• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
'barance'

This logo has a touch of the 2012 olympics to it

17VJj2F.jpg

Jintor

Mmmmmm, that feeling of fallout 4 autodetecting everything to ultra once you've finished upgrading your PC.

you might still want to turn shadow rendering distance down to like half though cos even if it autodetects as good my pc started struggling when i got to boston proper

Jintor

i'm glad i get to see another concert but goddamn i want to see another live someday. this time with friends

/edit woah i haven't heard this song before.

//edit wait, is this the tempura kidz cross song?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
you might still want to turn shadow rendering distance down to like half though cos even if it autodetects as good my pc started struggling when i got to boston proper

Eh, it seems to run pretty ok. Still doesn't actually look all that great though. :p

Jintor

oh yeah fallout 4 still looks like a fucking mess

/edit i'm very confused, i don't recognise this song from the albums but i have a distinct memory of doing this dumb dance move at the live, so i must've heard it before. I think it's the tempura kidz song i guess? I could just check but i'm watching this live

Jintor

Hmm, must've only heard it in concert then.

Speaking of which, this is a much better visual experience than being in a crowd, but the audio is much less punchy. *speaks the obvious*

Patryn

Thanks, I remember passionate posts about that game from you but not which side you were on. Now I know.

I'm trying very hard to adhere to the age-old philosophy of if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all when it comes to games. Pretty much the only game I've extensively railed against on GAF is Mass Effect 2, and I even still really like that game.

That doesn't mean I haven't said I dislike some games, but I understand that just because I dislike a game doesn't mean others won't love it.

Antiwhippy

I'm trying very hard to adhere to the age-old philosophy of if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all when it comes to games. Pretty much the only game I've extensively railed against on GAF is Mass Effect 2, and I even still really like that game.

That doesn't mean I haven't said I dislike some games, but I understand that just because I dislike a game doesn't mean others won't love it.

I dunno, I feel that it's perfectly fine to talk about your dislikes with certain products and there's certainly non-dickish ways to speak about your dislikes. Echo chambers where "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!" aren't really that great either.

Patryn

I dunno, I feel that it's perfectly fine to talk about your dislikes with certain products and there's certainly non-dickish ways to speak about your dislikes. Echo chambers where "EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!" aren't really that great either.

True.

I've just been confronted by posters who have hounded me because I have said I like certain games, who have basically outright accused me of lying because they feel it's literally impossible for a person to like a certain game. It's made me a bit wary about being overly negative about games.

danm999

Eh, it seems to run pretty ok. Still doesn't actually look all that great though. :p

It doesn't look all that hot on any rig.

Even with SLI 970 (which you have to fiddle to get to work, since the game doesn't support SLI or Crossfire natively) and with a high res texture pack installed, it's very meh.

Syndicate, Arkham Knight, Witcher 3 all look markedly better.

Antiwhippy

It doesn't look all that hot on any rig.

Even with SLI 970 (which you have to fiddle to get to work, since the game doesn't support SLI or Crossfire natively) and with a high res texture pack installed, it's very meh.

Syndicate, Arkham Knight, Witcher 3 all look markedly better.

Man, you know it's bad when a game from 2012 looks better.

hamchan

Finished the whole season Tales from the Borderlands. Uh...yeah, that game deserves to be in the top 5 GOTY. Just outstanding writing and direction. Fantastic comedy, a cast of characters that I feel really attached to now because of how well developed they are over the course of the story, some really heartfelt moments, and a plot that never lost its great pacing. Camera angles and transitions were just on point the whole game too.

Once again I have to say it's the best thing Telltale has ever done. I think Gearbox owe a lot to this Telltale team because it's brought me back into the whole Borderlands franchise after I felt sick of it and never wanted to go back 30 hours into Borderlands 2.

It's actually a big shame that none of the Giant Bomb guys got around to playing it, besides Austin doing the first ep on his Extra Life stream, because this is one of the best games of the year.

Is it just me, or did it kinda sound like Jeff didn't realize that a real FF7 remake was being developed?

It sounded like he was confusing the PC port of FFVII that came to the PS4 and the remake, yeah.

To be fair, this was recorded weeks ago so the FFVIIr wasn't quite in the spotlight like it has been in the last few days.

Antiwhippy

I kind of don't understand why people think pre-jeff Demo derbies as being weak?

Quite a number of my favourite ones are pre-jeff.

I kind of don't understand why people think pre-jeff Demo derbies as being weak?

Quite a number of my favourite ones are pre-jeff.

My problem with them is that Drew has zero history with the PSX so he brings nothing to these discs in a historical sense. Dan has the perspective that I have (someone who was a young teenager when the PSX came out and played a ton of it) and Jeff brings the experience of being someone in the industry during this era.

It's that they all complement each other rather well. It's not that the drew and dan demo derbies weren't good, it's that the inclusion of jeff makes them all the more better

Sure, but then you also have to remember that they also did Star Ocean 4.

you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig

Antiwhippy

Eh, I kinda value that perspective seeing that I didn't grow up with that generation either. Mostly grew up on the PS2 and original Xbox for my consoles.

Eh, I kinda value that perspective seeing that I didn't grow up with that generation either. Mostly grew up on the PS2 and original Xbox for my consoles.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't appreciate drew's lack of experience. It's more that it's a better fit now that he's with two other peeps who did play these games actively during that generation. Jeff helps balance that stuff out. For example, I enjoyed hearing drew's genuine curiosity regarding the hype surrounding FFVII around its release and hearing both dan and jeff discuss that a bit.

It was kinda funny to see Drew struggle with the PSX controller when he first started playing MGS1, though. Poor guy had to fight both the controller and the controls of MGS1 all at once, hah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom