• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Tomb Raider came out around the same time as Mario 64 and only slightly before Ocarina of Time.

There is no excuse.

totp eat it OG Tomb Raider nerds

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The controls are daft, BUT for some reason that adds a layer of satisfaction to it all.

IDK, I'm pretty stubborn, I'll bleed enjoyment out of most games.
It's true for the early TR games. Everything is built around those control and stuff like lining up a jump is actually difficult and rewarding unlike movement in today's 3rd person games.
You can't really go back to that style, except maybe in a game like Dark Souls with 2 meaningful jumps throughout the game.

Tomb Raider came out around the same time as Mario 64 and only slightly before Ocarina of Time.

There is no excuse.

totp eat it OG Tomb Raider nerds

Hey, if they'd asked me to climb Bob-omb Battlefield with Tomb Raider controls I'd have shut off the game there and then

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Another great Demo Derby, best part might be Jeff's apparent confusion about whether or not they ever announced a full FF7 remake.

repeater

So I've just finished the trailing part of Act 3 of MGS4. The story just got REAL stupid/awesome (haven't quite decided yet). Can't wait to see Drew's reactions to this.

So I've just finished the trailing part of Act 3 of MGS4. The story just got REAL stupid/awesome (haven't quite decided yet). Can't wait to see Drew's reactions to this.

That has easily my favorite cutscene in all of Metal Gear.

edit: oh wait, you haven't gotten to the very end of the Act, never mind, you are in for a treat, though!

repeater

That has easily my favorite cutscene in all of Metal Gear.

edit: oh wait, you haven't gotten to the very end of the Act, never mind, you are in for a treat, though!
Good, good. I've really enjoyed the game so far, it's really fun to experiment with different approaches in the semi-open levels. I heard some people say the trailing section was really bad but I must say I didn't think it was all that bad really, so I'm looking forward to what's coming up next.

Volotaire

Good, good. I've really enjoyed the game so far, it's really fun to experiment with different approaches in the semi-open levels. I heard some people say the trailing section was really bad but I must say I didn't think it was all that bad really, so I'm looking forward to what's coming up next.

Oh boy. You're in for a treat. Sit back and enjoy. Especially the next act.

It's true for the early TR games. Everything is built around those control and stuff like lining up a jump is actually difficult and rewarding unlike movement in today's 3rd person games.
You can't really go back to that style, except maybe in a game like Dark Souls with 2 meaningful jumps throughout the game.

MNIAyE5.gif

Precisely. I replayed the games a while back and after like 5 - 10 minutes I got used to it and it's instantly satisfying. It's the same thing with the old RE games, now let's see how REmake is with the new controls.

GgSy7ka.gif

f0txEVc.gif

I've never understood using the controls for TR and how unnecessarily challenging they used to be as some sort of defense for how it played. The puzzle stuff, sure, I can get that. But the controls?

Naw, it had no excuses. You could have puzzles of similar complexity in the generation without needed to feel like your character is running through molasses. Just look at crystal dynamic's soul reaver as a perfect example of how it could've been done.

Naw, it had no excuses. You could have puzzles of similar complexity in the generation without needed to feel like your character is running through molasses. Just look at crystal dynamic's soul reaver as a perfect example of how it could've been done.

The controls have a learning curve to them, but once you get it, you get it. It's not like you're fighting with them the entire time you're playing the game.

Also, Tomb Raider was developed in a time where controlling a character in a full 3D space was still in its infancy (the game started development around early 1995). Soul Reaver had the benefit of being made three years after Tomb Raider.

I wonder if these ps1 issues they're having during the demo derby are due to having fast loading enable on the PS3. Fast loading could really make a technical mess of certain games.
The controls have a learning curve to them, but once you get it, you get it. It's not like you're fighting with them the entire time you're playing the game.

Also, Tomb Raider was developed in a time where controlling a character in a full 3D space was still in its infancy (the game started development around early 1995). Soul Reaver had the benefit of being made three years after Tomb Raider.
I get that it's a product of its time and some people managed to wrap their heads around its handling. I didn't have the patience for it even then, though, when I had all the time in the world and could tolerate clunky controls in other games.

just found myself not liking how unwieldy it all felt even at release. To each their own i suppose

daydream

Banned
The game is so damn meaty and so damn good.

How much have you played so far, Daydream?

oh i started it earlier, so only a couple hours in

realise i've only seen the tip of the tip of the iceberg but, well, like i said, i did go through the manual and boy, there's some stuff in there

are you in a squad? do we have enough xcx players here to form a gb-gaf squad?

Did any of the crew ever get into Divinity: OS? I've been playing the Enhanced Edition and I've never been able to get into CRPGs before (never really had a history with BG2, etc.), but this game is just fantastic, especially with the added gamepad support (which is a huge reason why I've been able to get into it). Probably my favorite game since New Vegas.

yami4ct

it would've been nice if they just called it X like when it was revealed

I totally agree. Putting Xenoblade on it brought up a bunch of expectations that the game wasn't even trying to meet. I almost didn't play it because of that. It may have the Xenoblade combat, but the rest of the game is so different it might as well not be a sequel/succesor. That's fine. The game seems to be doing what it wants to do really well, but it's not what I want from a Xenobalde sequel.

Glad to hear that if Takahashi makes another Xenoblade, he wants it more story focused a la the original. Much more of the direction I wanted from a new XC game.

danm999

Did any of the crew ever get into Divinity: OS? I've been playing the Enhanced Edition and I've never been able to get into CRPGs before (never really had a history with BG2, etc.), but this game is just fantastic, especially with the added gamepad support (which is a huge reason why I've been able to get into it). Probably my favorite game since New Vegas.

Patrick finished it, Vinny, Brad and Alex played a small amount of it IIRC.

Austin may have played it too, don't know. He's pretty into CRPGs though, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I totally agree. Putting Xenoblade on it brought up a bunch of expectations that the game wasn't even trying to meet. I almost didn't play it because of that. It may have the Xenoblade combat, but the rest of the game is so different it might as well not be a sequel/succesor. That's fine. The game seems to be doing what it wants to do really well, but it's not what I want from a Xenobalde sequel.

Glad to hear that if Takahashi makes another Xenoblade, he wants it more story focused a la the original. Much more of the direction I wanted from a new XC game.

Ironic because the original Xenoblade wasn't even supposed to be a Xeno game :p

Patrick finished it, Vinny, Brad and Alex played a small amount of it IIRC.

Austin may have played it too, don't know. He's pretty into CRPGs though, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah I vaguely remembered Patrick talking about it back when. I was more wondering if anyone current had picked it up since the Enhanced Edition.

It's not like calling the game X would result in less sales, either. Wii U owners will take anything they can get Xenoblade fans wouldn't need the name there to be interested in it, and it's not like the brand is this huge thing. If anything, they'll probably get more people if they treated it as a new IP.

oh i started it earlier, so only a couple hours in

realise i've only seen the tip of the tip of the iceberg but, well, like i said, i did go through the manual and boy, there's some stuff in there

are you in a squad? do we have enough xcx players here to form a gb-gaf squad?

The squad system works a bit different than most guild like systems out there. From what I've gathered, you just join up a squad each time you log into the game.

They let you choose between 3 options, multiplayer focused, single player focused or join a friends squad.

Both squad types are generally the same, it's just that you might get more people that are interested in doing multiplayer stuff in multiplayer focused one.

It's a bit different but it works. We just have to join each others squad depending on who's playing at the time.

I could have done a better job at explaining this but I'm playing the game atm 😓

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me over PM or something. I finally feel like I've got all the mechanics down.

This Xenoblade CX talk...
aP9m9ya.gif

Soon.

DOS' release was around the time they were experimenting with "chat input" to decide what they played during livestreams. It took the collective effort of Giant Bomb's userbase to get them to launch it at all, and in the end it was only Patrick that actually played it to completion.

And now GB's userbase is trying again with the Witcher 3 (and to a lesser extent, Tales From the Borderlands) and it's not doing much.

It's not like calling the game X would result in less sales, either. Wii U owners will take anything they can get Xenoblade fans wouldn't need the name there to be interested in it, and it's not like the brand is this huge thing. If anything, they'll probably get more people if they treated it as a new IP.

The X name is already taken.

all i know is the squad stuff gives you benefits so i wanna be using it

i'll look into how it exactly works again. in the meantime, add me! nnid: windjamming

Guess we already have each other added somehow!

Man, I shouldn't be surprised at all the Link and Cloud named avatars but it still gets me whenever I see them out in the world.

Wish I could find Austin's character out there and invite him to my party.

justjim89

I've started Divinity like 3 times and only made it 4 or 5 hours in, not even outside of the first town. I still intend to get into it now that the Enhanced Edition is out. But Wasteland 2 DX and Pillars of Eternity both came out this year and those are some great fucking RPGs that GB also kinda slept on. Can't really blame them though those games take time and probably a degree more focus than your average game these days.

That being said, I was never a CRPG guy before and those games really got their hooks in me.

I've started Divinity like 3 times and only made it 4 or 5 hours in, not even outside of the first town. I still intend to get into it now that the Enhanced Edition is out. But Wasteland 2 DX and Pillars of Eternity both came out this year and those are some great fucking RPGs that GB also kinda slept on. Can't really blame them though those games take time and probably a degree more focus than your average game these days.

I had a hard time getting into it in the original version, but the Enhanced Edition sucked me in in a BIG way. The gamepad controls are brilliant, plus full voicing, plus additional weapon types really made it all work for me.

Also you spend a lot of time in that first map, so don't feel like you aren't making progress.

I gotta say, if a couple years ago you told me someday I'd see a video that featured R-Truth and Tyler Breeze playing Windjammers, I'd tell you you were out of your goddamn mind. The world is weird.

And add me to the list of people making their way through Xenoblade Chronicles X. Really liking it so far. Austin wasn't kidding when he kept saying "there's a lot here" during the Quick Look. It's a bit overwhelming in spots, especially when I'm in NLA. Once I'm focused on a task in the open world, however, the game really clicks and is a really satisfying package top to bottom. I've been really enjoying the exploration aspect of planting those nodes and coming across the various types of artifacts. There's also something really cool about how the wildlife goes about their business around you for the most part. It goes a long way in making it seem like a living, breathing world rather than an area populated with things to slaughter. The gigantic dinosaur-looking things, the herds of weird not-quite-antelopes sprinting past, the huge flying guys... it all comes together in a really cool way. Very striking.

My NNID is jets1256, I'd love for you guys to add me to your squads, if that's how it works? I need to look deeper into the online aspects. I've been putting it off mainly because 90% of the time I get a connection error when I boot the game. Anyone else been having issues on that front?

Megasoum

Banned
FUCK I love Demo Derby... It really is the best Premium feature.

Edit: I'm really glad I backed the Insert Coin documentary... First kickstarted I ever backed. The dude is releasing some interview clips already and it's great. So many old school Mortal Kombat info.

daydream

Banned
lin just wanted to show me her skell fanfic, best new character of 2015

ok, she's no jenks, but she's still fun

My NNID is jets1256, I'd love for you guys to add me to your squads, if that's how it works? I need to look deeper into the online aspects. I've been putting it off mainly because 90% of the time I get a connection error when I boot the game. Anyone else been having issues on that front?

added ya

new los angeles detective team is happening

yami4ct

I said it yesterday by my NNID is yami4ct if anyone wants to add me for XCX. I'm not at the squad stuff yet, but I should be able to get their fairly soon I'd imagine.

If we're talking best new character, let me introduce you to the final boss of Splatoon's single player.

DJ Octavio
latest

He's incredible.

added ya

new los angeles detective team is happening

I'm hoping there's enough space for me to change my greeting to "If I did THIS, would that mean anything to you?".

And yes, that Skell fan fiction line was incredibly endearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom