• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

dude was straight up in a video game lol

I have played Mass Effect and Saint's Row you know, but I wouldn't say his association to video games is stronger than other known voice actors, which was my main point. I know he does a lot of other non-video game stuff.

i'm so happy 8 was my first FF, and as a result my favorite FF

if i was a 7'er this roller coaster ride of emotions would have been too much

I still never got my FF6 PSP anniversary remake when FF1+2+4 got theirs, so I'm sitting here laughing at FF7 fans being miserable after all the attention they got for the last 15+ years.

There are people in that thread who think it will be like a Telltale game just because it's episodic. Jesus Christ.

Here's what's going to happen: they break FFVII into three or four biggish chunks so they can charge you way more than $60 for the whole thing. See also: Ground Zeroes, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, .hack, The Hobbit, etc.

That FF thread makes me laugh, I don't think it'll be that bad because it reminds me of anime films that are made in parts with different artists ala Gotham Knight. So, It's certainly an interesting take.

I wonder where the people who said why the G I A N T B O M B B O Y Z weren't excited for this announcement.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
i'm so happy 8 was my first FF, and as a result my favorite FF

if i was a 7'er this roller coaster ride of emotions would have been too much

I used to really want a FF7 remake myself, but after seeing this news and noticing my lack of care about it, I think all I wanted was the internet exploding with hype at FF7 remake announcement, and not the actual game itself.

Joeku

It's been years since I played it last so I don't remember how seamless that stuff was.

IIRC everything was on every disc except videos and they were labelled in sequence unique to each disc. Effectively, that meant you could hack or glitch your way into play disc 3 stuff on disc 1, disc 1 on disc 2 or whatever, and the wrong FMVs would play when you got to one. That's about it.

Could be totally wrong here.

Disc 3 is largely the end of the game, I don't think that's necessarily a good breakpoint.

I think you could potentially expand all the Midgar stuff and make that its own part, then make part two end where disc two would normally start
Aeris's death.
, which would make part 3 a more appropriate size (assuming there would be 3 parts).

Edit - Expanding Midgar may also be a good idea since you wouldn't have to worry about the overworld yet, since I imagine getting that right could be a potentially big undertaking.

The other options is that they remake the game to be super linear such that backtracking isn't really a thing.

I've never played FFVII so I don't know if that's actually viable, but that is the next best "piss off everyone who loves FFVII" thing that they could do.

Megasoum

Banned
Booting Tales from the Borderlands for the first time....

I know that Telltale are known to be a terrible studio tech wise but come on... I hate it when PC games default to stupidly low resolutions (1024X768 in this case)...

I use a bunch of floating windows on multiple monitors so changing resolution like that always screws up my windows.

It's really fucking easy to figure out what's the desktop resolution and then match it automatically.

Sorry... I had to say it... Pet peeve of mine.

hamchan

It's only worrying because everyone knows this FFVII episodic remake will be more than $60 altogether and we don't know if they'll skip over parts of the original game in between episodes.

It's probably the right business move for them since they saw idiots like me still buying a PC port of FFVII on PS4 despite owning multiple copies of the game on every platform it's available on.

Speaking of episodic games I played the first ep of Tales From the Borderlands after all the glowing praise in here. Yep, that game is now my favourite thing to ever come out from both the Borderlands franchise and from Telltale. It's so good.

Joeku

Not one for no-comment gif posting but based on the current discussion...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151993

9UiL1se.gif

Speaking of episodic games I played the first ep of Tales From the Borderlands after all the glowing praise in here. Yep, that game is now my favourite thing to ever come out from both the Borderlands franchise and from Telltale. It's so good.

First episode ain't shit. Keep going and you'll see the real deal. There's a reason people call this the best thing Telltale's done since season 1 of The Walking Dead, if not the best thing they've ever done.

Lelcar

The FFVII stuff can be good if 1) It's a short number of parts, like three parts, and not like ten part series, that's too much. 2) All data seamlessly carries over as easy as you would changing an actual disc. It cannot be like starting a brand new game each time.

Megasoum

Banned
Hmmm... Anybody is having issues with the Loader bot controls in Tales on PC?

I'm in the first fight near the beginning of the game and the RT stuff just doesn't work. Seems like sometime I actually need to hit RB instead but it doesn't always work...

Using an XB1 controller with the wireless dongle.

Bowlie

Banned
I wonder if I should wait for FF7 Remake to be my first time to play FF7. It would be a long wait haha.

I tried playing 3 times already, but never got out of Midgar. Everything was so slow that it bored me and I dropped it every single time after ~1 hour. I'll wait for the remake too.

Scizzy

Weirdly, I took a risk and bought Tales from the Borderlands on my ipad last week even though I was sure it would be a nightmare. And it ran great! It was smoother than all the Telltale games I've played on PC, 360, and PS4.

Joeku

Hmmm... Anybody is having issues with the Loader bot controls in Tales on PC?

I'm in the first fight near the beginning of the game and the RT stuff just doesn't work. Seems like sometime I actually need to hit RB instead but it doesn't always work...

Using an XB1 controller with the wireless dongle.

I played with an XB1 controller and had to use LT for all the RT prompts. It's weird.

I bought episode 2-5 on Black Friday but haven't got around to it. It reminds me alot of Edger Wright films that's why it's fantastic.

From the comments:

2803363-jeffmatrix.jpg

200x200px-ZC-8b43905e_Charlie-Murphy-Laughing-Chappelles-Show-Prince.gif

Alfredo

Probably the same way it worked when games were split across discs: lots of data and assets repeated across discs.

That's a bit different though. Once you got to the end of a disc, you could just pop in the next one and keep playing.

With episodic releases, you reach the end of an episode, and then what? Do they just block off an area and say, "Now you're in free roam mode! Feel free to go back and do side quests that you missed!" and then exhaust all that content and wait another year until the next episode comes so you can chase Sephiroth a little bit more before the next road block? And what about when the story originally took you to older locations to advance the story. Do you block off those locations during "free roam" until the next episode is out?

All the episodic games I've played just end the game at the end of an episode and the only way to go back would be to reload an old save or do a chapter select. I don't think that would work in an RPG.

Making a big RPG like FF7 episodic seems like a really weird thing to do. They're going to have to frame the episodes really carefully. What I fear most is that they'll just make the game super linear (more linear than the game originally was) to solve that problem.

I'm disappointed with this "multi-part series" news, but I also am curious to see how they even pull it off. So many questions in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom