• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

With episodic releases, you reach the end of an episode, and then what? Do they just block off an area and say, "Now you're in free roam mode! Feel free to go back and do side quests that you missed!" and then exhaust all that content and wait another year until the next episode comes so you can chase Sephiroth a little bit more before the next road block? And what about when the story originally took you to older locations to advance the story. Do you block off those locations during "free roam" until the next episode is out?

This is more what I was getting at but I didn't have the confidence to articulate since I can't really remember a whole bunch about playing the game and switching disks.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What if ff7r is a multi part deconstruction on remakes and revisiting nostalgia, and with each episode it breaks down what it means to revisit an empty idealisation vs the rich memories only attainable at that specific time and place.

In one path you're playing cloud, but in the other path cloud becomes his own separate identity.

danm999

What if ff7r is a multi part deconstruction on remakes and revisiting nostalgia, and with each episode it breaks down what it means to revisit an empty idealisation vs the rich memories only attainable at that specific time and place.

In one path you're playing cloud, but in the other path cloud becomes his own separate identity.

So you're saying Square hired Kojima?

This post made me install Tales from the Borderlands.

1119.gif

Be sure to write your opinions here. Apparently it gets way better later on, I only played the first episode when it first released. It's been a long ass while but it is what it is.

They don't need to do that any more. Everything gets installed to the hard drive. Why would they need to repeat assets on different discs?

I meant parts, but I think each part will be available as a disc you buy at retail. So they can't assume you have data installed from a previous release. I'm not seeing this as download part 1 and every additional part acts as dlc. It'll be like 13, 13-2, and LR, but pre-planned as one coherent thing.

Megasoum

Banned
Except for the weird control issues I like what I'm seeing so far in Tales... I'm still early (I just started playing as Fiona)... I love that the who UI/Design changes when you switch character.

Did they say when the studio was expected to be put together? Might we see a dearth of GB West content until 2016 (GOTY casts notwithstanding)?

Bacon

Could Giantbomb's reaction to the FF7 announcement be any more vindicated right now? Remaining critical and skeptical at the right moments is why I love these guys so much.

StoveOven

Banned
Could Giantbomb's reaction to the FF7 announcement be any more vindicated right now? Remaining critical and skeptical at the right moments is why I love these guys so much.

To be fair, this isn't the reason they weren't excited at the announcement. It wasn't that they were worried that Square was going to ruin it, it was that they just didn't care about the game.

To be fair, this isn't the reason they weren't excited at the announcement. It wasn't that they were worried that Square was going to ruin it, it was that they just didn't care about the game.

Nah, they disliked the fact that it was just put in there to pull those 'heart strings'. To make people excited for no solid info. How many people do you think claimed the PS4 won that day with that and Shenmue 3? There's good reason to be bitter over emotional appeals like S3 and FF7R.

Bacon

They also brought up how modern square enix probably would never be able to meet what people wanted out of a FF7 remake

StoveOven

Banned
Nah, they disliked the fact that it was just put in there to pull those 'heart strings'. To make people excited for no solid info. How many people do you think claimed the PS4 won that day with that and Shenmue 3? There's good reason to be bitter over emotional appeals like S3 and FF7R.

I completely agree and either rolled my eyes or laughed at those two announcements (granted I don't have much connection to either series). I'm just saying that this isn't a game that would appeal to their sensibilities regardless of how well Square pulls it off.

That's beside the point I was trying to make, of course it is.

This remake is the worst part of hype culture from arguably the worst fanbase. Literally everything is either screaming facecam reactions or "they've ruined everything" and the (first?) game probably won't even be out for years. GB doesn't really care about FF7 to begin with and usually don't get obnoxiously hype/disappointed about every piece of news, which is something that's rare and I respect.

Not that I really care about the fans's feelings. I'll just wait till its done and its cheap to play it then. Square and Nomura make good action games, and I like what I saw from the trailer.

Teddified

I lost all interest in Hype culture lately. I've also started to become annoyed at the I told you so at the first hint of bad news. Some of the stuff and threads about AC Syndicate were pretty bad in hindsight.

I dunno how to explain it, I guess I just lost interest in Hype but also lost interest in people being "salty". Like every time I see someone say I hope -blank- is terrible or a certain way just to piss people off just makes me confused.

danm999

I think Fallout 4 is the game that broke my 'maybe I like Bethesda games' thought process.

I don't.

It would be easier to disagree with you if they weren't making the same core game as Fallout 3 and Skyrim, right down to identical console commands and animations, whilst not making significant improvements in their storytelling, dialogue or role-playing.

Oh man. There's a good chance it gets RT'd if Trump's social media people notice how many followers Dan has.

They'd find Dan's petition to have Obama come on UPF and never want anything to do with him :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It would be easier to disagree with you if they weren't making the same core game as Fallout 3 and Skyrim, right down to identical console commands and animations, whilst not making significant improvements in their storytelling, dialogue or role-playing.

I mean, Yakuza is arguably my favorite series of all time and they've been making the same core game for years, but they compel me with their world and characters. I just don't know that Bethesda knows how to make truly great worlds or tell a truly great story. They can make great characters but those characters only exist in pockets and they stick out like a sore thumb because of it. There's so many moments in Fallout 4 where I have a certain companion and it's just like 'Why aren't they saying something about this? Why isn't this town reacting to him/her like they should be?'

Being an open world where everything is lootable just isn't enough anymore for me when I find the setting so dull. Which is partially my own fault because I've never been a huge fan of apocalyptic settings, but obviously they can work for me(New Vegas). I thought an Ubisoft game had a way better living world than Falllout 4 in Syndicate, and I NEVER would have expected myself to say that.

danm999

I mean, Yakuza is arguably my favorite series of all time and they've been making the same core game for years, but they compel me with their world and characters. I just don't know that Bethesda knows how to make truly great worlds or tell a truly great story. They can make great characters but those characters only exist in pockets and they stick out like a sore thumb because of it. There's so many moments in Fallout 4 where I have a certain companion and it's just like 'Why aren't they saying something about this? Why isn't this town reacting to him/her like they should be?'

Being an open world where everything is lootable just isn't enough anymore for me when I find the setting so dull. Which is partially my own fault because I've never been a huge fan of apocalyptic settings, but obviously they can work for me(New Vegas). I thought an Ubisoft game had a way better living world than Falllout 4 in Syndicate, and I NEVER would have expected myself to say that.

It sounds like you want a role playing game and Bethesda is increasingly uninterested in providing you that. The trajectory of all their games has been trending away from those elements and towards bolting on additional game modes from other genres.

While it's true they were ambivalent for reasons totally irrelevant to predicting today's announcement, I'll give them credit and say they asked all the pertinent questions that explain this decision that anybody interested in the project should have been asking; how is this not going to be in development for years and years? What changes do you make to the game's structure? How do they create a commercially viable product without spending unrealistic development resources? How do you satisfy a fan base who clearly want one thing when you're only able to provide another?

They (specifically Jeff and Brad) reached the conclusion that something in this project sort of had to give along those lines and they were right.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Goddammit this FF7 news. I did not care about that project because of XIII and XV Square. Then they had to show some good looking stuff to get me back in. Just to destroy it all a day later. Like, I don't even like to wait a week for the next episode of a tv show, I usually wait till the season is done. But realistically this would be some time around 2020 or even later with this remake. You might as well tell me it's exclusively sold on Mars, it's that far off.

Oh, that's actually out pretty soon. cool cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom