• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
A prolific black voice actor...

Phil LaMarr is black right? Though he's definitely not as prolific as the likes of Troy Baker/Laura Bailey.

Yup. Luckily he's also in movies and what not, so he doesn't need to rely on just games(But I haven't seen him in any movies recently..)

shocker, a thread about race is an account graveyard

A prolific black voice actor...

Phil LaMarr is black right? Though he's definitely not as prolific as the likes of Troy Baker/Laura Bailey.

a sad amount of people are overlooking one of my favorite voice actors of all time, Keith David

but yeah nowhere near Bailey/Baker status

a sad amount of people are overlooking one of my favorite voice actors of all time, Keith David

I'm a fan of Beau Billingslea. Dude was everywhere during the anime boom. Also, he was in an episode of MacGyver. He's Barret in the new FFVII, apparently, so that's neat.

demidar

I don't really associate Keith David with video games, but despite that he still slipped my mind.

Speaking of, I wish Troy Baker went back to doing anime roles. I loved his work as Yuri in Vesperia, but he's probably too expensive nowadays since he got star power.

Strax

This is the first time I've ever thought of the race of VO actors and to me thats a bad sign. Animation/Video game are the ultimate color/race doesn't matter because a VO doesn't have any color. There is no "we can't hire X because Z demo won't buy it"

Gurrry

im sitting here watching dan eat all this taco bell and I swear hes throwing the food on the ground after he takes a bite

this man is a monster

and i love it

This is the first time I've ever thought of the race of VO actors and to me thats a bad sign. Animation/Video game are the ultimate color/race doesn't matter because a VO doesn't have any color. There is no "we can't hire X because Z demo won't buy it"

the whole point here being that this exact thought process is part of what causes under-represented demographics to continue to be under-represented.

there's nothing inherently wrong with hiring someone to do VA for a different race/gender than their own, except that it makes it super easy to just call the same 4-5 people (the rolodex thing austin's talking about) all the time instead of, you know, letting an actual PoC portray a PoC in a big-budget, wide-reaching title

I'm wheezing after laughing super hard at this, fuck

Red UFO

I thought something must have been up with that remake, all I could think when watching that trailer was "good lord this is going to be expensive"

now we know

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah. Quoting myself.

I find it funny how SE has been explaining it for years and years, that FF7 remake would not be feasible financially. If this was true for the PS3 days then it is even more true today.

Did people magically think that somehow they'd manage to make this on the cheap or on the quick?

santeesioux

Am I a weirdo because when I see a story like that on say, Gamefaqs for example I immediately come here to find the thread that will surely be full of outrage?

demidar

I thought something must have been up with that remake, all I could think when watching that trailer was "good lord this is going to be expensive"

now we know

It makes sense now. There's no way they have the money and manpower to make both FF7:Re AND FF15.

Joeku

andthereitis.gif

The form this is going to take is going to be...intersting, as Austin would say.

the whole point here being that this exact thought process is part of what causes under-represented demographics to continue to be under-represented.

there's nothing inherently wrong with hiring someone to do VA for a different race/gender than their own, except that it makes it super easy to just call the same 4-5 people (the rolodex thing austin's talking about) all the time instead of, you know, letting an actual PoC portray a PoC in a big-budget, wide-reaching title

It's also a uniquely video game problem to have an actor cast, a bunch of scenes preformed in both mocap and audio, and then decide on a look (race included) for a character. That is breaking new ground and there's a lot of room discussion and exploration of that idea.

I'd fucking love for the key video game players to be larger than a pool of a dozen or so too, though. Cuz Christ. For a lot of them I can't not hear the performer instead of the character and it pulls me out of the experience.

i'm still dying over here

we all knew this remake was going to piss people off

we all underestimated the fact that it was actually going to be a middle finger so big it scrapes the moon

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I imagine the people who were complaining about the combat being too action-y wish that was now the games biggest issue.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
it's always been the last couple days of the year

Huh I would almost swear that's not true, just because I thought I listened to last years Day 5 podcast at my Uncles house and I know I was back home in time for New Years.

I guess looking it up though it was December 30th, drat

i'm still dying over here

we all knew this remake was going to piss people off

we all underestimated the fact that it was actually going to be a middle finger so big it scrapes the moon
I'm personally really looking forward to a photorealistic Cait Sith and lipsynced Nanaki now.

And all the horrible story changes.

Courtesy of Alfredo (from the FF7R episodic thread):
I made some really dumb gifs

tumblr_nyxkkxUmX11r96fbco8_400.gif

tumblr_nyxkkxUmX11r96fbco6_400.gif

tumblr_nyxkkxUmX11r96fbco5_400.gif

tumblr_nyxkkxUmX11r96fbco4_400.gif
I'm scared.

kvk1

i'm so happy 8 was my first FF, and as a result my favorite FF

if i was a 7'er this roller coaster ride of emotions would have been too much

Status