• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

demidar

Classic game. The characterisation in it is fantastic. Steiner and Vivi <3

People overrate how much of an emo Cloud is. He's actually cocky and upbeat - he's just a bit fucked up for plot reasons. Advent Children ruined him a bit.

Yeah, it's like your memories are lying to you guys. Cloud in his FF7 rendition, is an outgoing, cocky son of a bitch with a wry sense of humour and he does try and connect to the people around him.

People only think he's mopey/angsty because Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts (and possibly Dissidia, haven't played them) are fresher in their minds than FF7.

The reaction to the FF7 news has made me feel really weird as a fan of FF7, every piece of news that has come out about it has actually made me more interested yet the minute I go to see reactions everyone seems to losing their minds.

I guess nostalgia will do that to people.

Tactics.

Unless we're talking mainline only. Though that's not really a high bar to clear.
Tell me more about Xenocross.

The reaction to the FF7 news has made me feel really weird as a fan of FF7, every piece of news that has come out about it has actually made me more interested yet the minute I go to see reactions everyone seems to losing their minds.

I guess nostalgia will do that to people.

The change in the combat completely renewed my interest...the original's combat hasn't aged splendidly and the materia system made every character feel same-y (outside of limit breaks). Merely slapping a new coat of paint on that 20-year-old gameplay would have been a poor choice.

yami4ct

The change in the combat completely renewed my interest...the original's combat hasn't aged splendidly and the materia system made every character feel same-y (outside of limit breaks). Merely slapping a new coat of paint on that 20-year-old gameplay would have been a poor choice.

In a perfect world, FF7:R would've just stolen Trails in the Sky's battle and orbment systems, but we don't live in a perfect world. The action style seems like a fine compromise.

Tell me more about Xenocross.

Its a terrible game that's still better than FFVII.

I thiiink Tactics might be the only "Final Fantasy" game I ever beat. I may have completed one of the FF games that came out on GBA, I can't remember.

Damn, I love Tactics though.

Tactics Advance was great too. The first tactics game had a ton of issues with its story and especially characters, but that gameplay/job system is amazing.

Edit: CONTENT?!

OH MY GOD

Strax

Demo Derby!!!

conan.gif

hamchan

FF7 will never finish and/or have huge cuts to the original story. Calling it now.

Not only am I confident that they will finish the whole thing, I believe they will expand it like those Hobbit movies and add a bunch of stuff from the compilation like that Genesis Rhapsodos guy.

Oh wait that's all still a bad thing.

Yup, there's so much stuff in FF7 that would be god awful if they just left it as it was but made it look better.

I don't know what to do with this, do I consume it all now or ration it out?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Not only am I confident that they will finish the whole thing, I believe they will expand it like those Hobbit movies and add a bunch of stuff from the compilation like that Genesis Rhapsodos guy.

Oh wait that's all still a bad thing.

They've said that they'll add things IIRC...

Tactics Advance was great too. The first tactics game had a ton of issues with its story and especially characters, but that gameplay/job system is amazing.

I admit to not playing a ton of FFT at the time (I rented it only) but I played A TON of FFTA. god that game was so good

FF7 will never finish and/or have huge cuts to the original story. Calling it now.

i can't foresee it not finishing. I have much more confidence in FF7r happening than FFXV solely due to the fact theyre using a real fucking engine for it that is incredible well documented and proven as opposed to whatever technical shitshow that their own homemade engines have been for them, causing them severe development issues.

yami4ct

They've said that they'll add things IIRC...

They're certainly going to have to add side quests to Midgar if we're right and they're gonna make Part 1 purely the Midgar section. Heck, they'll need to add quests to it if they're planning to make Midgar a fully traversable city just to justify all that extra space.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
They're certainly going to have to add side quests to Midgar if we're right and they're gonna make Part 1 purely the Midgar section. Heck, they'll need to add quests to it if they're planning to make Midgar a fully traversable city just to justify all that extra space.

Yeah... whilst it could be nice, it just seems weird that they'd add more to an already enormous project

yami4ct

Yeah... whilst it could be nice, it just seems weird that they'd add more to an already enormous project

The problem is, for all of FF7's scale, it's actually pretty empty aside from a few key side things. If you're rendering that at a modern scale, that emptiness wouldn't go over well. Doubly so if you're splitting the project up.

tuxfool

Banned

You're not alone. At least with their current plan the game is actually feasible.

CBS corporate must be idiots. Scheduling a move at the end of the year after all the games came out and nobody much is advertising and for what? A measly sublet that is only worth a couple of million bucks a year on a 10 year lease.

As for the periscope ban. Can't read too much in to comments of one person - and there was active construction going on in that floor. I would likely discourage a bunch of people walking around with their phones out too.

Oh this better not be true. This is the other relief pitcher in the GB rotation (the other being Encyclopedia Bombasticas).

Hotline Miami 2 had a really neat story and a amazing soundtrack. It's hard to get too excited about a sequel that has noticeably worse level design than its predecessor though

Hotline Miami 2 had a really neat story and a amazing soundtrack. It's hard to get too excited about a sequel that has noticeably worse level design than its predecessor though

when the universal summary of HM2 was "it's like the annoying hard parts at the end of HM1 but that's the whole game" I was like naw, thanks but no thanks

Man
Parappa
was one of three games (along with MGS and FFVII) that made me envious of PS1 owners back in the day. It was SO good... (at least in a controlled party format where you're only playing for a little bit at a time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom