• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
yeah he's good but not really that distinguished as a character

heck of a boss fight, though

I'm hoping there's enough space for me to change my greeting to "If I did THIS, would that mean anything to you?".

And yes, that Skell fan fiction line was incredibly endearing.

her va is excellent

yami4ct

yeah he's good but not really that distinguished as a character

heck of a boss fight, though

He uses
dubstep as a weapon

What more do you need?

I actually more am just pushing that fight for best moment as it deserves the recognition. For best new character, my pick is probably Loaderbot or Gortys from TftB.

Megasoum

Banned
I just realized that because of the super long Demo Derby I won't have time to play TOTB at all tonight... Sigh, real life sucks sometimes.

Revisiting ancient Bombcast discussion on re-releasing PS2 era Tony Hawks, Jeff and them speculated licensing is the hold up. Reading how the PS2 Grand Theft Autos on PS4 are edited to remove certain songs, maybe it can be done with Tony Hawk and PS2 games with licensed tracks. SSX3, Burnout 3, and THPS3 with royalty-free tracks.

Patryn

I just realized that because of the super long Demo Derby I won't have time to play TOTB at all tonight... Sigh, real life sucks sometimes.
Hey, I'm still working my way through Fallout 4 and a game I shall not name because of the ridicule this thread will inflict. Worse still, in 2 weeks I'll be going on a 2 week vacation back home to Michigan, and I know that I'll be totally derailed by the time I get back. Plus, if The Force Awakens is decent at all I have the feeling that I'll just want to play SWTOR.

I do have TOTB all ready to go, but I know I won't get to that until the new year.

yami4ct

Hey, I'm still working my way through Fallout 4 and a game I shall not name because of the ridicule this thread will inflict. Worse still, in 2 weeks I'll be going on a 2 week vacation back home to Michigan, and I know that I'll be totally derailed by the time I get back. Plus, if The Force Awakens is decent at all I have the feeling that I'll just want to play SWTOR.

I do have TOTB all ready to go, but I know I won't get to that until the new year.

Michigan Giant Bomb represent!

Please get me out of here.

Megasoum

Banned

Man... Being a responsible adult can really sucks sometimes.

Still trying to finish Gal Gun 2, eh?

Alfredo

Man, wrestling really sucks right now...sounds like a great time for the Powerbombcast to show back up again.

I wonder if Drew ever finished watching Survivor Series. Maybe they'll make him watch TLC and every other WWE PPV (and NXT Takeovers) until they decide to do the next podcast.

Tubobutts

Man, wrestling really sucks right now...sounds like a great time for the Powerbombcast to show back up again.

I wonder if Drew ever finished watching Survivor Series. Maybe they'll make him watch TLC and every other WWE PPV (and NXT Takeovers) until they decide to do the next podcast.

I was thinking about this earlier and I think Dan having Drew "prepare" for the power bombcast was just a ploy to get him to watch wrestling.

I never left the Hinterlands in Dragon Age Inquisition.

Patryn

Still trying to finish Gal Gun 2, eh?
If you must know....

Dragon Age Inquisition. I got all the DLC, but I haven't played any of it. Doing my second play through with the new trials, and I'm only 60 hours in, so not that close to the end. Fuck you, I like the game a lot and don't have to justify myself to you. It's fun for me.

yami4ct

If you must know....

Dragon Age Inquisition. I got all the DLC, but I haven't played any of it. Doing my second play through with the new trials, and I'm only 60 hours in, so not that close to the end. Fuck you, I like the game a lot and don't have to justify myself to you. It's fun for me.

The amount of vitriol over DAI surprises me. I'm not about to claim it's a top tier WRPG, but I still had a ton of fun with it. Thought the cast really fit well together.

The amount of vitriol over DAI surprises me. I'm not about to claim it's a top tier WRPG, but I still had a ton of fun with it. Thought the cast really fit well together.

I don't know how you can think that... If someone told me Sera was pulled from another game entirely I'd believe it. She's incredibly anachronistic; like a Borderlands characacter that somehow ended up in the Dragon Age universe.

justjim89

A lot of folks I know of who dig DAI play it basically for the characters, like a fantasy Mass Effect. Which doesn't sound too bad. I started it a few months ago and didn't mind what I played. I need to beat Origins at some point, though.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't know how you can think that... If someone told me Sera was pulled from another game entirely I'd believe it. She's incredibly anachronistic; like a Borderlands characacter that somehow ended up in the Dragon Age universe.

Seriously, fuck Sera, she is the worst. The others are alright though.

yami4ct

A lot of folks I know of who dig DAI play it basically for the characters, like a fantasy Mass Effect. Which doesn't sound too bad. I started it a few months ago and didn't mind what I played. I need to beat Origins at some point, though.

The cast was the main selling point for me. I think the overarching plot has some interesting ideas and sections, but definitely doesn't come together perfectly. The combat is OK and certainly better than DA2, but is shown up by DAO and especially Divinity OS. It also has Ubisoft syndrome of way too many pointless collectables, but I'm pretty good at ignoring most of the stuff that I'm not having fun with.

Iron Bull's the only legitimately fun character, I'd say. The others run the gamut from boring to forgettable, with Sera being outright malicious to my enjoyment of DAI.

danm999

Yes I found Sera very off-putting and not terribly interesting as a character.

I think she was supposed to give a voice to the disadvantaged and the downtrodden in that universe as her thing but somewhere along the way they decided "QUIRKY IT IS" and whatever else was supposed to happen was lost.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bioware stopped knowing how to write interesting characters in 2011 and now only know how to make fanservicey/wish fulfillment fanfiction characters.

Look at the cast of Dragon Age Awakening and compare it to Dragon Age 2 even. An expansion has unique characters like Justice, Sigren, Nathaniel Howe, etc while Inquisition has 'My dreamy dark and brooding Sephiroth elf swordsman and my quirky squeeeee elf girl'

Mass Effect 2 was a constant fight of who I wanted to bring because everyone was so cool. 'Do I bring Mordin? Or Legion? Or Grunt? Or Garrus? or Samara?' Mass Effect 3 was 'I guess I'll bring Garrus and Liara because you're not the shitty guido.'

I don't think I've found a single modern Bioware game to be interesting. Beat and didn't care for Mass Effect 1 and I stopped at Mass Effect 2 before the suicide mission because it was just as boring as 1

I hear good things about their older stuff like BG, but I don't like cRPGs.

danm999

They're basically writing characters in the same way they did 15 years ago which is bound to have diminishing returns at some point.

Xenoblade X tip for everyone playing: Save before you accept any affinity quests. You can't abandon them or move the story while they're active, and some are really difficult/time consuming. Also, use the fashion gear menu to put sunglasses on Lin so you don't have to look at her creepy eyes.

Xenoblade X tip for everyone playing: Save before you accept any affinity quests. You can't abandon them or move the story while they're active, and some are really difficult/time consuming. Also, use the fashion gear menu to put sunglasses on Lin so you don't have to look at her creepy eyes.

I want Lin's eyes to stare inside my soul.

justjim89

Jeff often says that in a lot of ways games have never been better, and I'm inclined to agree. Between the continued rise of indie developers and the prominence of crowdfunding, more and more niches are being catered to. Hardcore CRPGs are on the comeback. A lot of interesting twists on roguelikes. Horror games. Even stealth games have been popping up more the past few years. Big games are so hit and miss these days, but a lot of smaller stuff is really hitting the mark.

Just something I was kinda thinking about. Having to choose between Volume, Invisible Inc, and Neon Struct as to which stealth game from this year I wanna play tonight. Trying to make up my mind of whether to finish Pillars or Wasteland 2 first after the holiday season. Still having Divinity to look forward to, as well.

Shit is really good, these days.

yami4ct

Jeff often says that in a lot of ways games have never been better, and I'm inclined to agree. Between the continued rise of indie developers and the prominence of crowdfunding, more and more niches are being catered to. Hardcore CRPGs are on the comeback. A lot of interesting twists on roguelikes. Horror games. Even stealth games have been popping up more the past few years. Big games are so hit and miss these days, but a lot of smaller stuff is really hitting the mark.

Just something I was kinda thinking about. Having to choose between Volume, Invisible Inc, and Neon Struct as to which stealth game from this year I wanna play tonight. Trying to make up my mind of whether to finish Pillars or Wasteland 2 first after the holiday season. Still having Divinity to look forward to, as well.

JRPGs seem to be back in full force as well. The ones I like, smaller handheld games, have never really gone away, but you also have consoles JRPGs pushing their way back in. Now you can have your smaller tier games like the Trails series, your mid tier stuff like Tales and the Megami Tensei games as well as your super big budget stuff like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

No Extended HD Gameplay, no-kai watch.

Jokes aside, I'm actually using the sweet logo-less Firewatch desktop background posted months ago, so I guess I owe it to them to be interested in Firewatch.
Yes I found Sera very off-putting and not terribly interesting as a character.

I think she was supposed to give a voice to the disadvantaged and the downtrodden in that universe as her thing but somewhere along the way they decided "QUIRKY IT IS" and whatever else was supposed to happen was lost.

DAI's companions felt pretty one note, like Bioware was checking off a party-generation list. You have the stoic warriors (Cassandra, Iron Bull, Blackwall), the sarcastic magi (Solas, Vivienne, Dorian), the trickster-rogues (Varric, Cole, Sera), and no Mabari Warhound to speak of because dammit Bioware. As mentioned above, it was a doubling-down on DA2's take on companions, using them to retread once-great characters and hit all the writing bases, rather than try and make wholly original ones; it signalled the end of companions acting as characters of their own (not to mention agents within their own stories) and now they're all basically mindless automatons... with a rare few exceptions.

This sort of mentality is why HK-47 is a companion, like, two or three times in Star Wars: The Old Republic. (different revisions, lol)

The rise of great indie/mid-tier gaming has really made our cups runneth over. I was thinking the same thing earlier when we were talking about the FFVII remake and the complaints that it's moving away from the older turn-based combat. If you want that kind of experience, there is absolutely no shortage of great, reasonably priced JRPG games on Steam. And you could say the same thing about essentially any genre or game. Disappointed with Fallout 4? Well here's Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, The Witcher 3, etc. Wanna scratch that strategy itch until XCOM 2? Try Invisible, Inc. or even Hard West. There's an insane amount of quality choices out there right now.

danm999

I finished Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity this year and cannot wait to sink my teeth into Wasteland 2.

Amazed that game went under my radar so long.

Dineren

Banned
Xenoblade X tip for everyone playing: Save before you accept any affinity quests. You can't abandon them or move the story while they're active, and some are really difficult/time consuming.

It's insane that they don't let you abandon affinity quests. I'm enjoying it enough that I'd play through it even if I did get stuck on a quest, but I could definitely see someone just dropping the game if they ended up in that situation.

One more tip I'd consider essential, focus on the mechanical skill first. You will be hurting if you don't.

justjim89

I finished Divinity Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity this year and cannot wait to sink my teeth into Wasteland 2.

Amazed that game went under my radar so long.

It's really good. Good tactical combat, well-rounded roleplaying and character development, and some really good worldbuilding.

The only thing it's missing is a stealth system.

ryaisci.png

Started playing Destiny because it was cheap during Black Friday.

I feel as though the duder's rage was misplaced.

You can go to the moon and there are no moon physics.

It's 2015.

WHAT THE FUCK

daydream

Banned
xcx might give grow home's verticality a run for its money, the world architecture is btilliant

sense of scale is overall astounding

ˢᵖʳᵃᵃᵃᵃᶰᶰᶰᶰᵍᵍᵍᵍᵍ ᵇʳᵉᵉᵉᵉᵃᵃᵃᵃᵃᵏᵏᵏᵏᵏᵏ

Started playing Destiny because it was cheap during Black Friday.

I feel as though the duder's rage was misplaced.

You can go to the moon and there are no moon physics.

It's 2015.

WHAT THE FUCK

Still dont know how Destiny did not win the most disappointing game of 2014.

Its flawed in just about every way.

Even after a year or DLC and fixes its still just a big box of what could have been.

If anyone from GB GAF wants to get a raid party going we should do that. I still need to raid.

fleck0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom