• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBS corporate must be idiots. Scheduling a move at the end of the year after all the games came out and nobody much is advertising and for what? A measly sublet that is only worth a couple of million bucks a year on a 10 year lease.

As for the periscope ban. Can't read too much in to comments of one person - and there was active construction going on in that floor. I would likely discourage a bunch of people walking around with their phones out too.

Periscope ban?

I uploaded them to GBU, but Dan asked they be removed. When he's done this before, he usually uploads them to his own channel soon after, but this time he said he has bigger plans, so who knows...

So is GBU just you or is it a collective of people? I like to think of it as The Library of Congress or something, scrambling around to make sure every tiny scrap of this website is archived.

Zaph

So is GBU just you or is it a collective of people? I like to think of it as The Library of Congress or something, scrambling around to make sure every tiny scrap of this website is archived.

It's Alr1ght too. No one person could upload all those Taco Bell runs and stay sane.

Myggen

CBS saw his Taco Bell periscope and for his well being banned him from eating at Taco Bell.

Dan announced this morning that he's retiring from Giant Bomb and becoming a full time wrestler and Youtube sensation.

ibXaE9B.gif

yami4ct

well what are you doing, there are like 7 FFVII threads in gaming's front page right now and you should voice an opinion in all of them

I prefer to concentrate my dislike of the original VII and my ensuing optimism for the Remake in this thread. FF VII fans scare me. Someone seriously just suggested they care about Cloud as a character. I honestly can't comprehend that idea.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I prefer to concentrate my dislike of the original VII and my ensuing optimism for the Remake in this thread. FF VII fans scare me. Someone seriously just suggested they care about Cloud as a character. I honestly can't comprehend that idea.

Anime is real yami.

They're my friend.

Cloud might be the emptiest FF lead outside of Lightning. He's not even the best FF lead in his console generation.

people are strange

TraBuch

Banned
I think someone in my neighborhood is poisoning cats. I've seen three dead cats around my neighborhood, all of which I recognize as feral cats that've lived here for a while.

Cloud might be the emptiest FF lead outside of Lightning. He's not even the best FF lead in his console generation.

people are strange

You're underselling Cloud there. Let's go over his positive qualities. Cool sword. Does a sick flip off a train. Rides a motorcycle. Secure enough to dress as a lady to swindle a mob boss. Snowboards. Well that's about it.

yami4ct

people are strange

Cloud is by the very definition an empty slate. Even within his own world he's an empty slate. He purely exists for the player to project onto. I don't mind that decision in principle, but let's not pretend there's a character there. That's like saying 'my favorite FF protagonist is myself!'.

Also people have zero clue about how game budgets work. People expecting an FF7 with fully traversable overworld that's the exact same size as the original, high detail 3D assets for every town, and a full Midgar the size of Fallout 4 in a single game have another thing coming. There's a reason modern games are scaled differently.

popo

Cant believe Danny got baited so hard

So whats the ban?

During the floor move one gamespot guy said he didn't think they were supposed to periscope on the new floor. That is all he said so any interpretation is speculation at this stage. Dan did it anyway.

Patryn

Cloud is by the very definition an empty slate. Even within his own world he's an empty slate. He purely exists for the player to project onto. I don't mind that decision in principle, but let's not pretend there's a character there. That's like saying 'my favorite FF protagonist is myself!'.

Also people have zero clue about how game budgets work. People expecting an FF7 with fully traversable overworld that's the exact same size as the original, high detail 3D assets for every town, and a full Midgar the size of Fallout 4 in a single game have another thing coming. There's a reason modern games are scaled differently.

It really is satisfying watching a group that crucified Giant Bomb for being wary and cautious about the announcement due to these factors come to the same realization as GB did, just six months later.

well yeah i know that he's literally a blank slate
ZACK IS WHERE ITS AT YO
but that doesn't mean he had to be a sucky blank slate. He's this dopey petulant manchild who argues over everything and pretends to be too cool for skewl

wait i just realized why people liked him.

yami4ct

It really is satisfying watching a group that crucified Giant Bomb for being wary and cautious about the announcement due to these factors come to the same realization as GB did, just six months later.

Yep. People who wanted the full FFVII with 3D graphics should be excited for this announcement as this means that might actually might happen. If it was a single game, there was no way in hell it wouldn't be massively scaled back so that it can actually hit a reasonable budget.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's fun to see Alex talking about the 'but is it a game' stuff about Gone Home on twitter meanwhile Brad "I Question How Much Mario Maker Is A Game" Shoemaker works beside him

yami4ct

ZACK IS WHERE ITS AT YO
but that doesn't mean he had to be a sucky blank slate. He's this dopey petulant manchild who argues over everything and pretends to be too cool for skewl

There's that too. Cloud is the most 90s JRPG protagonist ever.

Patryn

I just hope they address how the World Map will work in it pretty soon. That has to be the largest question left.

I suspect I won't like the answer.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
ZACK IS WHERE ITS AT YO

Isn't that the whole point, because of what happened to him/Zack? Cloud being a cipher, I mean. It's been a while since I played it.

yami4ct

I just hope they address how the World Map will work in it pretty soon. That has to be the largest question left.

I suspect I won't like the answer.

The answer will be 'we won't decide until Part 2'. Part 1 is going to be purely Midgar. I'm almost sure of it.

I bet the overworld ends up pretty similar to the original. A scale version of the world your characters run around on, only a bit prettier. Maybe put encounters on the Overworld instead of random battles as well.

Isn't that the whole point, because of what happened to him/Zack? Cloud being a cipher, I mean. It's been a while since I played it.

i mean if we want to go straight into spoiler territory for a near 20 year old game then lets do it.

pretty sure that almost all of cloud's memories are Zack's and zack is the man now, dawg. Cloud is just a fake, a loser, a dude who basically pretends to be zack and steals his cool cool backstory and makes it his own.

The answer will be 'we won't decide until Part 2'. Part 1 is going to be purely Midgar. I'm almost sure of it.

I bet the overworld ends up pretty similar to the original. A scale version of the world your characters run around on, only a bit prettier. Maybe put encounters on the Overworld instead of random battles as well.
cant really do a proper overworld if parts of the world haven't been developed yet. I imagine they'll just do what the Witcher does in letting you play in a large open world hub but it's not a proper world map.

Patryn

Oh, I agree that Part 1 will be just Midgar.

And the problem with your vision is that to do that, they'd need to either lock off portions, or make all towns visitable.

That's not hard until you get the airship, but once you get the airship...

I honestly expect that they're going to linearize it, and make it like FFX as many suspect.

i mean if we want to go straight into spoiler territory for a near 20 year old game then lets do it.

pretty sure that almost all of cloud's memories are Zack's and zack is the man now, dawg. Cloud is just a fake, a loser, a dude who basically pretends to be zack and steals his cool cool backstory and makes it his own.

Cloud actually has all his memories, plus possibly some of Zack's.

There's definitely still Cloud in there, given that he remembers growing up with Tifa and the like, as well as what really happened in their hometown when he came back. If it was just Zack, he'd know Aeris and barely remember Tifa.

tchocky

Yeah I expect part 1 to end with the free way motorcycle chase and fighting motorball and the final shot being this one looking out at the world map.

Cloud actually has all his memories, plus possibly some of Zack's.

There's definitely still Cloud in there, given that he remembers growing up with Tifa and the like, as well as what really happened in their hometown when he came back. If it was just Zack, he'd know Aeris and barely remember Tifa.

yeah, i didn't meant to make it sound like he doesn't have his own memories, too. I should've worded that better and your take is on the money

it's been nearly 20 years so i tend to not remember some of the finer details as much as i would like lol

Am I the weirdo for not caring about FF7?
naw, but if you were there when it came out and were into JRPGs it was like the second coming. It really was an achievement, it start the golden age of PSX RPGs and perhaps Square's best period of games ever. So people really hold it in high regard for several reasons.

yami4ct

Oh, I agree that Part 1 will be just Midgar.

And the problem with your vision is that to do that, they'd need to either lock off portions, or make all towns visitable.

That's not hard until you get the airship, but once you get the airship...

The airship is fairly late in the game and the 7 map is already pretty sparse. The game already has tons of ways to lock you out of parts through terrain. They can use those to cut the map to whatever part's been done and expand those aspects if need be. By the time you get to Part 3 (assuming it's 3 parts), the full world map will be completed and they won't need to generate those assets.

Am I the weirdo for not caring about FF7?

Not really. FF7 is a weird time and place game. I have zero nostalgia for it either. I'm interested in 7:R because I'm a JRPG nut and I'm interested in what it could be. If you don't have that, I can see be completely apathetic.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
FF9 is the best PS1 FF.

Classic game. The characterisation in it is fantastic. Steiner and Vivi <3

People overrate how much of an emo Cloud is. He's actually cocky and upbeat - he's just a bit fucked up for plot reasons. Advent Children ruined him a bit.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
All I realistic need from ff7r is HD cloud in a dress.

They said they're doing it which really surprised me and hopefully means they aren't going the grimdark Compilation route, but keeping the fun stuff too.

Megasoum

Banned
I wonder if my name is in the credits for the PS4 version of FF7... I technically did not work on it but it's in the PC version which is the base for that port AFAIK. Btw, talk about bucket list item to have your name in FF7 credits lol.

yami4ct

FF9 is the best PS1 FF.

I mean, sure. FF7 is highly flawed and kind of a mess. FF8 is a bit better in some aspects, but worse than others. I find it a more lovable mess, but still a mess. FF9 is the first P21 game where it feels like square actually had it all together.

I mean, sure. FF7 is highly flawed and kind of a mess. FF8 is a bit better in some aspects, but worse than others. I find it a more lovable mess, but still a mess. FF9 is the first P21 game where it feels like square actually had it all together.

except that the battles take for fucking ever and it suffers from having a rando final boss, which is common with these games.

but yes it's a damn fine ff game. It's prerendered backgrounds are second to none, they're so damn good.

I wonder if my name is in the credits for the PS4 version of FF7... I technically did not work on it but it's in the PC version which is the base for that port AFAIK. Btw, talk about bucket list item to have your name in FF7 credits lol.

You're lucky they didn't butcher the port, in that case.

you sure do like talking about your job a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom