• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fun fact: I currently possess a copy of Fallout 4. I was massively looking forward to it, and I fucking LOVED Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim, etc. The jank has never bothered me, and Mass Effect 1 on 360 is my favorite game ever, so clearly I have zero problem with shit framerate.

The tone of discussion on Fallout 4 has meant that I have not yet bothered to play the game, and I'm increasingly feeling like I don't want to play it, even though I'm fairly certain I would love the game.

That is all.

Just load it up and play it imo. As someone else said, it's better than the sum of it's parts. Focus on any individual part and it can sound bad but I absolutely love playing it.

It's funny how the Pokemon knockoff game actually moves well and has a nice framerate while actual Pokemon still has jank-ass 8-way movement and can barely run smoothly even after removing 3D from half the game.

Patryn

It's funny how the Pokemon knockoff game actually moves well and has a nice framerate while actual Pokemon still has jank-ass 8-way movement and can barely run smoothly even after removing 3D from half the game.

If, hypothetically, a person had a wife who was a major Pokemon fan, do you think that wife would like Yokai Watch?

LiK

"Mods in /r/starwarsbattlefront accept bribes from an EA community representative to censor content. Reddit admin then bans all of the mods, proclaiming that "Dark Side corruption has been removed." EA's community manager scoffs at reddit and promises that his team will stay away." that's the title of the post but seems to summarize pretty well.

whoa

daydream

Banned
sometimes i think level-5 exists solely for me, i pretty much fall in love with everything they put out, at least on nintendo platforms. probably for the better i haven't played white knight chronicles

If, hypothetically, a person had a wife who was a major Pokemon fan, do you think that wife would like Yokai Watch?

don't see why not!

mainline pokemon hasn't been good post-r/s/e, it is known

ORAS has full 3D movement. I haven't watched the QL, but does Yokai have 60 while the 3D is on?

Some people are saying that, but it would probably come down to a person's experience. There are some who really dislike the battle system. It might be worth asking that question in the OT.

Herbs

Banned
That moment when Drew rides through town on a tank with that music:

MGS3.jpg

Jintor

funny, i always feel like they make stuff that sounds good and I play it for a bit and go "...eh"

/edit whelp gmg gave me a voucher and their f4 is real cheapo. GOODBYE WORLD

daydream

Banned
oh, you could also just download the demo and try that first, patryn

meanwhile, eu peeps gotta wait till next year, let's hope we at least get the demo soon

edit: 'cuttah-nah", great

great.

No_Style

I was thinking this was something about the game itself but instead it's just Reddit mods who were just unethical. Of course EA's marketing team are going to dangle small treats in an attempt to control their message. It's their job as modern day Internet "account managers" to woo people to do their bidding. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's super easy manipulate when one side of the business has resources while the other are just volunteers with no compensation whatsoever.

I'm about 7 hours in with Fallout. No real issues except I was killed by a door once and everyone throws grenades that instakill early on. I loved 3 and burned myself out on that content years ago. This is definitely fallout 3.5 but that's fine.

everything about fallout 4 more and more makes it sound less like an rpg and more like a borderlands style loot shooter but instead of meaningful level design and unique class builds it's all basically a moonscape filled with lootable shacks on every peak and valley, and perks for +/-% to damage and resistance.

hope y'all are ready for the best+ localisation announcement tonight

goodbye sweet world, otherwise ;-;
Is Rhythm Region Free yet?

[EDIT - Regarding the thread announcing tonight's Direct, I was sad that the overarching sentiment seemed to be "GAWD FINALLY! It's about time for a new Direct...!!!" and not, "Iwata recently passed away, I wonder if they'll do something sweet to commemorate him..."

:( ]

Patryn

everything about fallout 4 more and more makes it sound less like an rpg and more like a borderlands style loot shooter but instead of meaningful level design and unique class builds it's all basically a moonscape filled with lootable shacks on every peak and valley, perks for +/-% to damage and resistance.

EmCee, you were definitely already in the camp that was predisposed to not liking Fallout 4 in the first place.

Rainmaker

Banned
I've been playing Fallout 4 (PS4) pretty much nonstop since Tuesday morning. The frame drops get irritating but they haven't happened so much that they were a huge problem. I'm having so much fun with this game.

No_Style

I'm about 7 hours in with Fallout. No real issues except I was killed by a door once and everyone throws grenades that instakill early on. I loved 3 and burned myself out on that content years ago. This is definitely fallout 3.5 but that's fine.

Door deaths. They always bring me back to Shogo MAD where opening doors was perilous. If you didn't step back, they would crush you.

Dineren

Banned
I really wanted to like Yokai Watch, but after a few hours I'm not sure how much longer I'll keep going. The detail they put into the town is pretty amazing and it runs great, but I just can't get into the battle system at all. It just feels tedious to me.

It also gave me an excuse to download that Nintendo badge thing and I ended up wasting $10 on pointless badges I'll never use again. The game is a menace.

Myggen

I was thinking this was something about the game itself but instead it's just Reddit mods who were just unethical. Of course EA's marketing team are going to dangle small treats in an attempt to control their message. It's their job as modern day Internet "account managers" to woo people to do their bidding. And I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it's super easy manipulate when one side of the business has resources while the other are just volunteers with no compensation whatsoever.

It's partly why we've probably only seen the start of that shit when it comes to publishers trying to influence YT coverage and how your game is presented on big subreddits etc. It's why the ethics in games journalism crowd's stated wish that the corrupt games media dies out so THE PEOPLE can take over (YouTube) is always so funny to me. Jeff mentioned that their contact with publishers go though PR while YouTube networks increasingly go through marketing, which makes sense because the line between coverage and paid coverage is so thin.

everything about fallout 4 more and more makes it sound less like an rpg and more like a borderlands style loot shooter but instead of meaningful level design and unique class builds it's all basically a moonscape filled with lootable shacks on every peak and valley, and perks for +/-% to damage and resistance.

this is like near 100% accurate

like, it's pretty enjoyable for what it is, I'm finding. but it does not do what it says on the tin.

not sure i get the question, singular games aren't region-free

if you did the yt or ironhax exploit, you could be playing it right now. i've been holding off, hoping for a localisation announcement in the next (i.e. today's) direct
I mean the fundamental concept of rhythm :D

[EDIT - And of course, Cheesemeister's response to most Nintendo update threads.]

I like Pokemon but Yokai Watch doesn't seem like something i'd enjoy. The combat system looks kinda shallow since they auto fight. That food stuff seems frustrating too. If I want to catch a Yokai and don't want to just throw random food at it i'd have to look up the food it wants.

Jintor

Is Rhythm Region Free yet?

[EDIT - Regarding the thread announcing tonight's Direct, I was sad that the overarching sentiment seemed to be "GAWD FINALLY! It's about time for a new Direct...!!!" and not, "Iwata recently passed away, I wonder if they'll do something sweet to commemorate him..."

:( ]

Gaf moved through the grief phase a while ago. It was pretty strong in any event

Das Ace

playing fallout 4 and am discovering that you can't kill non hostile npcs (i.e. townspeople or that asshole preston garvey). fuck this game

You can though? I accidentally murdered half of a friendly ghoul settlement because I thought it was the raider camp I was looking for. I only stopped when I noticed I had blown the brains out of 'Wise Old Man' and Codsworth started berating me.

Is this any different to any Bethesda game? Nothing they do seems impressive next to similar elements in other games, but there's so many boxes to tick and ways to power up your character that people easily get addicted.

tuxfool

Banned
You can though? I accidentally murdered half of a friendly ghoul settlement because I thought it was the raider camp I was looking for. I only stopped when I noticed I had blown the brains out of 'Wise Old Man' and Codsworth started berating me.

It is selective. It depends on how important they are.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I had no idea you could blow up those blocks with a bomb, I think he is actually going to do it.

If only Patrick understood p switchs, pow blocks, and the differences between. He could turn that empty block into a coin with the p-switch cannon and get it out of the way altogether.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You have to hit that ? block at an angle, right?

That was how Dan designed it, but the bomb thing could work theoretically (with an incredibly small window). He could also trigger the invisible box, go back down on the thwomp and hit one of the floating p-switches and the empty box will turn into a coin, letting him get the box above without bothering with the bomb.

hamchan

You have to hit that ? block at an angle, right?

Yep. It feels like every time Patrick goes through a Dan level he learns a new quirk about the Mario mechanics.

Every time he just runs at the blocks and only does a tiny hop onto the bottom block it kills me.

Patryn

If he stopped carefully lining up that jump, he might stumble on the angle thing.

EDIT: Patrick, if every time it blows up that ? block at "4 and..", maybe you should throw at 5?

I like Pokemon but Yokai Watch doesn't seem like something i'd enjoy. The combat system looks kinda shallow since they auto fight. That food stuff seems frustrating too. If I want to catch a Yokai and don't want to just throw random food at it i'd have to look up the food it wants.

There's a demo, which reveals that the game is shit. Knowledge that the developer is Level 5, however, reveals that truth even faster.

also why aren't you a cat anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom