• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houndi101

Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann 31s31 seconds ago

They made a Discs of Tron game in VR. They made a Discs of fucking Tron VR demo. Holy shit.
22 retweets 30 likes

Houndi101

Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann 1m1 minute ago

If this is Rez VR then fucking whaaaaat holy shit god damn fuck wow wow w wowowowowowowowowowowwoowowowowowowowowoowowoowowoow
0 retweets 0 likes

The more PSVR stuff Sony shows, the more it's looking like VR Jr. I hope people won't be put off because they only see the limited capabilities of VR on PS4.

repeater

The more PSVR stuff Sony shows, the more it's looking like VR Jr. I hope people won't be put off because they only see the limited capabilities of VR on PS4.
It'll also likely be Junior priced in comparison with the Senior PC options, so I figure it'll be a pretty good way to segment the VR market.

Anth0ny

Jeff Gerstmann ‏@jeffgerstmann 1m1 minute ago

If this is Rez VR then fucking whaaaaat holy shit god damn fuck wow wow w wowowowowowowowowowowwoowowowowowowowowoowowoowowoow
0 retweets 0 likes

wow look at these game journalists they always get so excited for this shit

TraBuch

Banned
Did they seriously close with a MOBA? Legit shocked God of War or Bend's new IP wasn't there. Also surprised they didn't even mention the PS2 thing.

Also, the fuck was up with Layden coming out with a Crash Bandicoot t-shirt? First that shit with Vib-Ribbon, now this.

It'll also likely be Junior priced in comparison with the Senior PC options, so I figure it'll be a pretty good way to segment the VR market.

It'll be interesting to see how it's priced and packaged. There's the headset, camera, and various demos are played with two Move controllers. Can't be too inexpensive.

repeater

That was lackluster
Considering Sony are now spreading their announcements out over E3, Paris Games Week and PSX, I thought it was pretty good. New exclusive Ni No Kuni, new Rez in VR, exclusive Psychonauts spinoff, FF7 Remake gameplay,
Destiny racing
.. I think that's pretty good.

Yes, but segment it in a bad way. Many peoples' first experience with VR may be PSVR, and I'm afraid their reactions to the paired-down visuals will be "this is what VR games look like?" and they'll write it off.

jaina

Destiny Racing is the closest we get to a new F-Zero or Wipeout.
In case you didn't know and own a Wii U: FAST Racing Neo releases on December 10th
3o85xz3oHyjXesz5fy.gif

Nioh was about the only thing that got my attention. VR games looked ok but graphics looked like a big downgrade from the pc stuff. It was expected, but it was still kind of surprising to see.

repeater

It'll be interesting to see how it's priced and packaged. There's the headset, camera, and various demos are played with two Move controllers. Can't be too inexpensive.
Yeah, we'll see. I guess it's now also looking pretty likely that they're using some kind of box for extra processing power? I'm sure it'll be pretty costly, but did you see those minimum specs for Elite Dangerous Horizons VR? That looked even costlier to me.
Yes, but segment it in a bad way. Many peoples' first experience with VR may be PSVR, and I'm afraid their reactions to the paired-down visuals will be "this is what VR games look like?" and they'll write it off.
I think those worries are exaggerated. Those of us who go for PSVR over the other options will be exactly those who are the least concerned about mindblowing graphics. Like, the PS4 is doing pretty well saleswise while underperforming heavily technically against even midrange PCs. Large segments of the market don't primarily care about that, I think PSVR will be fine for them/us.

Nioh was about the only thing that got my attention. VR games looked ok but graphics looked like a big downgrade from the pc stuff. It was expected, but it was still kind of surprising to see.

Yep, it was bound to happen. I've been saying for months to expect PSVR games to suddenly start to look much worse as Sony is forced to stop lying about the PS4 VR experience.

I think those worries are exaggerated. Those of us who go for PSVR over the other options will be exactly those who are the least concerned about mindblowing graphics. Like, the PS4 is doing pretty well saleswise while underperforming heavily technically against even midrange PCs. Large segments of the market don't primarily care about that, I think PSVR will be fine for them/us.

I hope you're right. I guess my concern is that people may expect the same level of fidelity they see in PS4 games which can't be achieved in VR, while PC games don't have to make those concessions (if you have the hardware to back it up, of course).

It's an overall great conference for me, excited for 5 - 6 games and they obviously announced more then that so it's pretty diverse, VR looked meh though however it's hard to judge by looking. Another thing is that Gio mentioned they snagged a game from the list yet they didn't even mention what it is, either it's Crash going to be announced at E3 or it was a Nino Kuni sequel. Loved seeing Jeff getting giddy over Tron and Rez, as soon as they came on I was like "I hope the cameras point at Jeff or something"

Nero18

Considering Sony are now spreading their announcements out over E3, Paris Games Week and PSX, I thought it was pretty good. New exclusive Ni No Kuni, new Rez in VR, exclusive Psychonauts spinoff, FF7 Remake gameplay,
Destiny racing

Nothing that made me anymore excited for next year.

TraBuch

Banned
It's an overall great conference for me, excited for 5 - 6 games and they obviously announced more then that so it's pretty diverse, VR looked meh though however it's hard to judge by looking. Another thing is that Gio mentioned they snagged a game from the list yet they didn't even mention what it is, either it's Crash going to be announced at E3 or it was a Nino Kuni sequel. Loved seeing Jeff getting giddy over Tron and Rez, as soon as they came on I was like "I hope the cameras point at Jeff or something"
Wasn't it Yakuza?

Joeku

Oh, I've been home for a couple hours and automatically assumed this would be on in the evening in North America and so I missed it. Welp, that's on me.

Curufinwe

Destiny racing

It was good. You'd have to have very limited tastes in videogames to not find any of today's announcements or footage exciting.

-first look at uncharted 4 gameplay
-first look at final fantasy 7 remake gameplay
-psychonauts vr game coming out for ps vr
-ubisoft's new game where you control an eagle is coming to vr
-robotic golf looks amazing and silly
-ni no kuni ii exclusive to ps4
-jobs simulator and zombie crazy taxi coming to vr
-new game paragon from epic
-king of fighters xiv
-street fighter v
-crash bandicoot t-shirt
-yakuza 0 coming
-adult swim games coming, one from double fine
-full throttle remastered on its way
-destiny pod racing (i think i checked out a little bit at this part)
-yakuza 5 out december 8
-ace combat vr
-rez infinite game of the show, coming to ps vr

repeater

I hope you're right. I guess my concern is that people may expect the same level of fidelity they see in PS4 games which can't be achieved in VR, while PC games don't have to make those concessions (if you have the hardware to back it up, of course).
Yeah, who knows, time will tell for sure. And it's not that far away now either way.

Nothing that made me anymore excited for next year.
Well there's no accounting for taste, I guess.
But when even Jeff "Jaded" Gerstmann is going crazy with excitement on Twitter, it might be time to start considering recalibrating your expectations? :p
EDIT:
It was good. You'd have to have very limited tastes in videogames to not find any of today's announcements or footage exciting.
Yeah. I forgot about that 2D Soulslike too, that looked pretty damn interesting as well.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I said it in the Synchtube but the FF7 stuff was actually exciting. They showed real footage and everything.

The conference was decent but spaced out too much and very badly orchestrated. The ending in particular was tragic.

Oh and that Team Ninja Dark Souls-Tenchu thing looked intriguing.

AngryMoth

I can't help but think all these vr companies are being overly ambitious expecting people to by dual motion controllers on top of an already pricey headset. I feel like it's a much easier sell to developers and consumer if you focus first on games with a traditional controller.

But then again I've never actually tried any of them so fucked if I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom