• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fangio II is known in Japan as Doki Doki Panic

EDIT: It's funny that Dan calls Fighting Force a natural evolution of Final Fight and Streets of Rage considering that the game actually started out as Streets of Rage 4.

Man that answer on Danny's Tumblr is sad. I replied to him saying he should continue to make those videos because they are awesome but post them on GBb instead. Better community for that kind of stuff.

Bummer. The Point is definitely Gamespot's best content--it's the the reason I've visited GS, aside from one or two particularly insightful articles. As to The Point itself, it's a bit like Jimquisitions, but a lot more powerful in what they're trying to convey, with Danny's delivery bringing it home.

It is sorta weird that they didn't crosspost The Point on Giant Bomb when they've had Giant Bomb's QL's crossposted on Gamespot. Though aggregation isn't really what GB is about, I guess, so that'd probably be an unsavoury idea.

popo

Do you think Notch backed Psychonauts 2 on figstarter? If so, at what level?

I feel sorry for Danny at some of the shit he has to put up with regarding GameSpot's audience.

Sure but he must have known the audience going in. You don't start putting WW2 documentaries or art retrospectives on E! and then be surprised that no one watched them.

Sure but he must have known the audience going in. You don't start putting WW2 documentaries or art retrospectives on E! and then be surprised that no one watched them.
Maybe he thought he could bring in a new audience. He has talked before about wanting to make Gamespot the best game site around and providing insightful content was probably apart of that. Unfortunately, it has not gone well.

danm999

Oh yeah I think Danny would well have expected it. But certain things have happened in the gaming community over the last 18 months that have made things even more unpleasant and volatile than I think anyone ever could have predicted.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Maybe he thought he could bring in a new audience. He has talked before about wanting to make Gamespot the best game site around and providing insightful content was probably apart of that. Unfortunately, it has not gone well.

Yeah, it's too bad. Especially cause I can see those videos doing quite well on GB. They should just post them there as well, likeGB sometimes posts Quicklooks on Gamespot.

Anjin M

Do you think Notch backed Psychonauts 2 on figstarter? If so, at what level?

I think I saw somebody mention he backed at $10,000

Notch tweeted at Double Fine that he backed at the highest non-investor level, which would be $10,000.

Xavier Woods playing Windjammers live right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO_Pfby8s1M

Tangentially related I know.

Two great tastes that taste great together.

Was watching the Dead Souls quick look because of Yakuza hype and that had Patrick and Brad at their worse. "I know nothing about this series and haven't looked into it at all but I think that people think they aren't actually good, just goofy"

Tsk tsk tsk

skynidas

Banned
Tw5uqmp.jpg

Was watching the Dead Souls quick look because of Yakuza hype and that had Patrick and Brad at their worse. "I know nothing about this series and haven't looked into it at all but I think that people think they aren't actually good, just goofy"

Tsk tsk tsk

I wouldn't blame anyone for getting that impression from Dead Souls.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I have to wonder whether Jeff just doesn't remember reality or if he is the only person to prefer Fighting Force 2. I never played the original but I had Fighting Force 2 on Dreamcast and that might have been the only game on the console that I had and thought was terrible.

I played Tomb Raider 1 recently. Sure it controls roughly nowadays, but I had a lot of fun with it. The combat was the only part that I actively disliked.

anyway Dan is wrong basically

Myggen

I played Tomb Raider 1 recently. Sure it controls roughly nowadays, but I had a lot of fun with it. The combat was the only part that I actively disliked.

Nah man, Tomb Raider always controlled badly to me. I remember really disliking it when it came out because of it.

Nah man, Tomb Raider always controlled badly to me. I remember really disliking it when it came out because of it.

The controls are daft, BUT for some reason that adds a layer of satisfaction to it all.

IDK, I'm pretty stubborn, I'll bleed enjoyment out of most games.

Anjin M

Absolutely agree. I don't want to go back to that style of control now, but I had a lot of fun with it when it came out. Of course, I was a lot better at keyboard controls back then. :)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I respect the old Tomb Raider games now than I did when they were new. Back then I was young enough to be around enough people who bought it because tits that I didn't even acknowledge it to be a real thing and never played the games. I still don't like them but I'll at least admit the Tomb Raider games were games now.

Plus, it couldn't possibly be as bad as the 2013 one, so there's that.

I'm inspired.

Tomb Raider 2 drastically increasing the amount of combat encounters is quite possibly the stupidest decision for a sequel. Bless cheat codes for the platforming and puzzles of TR2 are superb.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yep, just played through 1 last week and I enjoyed it from start to finish. The environments are built around the controls, and as mechanical as they are by today's standards, they are accurate and consistent. Most of the fun is figuring out and executing the platforming you had to do. The combat is the worst aspect of the game, and it took the wind out of my sails for my playthrough of 2, where they've multiplied the enemy count by like a hundred.

Never had a problem playing them as a child either. Not really sure how anyone could find them difficult, you just have to spend a few minutes getting used to them. If you're impatient to begin with, the games are not for you.

the first three or so tomb raider games are cool if you're into methodical platformers

you have to realize that it's not trying to be a 3D version of platformers like Sonic and Mario, it's trying to be a 3D Prince of Persia

Tomb Raider 1 also has a cracking atmosphere, knowing perfectly went to throw in BGM, some great sound effects... the graphics are rough, even for the time and the platform, but that draw distance fits considering the locales you're exploring are mostly caves, temples and, er, tombs. (The PS1 music mod for the Steam versions is essential.)

That title theme still does it for me, Most under-appreciated bit of game music ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom