• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time recently I've disagreed with Jeff has been with the Gears of War remake. I'm playing through it now and, if anything, it's surprising how well this campaign still holds up nearly a decade later. The remake looks really good too, given that I kinda came in expecting them to just boost the resolution and nothing more. They clearly put some working into it. Shame that it didn't register well with west coast jeff.

Guys, I'm sitting at work right now and all I want to do is go home and play Tales of the Borderlands...

it's GOTY material for sure. Too bad I dont get a sense that most of the crew have touched it at all. Man, that last episode was so good.

From what I've heard, it sounds like I would enjoy R6 Siege. I'm a bit concerned that by the time I get around to playing it everyone will have the maps "solved".

It's hard for the maps to be solved because the objectives are all randomized within the maps themselves or you'd get entirely new ones on the same maps as well that are also randomized. Destructibility and the other team having different, opposite characters to yours, there's too many random things that can happen so it's impossible for a map to be "solved".

What you may come across are teams who communicate and know what the fuck they're doing.

Guys, I'm sitting at work right now and all I want to do is go home and play Tales of the Borderlands...

nodding.gif~c200

I liked the Alex jeff drivlrs.

Well, you should have known this was a one time in a year type of thing. Solo mixlr is just Jeff listening to radio/music unless he's in traffic and only then, he'd read questions or comments.

Yeah I found Jeffs fear that maps could be solved really silly.

There are just too many potential tactics.
Even if maps are "solved" that doesn't make the game any less better. Counterstrike's maps have been solved for over a decade yet the gameplay is so solid that it continues to draw people to it. The maps just need to be good. I haven't played r6s so I can't comment on the quality of its content but on face value I don't agree with solved maps being an issue.

kvk1

You can't "solve" Siege maps in a traditional FPS sense. I like to think of it like Dota. There is a single map but there are so many different ways an objective can be taken that having mere map knowledge isn't enough to succeed.

Edit: There isn't a single map in Siege, obviously. Just realized what I wrote comes off that way.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Even if maps are "solved" that doesn't make the game any less better. Counterstrike's maps have been solved for over a decade yet the gameplay is so solid that it continues to draw people to it. The maps just need to be good. I haven't played r6s so I can't comment on the quality of its content but on face value I don't agree with solved maps being an issue.

Yeah it's a really ridiculous criticism that, again, speaks to how ill-informed Jeff is about this game and this type of game. Counter-Strike maps are sometimes literally a decade+ old and still popular, and those don't even have destructible environments! Every match plays out differently.

Add to that that Siege has 11 maps and every map has like half a dozen possible locations for the objective to be in and it makes absolutely no sense to be talking about maps being "Solved" based on playing a handful of matches. It really annoys me how incredibly ignorant that entire discussion was.

killroy87

I wonder if Nuclear Throne released last month, if it would have had a shot at any GOTY awards. There was a time when they were hyping it up quite a fair bit.

Yeah it's a really ridiculous criticism that, again, speaks to how ill-informed Jeff is about this game and this type of game. Counter-Strike maps are sometimes literally a decade+ old and still popular, and those don't even have destructible environments! Every match plays out differently.

Add to that that Siege has 11 maps and every map has like half a dozen possible locations for the objective to be in and it makes absolutely no sense to be talking about maps being "Solved" based on playing a handful of matches. It really annoys me how incredibly ignorant that entire discussion was.

To be fair, it isn't and won't be Jeff's type of game and again he didn't spend alot of time with it so, yeah. He wants the fast mobility and movement in a FPS game.

Aerocrane

He's totally off-base and I have literally no idea what he's talking about when he says the movement and shooting feel bad. The whole thing is just ill-informed.

You can't really say that Jeff is wrong when he says that he thinks the movement and shooting feel bad. I mean, you're not saying that he's wrong, but that's how it comes across to me at least. While his worry of the maps being solved and how intrusive the microtransactions would be is off-base, he doesn't like the feel of the shooting and the movement because it's not his kind of game. Jeff likes fast paced action of Call of Duty, Rainbow Six Siege was never going to be a game he'd be really into.

Aerocrane

What are you talking about? Can you clarify?

Blizzard games tend to retain their price for a long time. This is true both for retail and digital downloads through Battle.net. They have been far better about discounts on Battle.net recently, but as their games tend to sell well for a long time the price of retail copies drops slowly.

AcridMeat

Banned
This is awesome haha.
See this is what the discussion was missing. The way he talked about it made me think it had maybe 4 maps, but that sounds quite healthy. It also makes little sense that a game that gives you more options for how to tackle an objective is somehow going to be "solved" quicker. It's not like they're puzzles, they're still online multiplayer matches. It was a strange conversation, and it would have been much better had someone else on staff played it I think.
$60 tag is a little easier to swallow, but I may wait for the $30 drop.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1152332
No paid DLC sounds good at least.

You know, there's a bunch of Warhammer games on Steam that I think Vinny needs to take a look at.

Mordheim: Cities of the Damned just came out and is based on the Mordheim (which is the same setting as Vermintide), but is a turned-based strategy game more in line with the actual board game.

Warhammer 40k: Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion seems to be some sort of video game "Choose Your Own Adventure" book.

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada is an RTS that's coming out next year.

Total War: Warhammer in a few months probably the biggest Warhammer release.

Then there's also Space Hulk: Deathwing which is also coming out next year and is an FPS in the Space Hulk setting by the guys who did EYE Divine Cybermancy.

But looking at that list, makes me angry that there's still no Necromunda game.

Joeku

Blizzard games tend to retain their price for a long time. This is true both for retail and digital downloads through Battle.net. They have been far better about discounts on Battle.net recently, but as their games tend to sell well for a long time the price of retail copies drops slowly.

When Heart of the Swarm came out in March and then was half off on sale by the end of the year, when the WoW battlechest rolls in all past expansions except the current (and at least at one point I believe you could get it and Pandaria when it was current for $20 or less), when Reaper of Souls has been out for a year and a half and is currently half the price it started at...I disagree.

Their games certainly devalue slower than most other PC games I see (especially at retail) but the idea that Blizzard games take forever to drop in price is wrong. If Overwatch is still going to come out in the first half of next year, by year's end you'll be able to get the thing for at least a third off on sale, if not more.

Edit: As an aside, at this point if they just keep throwing in free characters and maps into the thing for two or three years until (or even if) a proper expansion comes out, I'm all for a $60 MP game that shirks all the lingering F2P crap.

Houndi101

Yeah probably just my knowledge of their pricing is outdated, let's hope they have learned because I myself am interested in Overwatch but maybe not for full price.
Fingers crossed for beta testing next year.

Red UFO

I bought Shadow of Mordor in the latest steam sale due to it winning GOTY last year.

I don't think I like this game. Combat is fun until enemies with projectiles get involved, in which case it's just tedious getting chipped away at for the entire fight.

Edit: fortunately I'm already 75% through the main story WTF

Patryn

Gone Home coming to consoles. Woo! Can't wait for the wars over that one /s.

Seriously though, I really did like Gone Home. The complaints about it being short, and especially the one post about the 47 second speed run just totally miss the whole point of the game, probably in the same way they'd miss the point of Her Story. It's not a traditional game with traditional "win" mechanics or parameters, and to think about "beating" it is misunderstanding everything about that game. It's about getting whatever you want out of the proceedings.But that's just my opinion...

Joeku

Yeah probably just my knowledge of their pricing is outdated, let's hope they have learned because I myself am interested in Overwatch but maybe not for full price.
Fingers crossed for beta testing next year.

Honestly considering how much streaming is going to matter to this game's success, I'd expect free weekends and lots of slight sales.

I bought Shadow of Mordor in the latest steam sale due to it winning GOTY last year.

I don't think I like this game. Combat is fun until enemies with projectiles get involved, in which case it's just tedious getting chipped away at for the entire fight.

Edit: fortunately I'm already 75% through the main story WTF

Shadow of Morder is a fucking weird game where the stories the systems give you (via playing with the Nemesis stuff) are far more interesting than anything you do or see that the game tells you to do. Also after you upgrade enough you become a god. Abuse the "takeover" combo thing or whatever it's called.

Gone Home coming to consoles. Woo! Can't wait for the wars over that one /s.

Seriously though, I really did like Gone Home. The complaints about it being short, and especially the one post about the 47 second speed run just totally miss the whole point of the game, probably in the same way they'd miss the point of Her Story. It's not a traditional game with traditional "win" mechanics or parameters, and to think about "beating" it is misunderstanding everything about that game. It's about getting whatever you want out of the proceedings.But that's just my opinion...

It's really not worth getting worked up over people and their "non-game" bitching. You're never going to have a genuine discourse with them about it. Also, wasn't it announced for WiiU forever ago? That just didn't happen.

tchocky

It's really not worth getting worked up over people and their "non-game" bitching. You're never going to have a genuine discourse with them about it. Also, wasn't it announced for WiiU forever ago? That just didn't happen.

The company who were going to do that had financial problems so it got cancelled.

The complaints about it being short, and especially the one post about the 47 second speed run just totally miss the whole point of the game, probably in the same way they'd miss the point of Her Story.

$20 was maybe a little bit steep for a game that took me a little over two hours, being thorough, with no replay value. but I really enjoyed the game.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It is crazy to me that all these years after the Persona ER there is still no good way to watch an entire playlist on GB. The organisation and sorting of the videos on their site is embarrassing.

popo

CBS corporate must be idiots. Scheduling a move at the end of the year after all the games came out and nobody much is advertising and for what? A measly sublet that is only worth a couple of million bucks a year on a 10 year lease.

As for the periscope ban. Can't read too much in to comments of one person - and there was active construction going on in that floor. I would likely discourage a bunch of people walking around with their phones out too.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Has the taco bell run to end all taco bell runs been lost to the ages? I tried the periscope archive and it said stream not found.

Zaph

Has the taco bell run to end all taco bell runs been lost to the ages? I tried the periscope archive and it said stream not found.

I uploaded them to GBU, but Dan asked they be removed. When he's done this before, he usually uploads them to his own channel soon after, but this time he said he has bigger plans, so who knows...

yami4ct

Just caught up with the FF7 news.

Multi-part combined with CC2 working on it all but confirms a 2017 date for the initial release. I was always expecting that date, but I was expecting a paired down FF7 with no world map and just the essentials. Being multipart is interesting since it implies they're actually trying to capture the scope of the game with modern tech, a massive task to undertake.

Biggest problem with this news? CC2 is gonna be tied up with this for the rest of the generation. Dramatically lessens the chance of something crazy new like Asura's Wrath or more .Hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom