• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I love their group dynamic, do they go way back or is it just all of them being in the industry for such a long time?
Alex, Jeff, Brad, Rorie and Vinny go way back. Dan and Jason too, they came last year from Gameinformer. Austin is new to the group.

Curufinwe

I finished the Bloodborne DLC last night and finally went back and watched the QL. I wonder if Brad's aversion to summoning is why he hasn't beat the final two bosses. I'm also on NG+ and could not have beaten them without a co-op buddy.

do you think the aversion to summoning (not just with Brad, but everyone) is something that's imposed by the games themselves or the social sides to the games?

The games do a good job of making you feel alone and hopeless, but is that more of a factor than worrying that you're not doing it "legit" in the eyes of other people?

I've never summoned (though I tried and failed in BB), but even I don't know why not, even in the face of frustration.

demidar

I feel like summoning ruins the challenge of the bosses. They aren't very fearsome anymore because even if their stats are buffed, their AI is not designed to handle more than 1 player, becoming pushovers and falling to the dumbest of strategies. By trivializing the bosses, they feel more like a tourist checklist box rather than a reasonable challenge that imprints upon the memory (since they're one and done rather than having to mull over how to take them on).

tchocky

do you think the aversion to summoning (not just with Brad, but everyone) is something that's imposed by the games themselves or the social sides to the games?

The games do a good job of making you feel alone and hopeless, but is that more of a factor than worrying that you're not doing it "legit" in the eyes of other people?

I've never summoned (though I tried and failed in BB), but even I don't know why not, even in the face of frustration.

It's weird I have no problem with playing games on easy when I struggle but when I played Dark Souls I never summoned no matter how many times I died on a boss.

Curufinwe

It's more satisfying to solo a boss but summoning is part of the game, so I feel zero shame about getting help. Especially for Ludwig and Laurence.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think they always wanted you to summon and that's why they made it easier throughout the games.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I finished the Bloodborne DLC last night and finally went back and watched the QL. I wonder if Brad's aversion to summoning is why he hasn't beat the final two bosses. I'm also on NG+ and could not have beaten them without a co-op buddy.

I just haven't had time to get back to it with everything else going on, so I haven't even seen those guys yet. Got into the fishing village before I stopped and I think lit the first lantern in there?

I feel like summoning ruins the challenge of the bosses. They aren't very fearsome anymore because even if their stats are buffed, their AI is not designed to handle more than 1 player, becoming pushovers and falling to the dumbest of strategies. By trivializing the bosses, they feel more like a tourist checklist box rather than a reasonable challenge that imprints upon the memory (since they're one and done rather than having to mull over how to take them on).

Yeah, exactly. I'd never ever begrudge someone summoning or tell them they're PLAYING IT WRONG or whatever, but for me the vast majority of Souls bosses become pretty trivial when they have a second target who's tanking their attacks while you slice them up from the sidelines. Just not personally satisfying for me to fight them that way.

I prefer not to summon even if I'm really struggling with a boss. The sense of achievement when you finally overcome the enemy is worth it.

I wouldn't mind being the summonee and helping someone else out, but I've never really engaged with that side of From's games.

huh, then I think it's more interesting that it seems to compel people of their own will to not take the easy way out.

there aren't many games where I feel like the game itself does an adequate job of making the player want to push through things the hard way when a lot of the time our nature would compel us to find ways to lighten difficulty.

the Halo games at their best did the same to me. I rarely play games at higher difficulties but I did Legendary solo on all the games through Reach.

BearPawB

Banned
For me, the bosses are almost always the worst parts of a souls game.
I much prefer the environmental wandering/dodging traps/killing enemies.
So when I get to a boss I prefer it just ends quick, so I can get to the next part I like.

The bosses are almost always amazing to look at, but they are rarely fun to fight.

klonere

Banned

Oh yes

Wz6AbGs.gif

I'm getting some major Souls game fatigue. I got into the series with Dark Souls when Vinny started his video series and adored it, played a lot of Dark Souls II but didn't quite appreciate is as much, picked up a PS4 just in time for Bloodborne and had a blast for awhile until my interest started to peter out halfway through, haven't picked up the DLC, and am just not feeling anything about Dark Souls III. I think playing three of those games over the last two years brought me to my saturation point.

BearPawB

Banned
I'm getting some major Souls game fatigue. I got into the series with Dark Souls when Vinny started his video series and adored it, played a lot of Dark Souls II but didn't quite appreciate is as much, picked up a PS4 just in time for Bloodborne and had a blast for awhile until my interest started to peter out halfway through, haven't picked up the DLC, and am just not feeling anything about Dark Souls III. I think playing three of those games over the last two years brought me to my saturation point.

Dark Souls is maybe my favorite game of all time.
Every inch of that world is etched into my memory.

I would be perfectly happy if Dark Souls 3 was delayed a year.

Im still not fatigued on souls, started a new character on bloodborne for a third playthrough and im having a blast trying out this new build, getting my ass kicked in the dlc though cant make it past the first boss even with the npc helper, maybe i need to power level some extra vitality

huh, then I think it's more interesting that it seems to compel people of their own will to not take the easy way out.

there aren't many games where I feel like the game itself does an adequate job of making the player want to push through things the hard way when a lot of the time our nature would compel us to find ways to lighten difficulty.

the Halo games at their best did the same to me. I rarely play games at higher difficulties but I did Legendary solo on all the games through Reach.

I think that it's because the difficulty is a big part of the souls games so anything you might do to skew the odds in your favour and make the game easier often feels like you're going against the intent of the game.

Strax

Wii U getting ads for the first time here in Iceland.

"voted best video game console by Forbes in 2015"

Also whats the rarest Amiibo, they seem to have a big stock of those here.

demidar

I think that it's because the difficulty is a big part of the souls games so anything you might do to skew the odds in your favour and make the game easier often feels like you're going against the intent of the game.

I don't think the Souls games are very hard, but actually facing a boss head on gives them a sort of identity through their fighting style, you know? Like having Artorias on your ass the entire time gives the fight a lot of wild tension, which is different than the panic of infinitely respawning bonemen and Nito stabbing at up your from out of nowhere, which is different from the suffocating tension of O&S slowly bearing down and flanking you, which is different from the melancholy of fighting Sif and seeing his attacks slow and he gets more injured (T_T).

You wouldn't get that if you were sitting back while your friends whale on the boss.

kiguel182

Watching an old UPF and apparently handball is not a thing in the US. So weird/cool to find this stuff.

We learn how to play it in gym class here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom