation? I REALLY hope he got through it before this week. Seems like a game he would champion.

The only person I could see championing it was Jason and Jason recently said he doesn't think it's very good.

And Jeff's wrong. The Highmoon games are much better.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Fun Q2 video by Brad, but I was a huuuuge fan of that game back in the day and I couldn't force myself through the single player portion. It's a shame he didn't like the deathmatch as much as I did. I rememeber that game as the central game behind LAN parties back then. This Thresh FFA demo still makes me want to play. Sorry for the horrible blurriness.

https://youtu.be/kbWJPq7T2VY

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I like Greg, but this is just stupid.
That trailer looked like absolute garbage.

I don't like Greg, and this is just stupid.
That trailer does look like garbage. That guy what was in the Facebook movie looks absolutely terrrrrrrrible in this. And since when is Bruce Wayne a reactionary? On some level I kind of admire that they're just painting him as a fascist here but you know it's just a plot excuse to get them to fight and then make up rather than a critique of America or whatever.

yami4ct

You absolutely should. What I like most about the Trails games is how damn deep the world building is. They've built both a modern history of interesting political conflicts and countries as well as a fascinating ancient history being told through myths and ruins. I think it's a testament to that world building that the reason I'm super excited for Cold Steel isn't the direct story it's telling, I actually know nothing about it, but that we finally get to see Erebonia. They are a major empire and political player in Trails in the Sky, but we only hear about them through descriptions from other characters.

Yes. People who've played it say its good and we need more trails games.

If what XSEED has said is true, Falcom is finally serious about making the series a thing in the West. I think it's a good bet that Cold Steel 3 will come over whenever that hits. The only ones in question are 3rd/Azure and Zero. I really hope we do end up getting them as I want to see Crossbell. The things said about that nation in SC make it sound really interesting.

I like Greg, but this is just stupid.
That trailer looked like absolute garbage.

Yeah. I like Greg too, but he is a self-proclaimed DC fanboy. Now, Batman and Superman are my personal favorite superheroes, though on the whole I prefer Marvel. I think Greg's excitement is due to the fact that as a child he could only dream of such a movie and now it is coming, his inner child is freaking out. I don't expect the movie to be good because Zack Snyder has never created a critical hit. He makes visually amazing movies, but they are always hollow. I do like this trailer way more than the initial one though.

I also agree reaction videos are dumb while hypocritically watching Giant Bomb watch boring press conferences. I suppose it's a bit different but also feel I can't judge those who watch trailer reactions.

I also agree reaction videos are dumb while hypocritically watching Giant Bomb watch boring press conferences. I suppose it's a bit different but also feel I can't judge those who watch trailer reactions.

Remember they actually have plans to revisit some of those.

Hey, that was a year ago when everyone was in town for GOTY! Yikes, what a fast year! I hope we got similar content (i.e. mailbags) at some point this week or next.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I think there's a small difference between watching an entire thing and joking about it as opposed to screaming about a commercial. That said, until you posted I did have a joke reply about Gen X reacts to shitty FMV games.

BearPawB

Banned
Yeah. I like Greg too, but he is a self-proclaimed DC fanboy. Now, Batman and Superman are my personal favorite superheroes, though on the whole I prefer Marvel. I think Greg's excitement is due to the fact that as a child he could only dream of such a movie and now it is coming, his inner child is freaking out. I don't expect the movie to be good because Zack Snyder has never created a critical hit. He makes visually amazing movies, but they are always hollow. I do like this trailer way more than the initial one though.

I just don't even know why they called this movie Batman vs Superman, when it was obvious from the jump they were gonna team up. When other characters like Wonder Woman seem to have very large roles.

I get being excited at the idea of this movie.
I don't get being excited about Snyder, or about any second of footage they have shown so far.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's a small difference between watching an entire thing and joking about it as opposed to screaming about a commercial.

This. Apples and oranges.

What gets me about BvS most is honestly just how fucking bad it looks aesthetically. It's a CG-ified digital grading nightmare, just darkness on top of darkness all the way down because SO GRITTY. And everyone in it is a scowling asshole because... I don't know, some misguided attempt at "maturity". Blech.

Say what you want about Nolan but the dude respects cinematography and always uses a really really good DP.

Xater

Well they are somewhat different. GB got jokes and actual insights. The reaction videos I have seen so far were always people just screaming or hyperventilating on camera.

santeesioux

I've had Persona Q just sitting here waiting to be played for like a year, finally got around to trying it after beating Fallout 4 and just found out I can't put up with what I feel is the repetitive Etrian Odyssey gameplay despite the Persona trappings and fanservice. That sucks, On to Bayonetta I guess.

Didn't Tales from the Borderlands get announced at TGAs? Maybe I'm misremembering. I would freak out if Season 2 got announced.

Yup, I think it was that and Game of Thrones that got announced and with GOT recently getting a second season announced I guess we could be due for an announcement of a season 2 for Tales.

I just don't even know why they called this movie Batman vs Superman, when it was obvious from the jump they were gonna team up. When other characters like Wonder Woman seem to have very large roles.

Because marketing, slapping your two biggest characters into the title of a film and saying that they're going to fight each other is more likely to catch peoples attention than saying you're making a Justice League film.

SomberOwl

Was today's Mixlr any good? If so is it archived anywhere?

Also Jazzpunk is coming to PS4. I'll finally get a chance to play this game. Lots of indies being announced prior to PSX over at the PlayStation blog. Hopefully some of them are "and it's out now" type deals. I suspect Drawn to Death willbe since the trophies for that game are out.

Anyway is there going to be a YouTube live stream for the game awards, i'll need to watch them on my phone.

Does anyone even care about the awards? I just want to see the reveals.

yami4ct

I've had Persona Q just sitting here waiting to be played for like a year, finally got around to trying it after beating Fallout 4 and just found out I can't put up with what I feel is the repetitive Etrian Odyssey gameplay despite the Persona trappings and fanservice. That sucks, On to Bayonetta I guess.

Persona Q wishes it played half as well as Etrian Odyssey. Game really misses a ton by not having you distribute skill points and the battle system is no where close to as deep. Still liked the game, but left wanting more EO.

Could be, I don't recall! The show has actually been rather entertaining the past couple of years, in any case.

I've been surprised at how good it's been. Sure, it's a bit boring in spots and could be better, but it's exponentially better than the Spike shit.

Speaking of Greg, on their most recent Gamescast (Chris Watters from GameSpot was the guest), he talked about how much the industry has changed since he was hired in 2007. He said IGN and GameSpot were bitter enemies at the time and if you were at an event (like E3) and ran into an employee of the other side, you were not allowed to converse with them. He said once he ran into Brad, but couldn't talk to him and now they are good friends. Was thinking how awkward it would've been for people from either site that are currently dating (i.e Alexa from GameSpot and Mitch from IGN).

yami4ct

Yup, I think it was that and Game of Thrones that got announced and with GOT recently getting a second season announced I guess we could be due for an announcement of a season 2 for Tales.

I sure hope it does.

I'm afraid this will be like Wolf Among Us and the good TellTale games are doomed to die after a single season.

Also Jazzpunk is coming to PS4. I'll finally get a chance to play this game. Lots of indies being announced prior to PSX over at the PlayStation blog. Hopefully some of them are "and it's out now" type deals. I suspect Drawn to Death willbe since the trophies for that game are out.

Anyway is there going to be a YouTube live stream for the game awards, i'll need to watch them on my phone.

Yeah, that Ikea-like one is also coming. As for Drawn to Death (it will be Free to Play for anyone interested), I'd imagine that's a good bet. They announce it at PSX 1 and then launch it at PSX 2. Makes sense, I guess.

santeesioux

Persona Q wishes it played half as well as Etrian Odyssey. Game really misses a ton by not having you distribute skill points and the battle system is no where close to as deep. Still liked the game, but left wanting more EO.

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be hating on a series I only played for like 15 minutes in a demo, but the Persona Q gameplay was some of the most repetitive chores I've ever tried to play. Maybe some of the problem was I think between all of the other Persona spinoff games and multiple animes, I'm just done with these characters and am so ready for 5 with some new ones.

Zaph

Not sure. Here http://jefflr.moe/

Still need to get around to playing that.

Yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4WXkKQiEw8

No. Me too.

yami4ct

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't be hating on a series I only played for like 15 minutes in a demo, but the Persona Q gameplay was some of the most repetitive chores I've ever tried to play. Maybe some of the problem was I think between all of the other Persona spinoff games and multiple animes, I'm just done with these characters and am so ready for 5 with some new ones.

I assume you don't dig rogue-likes either? That's not a knock, EO just might not be your thing and that's cool.

For me, slowly making through a dungeon and desperately clawing my way through each floor is a super compelling and exciting experience. You add a fairly deep battle system to that as well as EO4's massively customizable class system and you get one of my favorite games of all time.

In addition to the worse battle system, PQ was just too easy for me. You shouldn't be able to take out most of a dungeon in a single go in an EO-style game. You remove so much tension when you make the dungeon crawling easier.

santeesioux

I assume you don't dig rogue-likes either? That's not a knock, EO just might not be your thing and that's cool.

For me, slowly making through a dungeon and desperately clawing my way through each floor is a super compelling and exciting experience. You add a fairly deep battle system to that as well as EO4's massively customizable class system and you get one of my favorite games of all time.

In addition to the worse battle system, PQ was just too easy for me. You shouldn't be able to take out most of a dungeon in a single go in an EO-style game. You remove so much tension when you make the dungeon crawling easier.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of that genre, so that might be why I didn't like PQ. It's obviously a different genre, but the stories of Persona 3 and 4 are what kept me going through the grinding in those games even though I got tired of it after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom