• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
The yo-kai monsters remind me of the familiars in ni no kuni, especially this guy

FNauuvW.gif

I want this game

mintyice

Ugh I wish yo-kai watch had a better battle system then I'd totally get it. I like everything else about it except the part where you have to play it.

Fallout 4 is significantly less fun when the game has glitched you into invulnerablity. I haven't seen any other reports of this online, which only makes it weirder.

Ugh I wish yo-kai watch had a better battle system then I'd totally get it. I like everything else about it except the part where you have to play it.

It's the capturing yo-kai part that bothers me. If I see a rad pokemon I want to throw a ball at it. With yo-kai I have to hope that the piece of food I threw was the one it wanted, and if it wasn't the next time I fight one I have to try a different piece of food until I get it right. That seems infuriating and like i'd just end up googling the right food for each yo-kai. I can't go hang out on playgrounds to share tips with kids like they suggested is the intent in the QL.

Fun fact: I currently possess a copy of Fallout 4. I was massively looking forward to it, and I fucking LOVED Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim, etc. The jank has never bothered me, and Mass Effect 1 on 360 is my favorite game ever, so clearly I have zero problem with shit framerate.

The tone of discussion on Fallout 4 has meant that I have not yet bothered to play the game, and I'm increasingly feeling like I don't want to play it, even though I'm fairly certain I would love the game.

That is all.

You should really play fallout 4, it's alotta fun.

Anjin M

It's the capturing yo-kai part that bothers me. If I see a rad pokemon I want to throw a ball at it. With yo-kai I have to hope that the piece of food I threw was the one it wanted, and if it wasn't the next time I fight one I have to try a different piece of food until I get it right. That seems infuriating and like i'd just end up googling the right food for each yo-kai. I can't go hang out on playgrounds to share tips with kids like they suggested is the intent in the QL.

Maybe you can't. All the kids know me as cool uncle Anjin.

Fallout 4 is really good and still worth playing (at least on PC) despite the drops.

Even on PS4 the drops are few and far, it's been a really solid experience for the console so far(I've clocked in around 10 hours so far). I can't speak for teh end game moments Jeff talked about with the big battles though. But the outside stuff and some inside stuff I've seen has been solid.

Yeah, Fallout 4 jank is fucking stupid. Bethesda games shouldn't get a pass on the fps or glitches. It's hilariously if a skeleton is wigging out, but when your companion gets lost, and you're trying to get them to follow you down an elevator, that isn't fun...

Patryn

Yeah, Fallout 4 jank is fucking stupid. Bethesda games shouldn't get a pass on the fps or glitches. It's hilariously if a skeleton is wigging out, but when your companion gets lost, and you're trying to get them to follow you down an elevator, that isn't fun...

I think it's clear that Giant Bomb at least is not giving them a pass.

Frankly, based on the tone of the conversation on the Bombcast, I'm almost surprised Jeff didn't give it a 2/5 on the console.

I think it's clear that Giant Bomb at least is not giving them a pass.

Frankly, based on the tone of the conversation on the Bombcast, I'm almost surprised Jeff didn't give it a 2/5 on the console.

Considering he went in harder on Destiny but still gave that a 3/5, it's not really that surprising.

He still liked the game, but he's lost tolerance for a lot of Bethesda bs since their last outing with Skyrim.

Xater

People would have their pitchforks ready for any other developer. I honestly can't believe people still put up with it especially considering this has been worse than any of their previous games for me.

Any word on them live streaming the Nintendo Direct?

No way. They don't even seem to watch the things themselves most of the time.

But for some reason I really feel like staying up to watch it myself. It starts at midnight here and I'm planning to get up at like 7, and it's not like there's going to be anything big announced. I don't know what's gone into me.

killroy87

Bombcast pretty much confirmed Fallout won't be giving anything a huge run come GOTY time. Brad hasn't delved deep enough in yet, but Dan wasn't heaping enough praise (though he did say he loved it) to make up for the fact that they all seem to think it's too same-y.

klonere

Banned
Fallout 4 should be bumped off the top 10 for the same reason Mario Galaxy 2 was.

The unceremonious tossing aside of Galaxy 2 was incredible, literally a 2 minute back and forth with Alex on Skype "It's amazing!" "Yeah but you know, its just another one of those, you know?" "My life for Jazzpunk".

tuxfool

Banned
People would have their pitchforks ready for any other developer. I honestly can't believe people still put up with it especially considering this has been worse than any of their previous games for me.

You know that saying about boiling a frog...

mintyice

Fallout 4 is really good and still worth playing (at least on PC) despite the drops.

I messed with my settings last night and applied that .ini tweak and I get 50-60 FPS on a 760 with a mix of Ultra and high, medium for shadows, and low for godrays. Before the ini tweak i was all over the place from 30 to 60.

mintyice

What's the ini tweak?

Thanks, will look into it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3sdyu7/the_old_ini_tweaks_still_work/

also lower you shadows to medium. FO4 has some dumb problem where it renders all shadows in a given area whether or not you can see them. For example it will render shadows for buildings behind other buildings. This is problematic in cities where it's crammed full of stuff and the game is essentially trying to render shadows for everything in that area.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've been having some weird problem in F fallout 4 where the character shadows are ultra pixelated and aliased. Anyone know what the problem is?

I bet the Beastcast will be recorded before the direct. There's not going to be any mind-bending things announced there that they'd feel the need to record late just to cover.

also lower you shadows to medium. FO4 has some dumb problem where it renders all shadows in a given area whether or not you can see them. For example it will render shadows for buildings behind other buildings. This is problematic in cities where it's crammed full of stuff and the game is essentially trying to render shadows for everything in that area.

I'm gonna have to give that ini tweak a shot. for some reason the game abuses the fuck out of my HD trying to load... something. If I go into that ini and see that the buffer is some hilariously low number, I swear...

mofo, I've got 16gb of good ram, how about using some of that instead of loading everything on demand from my physical drive?

mintyice

I'm gonna have to give that ini tweak a shot. for some reason the game abuses the fuck out of my HD trying to load... something. If I go into that ini and see that the buffer is some hilariously low number, I swear...

mofo, I've got 16gb of good ram, how about using some of that instead of loading everything on demand from my physical drive?

SSD mustard rice

Gestahl

The settlement building in F4 was an interesting diversion until I rammed the size cap despite having barely touched half of Sanctuary. :/

AcridMeat

Banned

Thanks for this, should help quite a bit.

Did it? I've only done .ini tweaks a couple times so in terms of experimenting with settings I'm not too sure what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom