• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite my nervousness about certain aspects of the game, I ended up picking this up yesterday.

I'll join if there's no separate EU region

Did some digging and it sounds like squads aren't permanent so if people in this thread wanted to group up for some MP stuff then this would basically just be done by exchanging your Nintendo ID and then selecting friends' squads when you're given the option to select a squad,

Yeah no I'm not at all surprised Jeff doesn't like it, but as a result of that and him not having played it a lot he doesn't really have anything meaningful to critique about the actual game so he totally overblows the Booster stuff when it isn't at all a big deal. If you play without paying a cent in-game you'll never feel like you're actually being held back unless you want to unlock ugly-ass gun skins (I personally could not care less about them)

I haven't played it yet but Jeff's critique still gave off a strong "played for 20 minutes, died a bunch, FUCK THIS GAME" vibe. I kind of wish he'd given it some more time before going so hard so soon.

Joeku

I was quite amazed that the Remake is that far along in development: gameplay, environments, the fact that they are already thinking about english dialogue and possible actors. Square is operating like a company that actually wants to put out games again, I like it! I'm getting hyped for 7:R, I like what I see.

Look, I don't want to be painted as Mr. Cyncical, because what is there I do genuinely think looks like it could be super good, but that whole video felt like someone cut together a half-target render proof of concept from a year ago of the first hour and made a trailer out of it. The clearly temp VA, the sole focus on the first hour of the game as if it's typical of the whole game, the weirdly direct adherence to the first game's script...it's like a fanboy-oriented video mostly saying "look, that thing you loved as a kid but made prettier exists" and not "look at this cool game".

Like, it doesn't take away from what I hope this game could be in 2020 when it actually comes out, but something about this trailer still weirds me out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Then again, if it's really going to be a 2020 that's probably the only footage they can put together with the assets they have.

Mechazawa

Heck, leveling up has almost no meaning to it since it's there only for you to reach level 20 and it'll unlock ranked multiplayer for you instead of casual only. Otherwise it's there for you to reach 50 and unlock that trophy/achievement.

Jeff not talking about what the hell the ranks actually contributed to suddenly makes a whole lot more sense.

Joeku

Then again, if it's really going to be a 2020 that's probably the only footage they can put together with the assets they have.

Yeah, that's my assumption: the game is super far off, and they went mostly-final on a really small part of the game: the very beginning. That suggests proof of concept to me.

Finally had a chance to go back and listen to the Giantbomb presents podcasts a lot of really great conversations they're learning about the history of rogue lights them talking with Aaron Greenberg and talking with Steve gator about Tacoma I'm gonna make sure to listen to these whenever they come out from now on Austin's a really great interviewer

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm just kind of blown away FFXV still isn't out at this point. While they still have that and KH 3 in the works. And then there's that Setsuna thing as well.

So almost every Lucas Arts adventure game has gotten a remastered version except Curse of Monkey Island.

Boooooo

My vague understanding is that it's in this weird inbetween era where it'd be harder to remaster. Something like Grim has prerendered backgrounds that still look alright today and 3d models and lighting that could be touched up, and then DOTT and Full Throttle have blocky pixel art that can be smoothed out. Curse has pretty pretty complex/detailed art drawn in 640x480 and it'd require pretty much redrawing everything to get it in 1080... or something? Unless it's a situation where everything originated with full drawings that might be archived somewhere that were then digitized and shrunk down, and the original art could just be rescanned?

Regardless, I'd love Curse HD. I'm on Team Gilbert but Curse was a lot of fun. Those clouds...

Strax

Does it need one? It already looks great and has full voice acting. Unless they fleshed out the final part a bit more.

It does still look great. I just want a HD version.

My vague understanding is that it's in this weird inbetween era where it'd be harder to remaster. Something like Grim has prerendered backgrounds that still look alright today and 3d models and lighting that could be touched up, and then DOTT and Full Throttle have blocky pixel art that can be smoothed out. Curse has pretty pretty complex/detailed art drawn in 640x480 and it'd require pretty much redrawing everything to get it in 1080... or something? Unless it's a situation where everything originated with full drawings that might be archived somewhere that were then digitized and shrunk down, and the original art could just be rescanned?

Regardless, I'd love Curse HD. I'm on Team Gilbert but Curse was a lot of fun. Those clouds...

Surely the art was shunk down. I hope.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, that's my assumption: the game is super far off, and they went mostly-final on a really small part of the game: the very beginning. That suggests proof of concept to me.

Still can't believe that they announced a 2020 game. You can feel your life tick down into a meaningless void while waiting for it.

Joeku

No, no, they never explicitly said that. But between SE's recent track record and that CG-ass reveal video after which Nomura said "Oh, I'm directing that? Well, OK," while he's still working on KH3, it's pretty clear.

As I understand it CyberConnect2 is helping with the FFVII Remake. That's the dev behind Naruto, Jojo, .hack, Naruto, and Naruto games. Could be conjecture from fans.

As I understand it CyberConnect2 is helping with the FFVII Remake. That's the dev behind Naruto, Jojo, .hack, Naruto, and Naruto games. Could be conjecture from fans.

I think that rumor came out from the FF7R site having CyberConnect listed somewhere.

It would make sense how they can have 3 fucking huge titles being worked on at the same time.

Joeku

I mean...I'd fucking love that cuz Asura's Wrath is one of the best things about the last generation, but I don't think most people would. If FF7R was a bunch of Advent Children QTE fights in between dialogue and world exploration that would be great for me! I doubt it though.

danm999

So almost every Lucas Arts adventure game has gotten a remastered version except Curse of Monkey Island.

Boooooo

Yikes that game is almost 18 years old.

Yeah I suppose they'll get round to it at some point. They can skip Escape from Monkey Island though.

Curufinwe

Look, I don't want to be painted as Mr. Cyncical, because what is there I do genuinely think looks like it could be super good, but that whole video felt like someone cut together a half-target render proof of concept from a year ago of the first hour and made a trailer out of it. The clearly temp VA, the sole focus on the first hour of the game as if it's typical of the whole game, the weirdly direct adherence to the first game's script...it's like a fanboy-oriented video mostly saying "look, that thing you loved as a kid but made prettier exists" and not "look at this cool game".

Like, it doesn't take away from what I hope this game could be in 2020 when it actually comes out, but something about this trailer still weirds me out.

2020 lol.

I think it'll be out by the end of 2017.

Antiwhippy

It'll be close to completion in 2017.

Then square enix will scrap most of it replace the director and team so the game will only be complete in 2020.

yami4ct

Did some digging and it sounds like squads aren't permanent so if people in this thread wanted to group up for some MP stuff then this would basically just be done by exchanging your Nintendo ID and then selecting friends' squads when you're given the option to select a squad,

I thought 32 person squads were permanent. Huh. That's a weird system.

Anyone, my NNID is yami4ct so anyone who wants to add me feel free.

Dineren

Banned
I thought 32 person squads were permanent. Huh. That's a weird system.

Anyone, my NNID is yami4ct so anyone who wants to add me feel free.

I haven't played in a squad with anyone on my friend's list, but every time you launch the game it gives you the option to change your squad and you can change it at any time while playing so I doubt it is different for friend squads.

The multiplayer system is very weird, with a lot of spam by default, but I'm having a blast with the rest of the game.

The way those combat clips were running at like 20FPS makes me think they just plopped some assets into the FFXV engine and cobbled enough together for a trailer.

I know that's how pretty much all early trailers work but this one in particular seems like some Spaceworld 2000 Zelda type shit. Still further along than I expected tbh.

Joeku

2020 lol.

I think it'll be out by the end of 2017.

Then you're fooling yourself. Otherwise, I'll find a hat I own and fucking eat it. Find this post if it comes before 2018.

The way those combat clips were running at like 20FPS makes me think they just plopped some assets into the FFXV engine and cobbled enough together for a trailer.

I know that's how pretty much all early trailers work but this one in particular seems like some Spaceworld 2000 Zelda type shit. Still further along than I expected tbh.

This is along the lines I'm thinking. I genuinely didn't think they even had test footage, so that's reassuring and why I have hope for it.

danm999

wario64 said on twitter that danganronpa is coming to steam??

Wow I've actually thought Dragon Grandpa sounded interesting so if it comes to a convenient platform I'd totally play it.

Edit; oh shit it's from the Steam help desk leaks, as is Daganronpa 2. Apparently FF-X and FFX-2 are coming as well. Jeff will be delighted.

Japan sure is getting serious about the PC huh.

yami4ct

That Steam leak seems pretty huge in general.

Danganronpa on Steam makes total sense. VN style games have been doing really well there, relatively. I still prefer playing VNs on a handheld, but happy more people get to see it.

Probably, a bunch of titles leaked from the steam databases, here's the list from the thread.

• Everybody's gone to the rapture
  • Journey
  • Criminal Girls
  • Danganronpa 1 + 2
  • Steins;Gate
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
  • Earth Defense Force 4.1
  • Stranger of Sword City
  • Bad Rats Show
  • Half Life 3
  • Hellblade
  • Space Pirates VR
  • Arslan Musou
  • Phantom Brave
  • Ray Gigant
  • Code of Princess
  • Xblaze: Code Embryo
  • FF VI

yami4ct

Wow I've actually thought Dragon Grandpa sounded interesting so if it comes to a convenient platform I'd totally play it.

Edit; oh shit it's from the Steam help desk leaks, as is Daganronpa 2. Apparently FF-X and FFX-2 are coming as well. Jeff will be delighted.

Japan sure is getting serious about the PC huh.

It makes sense. With as large of an audience Steam has, niche games can get enough sales to do well for themselves. Add to that that a lot of these games aren't resource intensive, so they can run on a lot of computers. Ports are getting easier as anything that's already come to the modern consoles is ready built for PC.

danm999

It's good from a preservationist angle. Once stuff is on PC it makes it less likely to be locked up or lost on old systems.

jaina

Vita is pretty convenient for DG / VNs in general (if you own one). PC releases are still very appreciated.

I haven't even unlocked squad stuff in XCX yet, will report back in a bit.

Volotaire

Probably, a bunch of titles leaked from the steam databases, here's the list from the thread.

• Everybody's gone to the rapture
  • Journey
  • Criminal Girls
  • Danganronpa 1 + 2
  • Steins;Gate
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
  • Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-
  • Earth Defense Force 4.1
  • Stranger of Sword City
  • Bad Rats Show
  • Half Life 3
  • Hellblade