• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strax

I kind of don't understand why people think pre-jeff Demo derbies as being weak?

Quite a number of my favourite ones are pre-jeff.

100% what shortsFortallPeople said

My problem with them is that Drew has zero history with the PSX so he brings nothing to these discs in a historical sense. Dan has the perspective that I have (someone who was a young teenager when the PSX came out and played a ton of it) and Jeff brings the experience of being someone in the industry during this era.

It's that they all complement each other rather well. It's not that the drew and dan demo derbies weren't good, it's that the inclusion of jeff makes them all the more better

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't appreciate drew's lack of experience. It's more that it's a better fit now that he's with two other peeps who did play these games actively during that generation. Jeff helps balance that stuff out. For example, I enjoyed hearing drew's genuine curiosity regarding the hype surrounding FFVII around its release and hearing both dan and jeff discuss that a bit.

It was kinda funny to see Drew struggle with the PSX controller when he first started playing MGS1, though. Poor guy had to fight both the controller and the controls of MGS1 all at once, hah.

Alright, I can understand that perspective, and don't get me wrong, I enjoy that dynamic that Jeff brings as well.

For me though demo Derby is for me to discover how fucking hilarious the 90s were seeing that I was too young to really remember most of it. In that regard there's still nothing that tops the super diesel PlayStation truck.

Patryn

It sounded like he was confusing the PC port of FFVII that came to the PS4 and the remake, yeah.

To be fair, this was recorded weeks ago so the FFVIIr wasn't quite in the spotlight like it has been in the last few days.

I also get the sense that Jeff couldn't really give a fuck about FF7. I don't think he was that enamored with it when it was new, much less now.

I still kind of wish that they had played Underground Issue 2, which had the FF7 demo. I played the shit out of that issue, being one of the people who got it specifically for the FF7 demo.

I also get the sense that Jeff couldn't really give a fuck about FF7. I don't think he was that enamored with it when it was new, much less now.

I still kind of wish that they had played Underground Issue 2, which had the FF7 demo. I played the shit out of that issue, being one of the people who got it specifically for the FF7 demo.

My playstation came with the FFVII demo disc packed it. It was a complete surprise as nowhere on the box did it list that it was included.

I mustve played that thing a dozen times, it was so good hah

kingocfs

It's raining.

In December.

When soon it is Christmas.

What

the

fuck

world

is wrong

Whatever...christmas sucks anyway

wO25Eo3.gif

Strax

I've never understood hiding demos/videos behind codes on a demo discs. Its only purpose is to sell you the stuff on the disc so hiding it makes no sense.

Alright, I can understand that perspective, and don't get me wrong, I enjoy that dynamic that Jeff brings as well.

For me though demo Derby is for me to discover how fucking hilarious the 90s were seeing that I was too young to really remember most of it. In that regard there's still nothing that tops the super diesel PlayStation truck.

I'm mostly in it for Drew. You can never guess what he played or not so it's great seeing or should I say hearing his reactions. Jeff adds some great history to all of it though so, both are good to me.

Also, Slain is releasing tomorrow on PC. I'm personally waiting for consoles but damn does it look insane.

Slain

It's raining.

In December.

When soon it is Christmas.

What

the

fuck

world

is wrong

Whatever...christmas sucks anyway

I live in a christian minority area so there's like next to no holiday decorations and it's barely dipped below the 50s, what is even happening

SomberOwl

Also, Slain is releasing tomorrow on PC. I'm personally waiting for consoles but damn does it look insane.

That game looks pretty cool. It's not a rogue like is it?

Nvm doesn't look like one. The description was brief.

Also there are actually a lot of exciting smaller games for the crew to look at over the next couple months without any big releases.

Zaph

I've never understood hiding demos/videos behind codes on a demo discs. Its only purpose is to sell you the stuff on the disc so hiding it makes no sense.

It was to sell you something - the next issue where they would print them.

Slain
Not a fan of pixel art usually, but that looks great.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
getting us all hyped then pulling the rug out

it looks amazing. Hope it plays well

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Vinny's leaving?

Yep, packed up his things and left Giant Bomb.

You won't see Brad stepping foot on the ol' Giant Bomb floor anymore either.

In fact, I think the whole crew has stepped down with him.

Lelcar

when will the giant bomb explode?
Has it been explained why Brad is always wearing a hat now?
Yes, we need backstory on this new character development. Also, where is the Taco Bell-gate subplot between Vinny and Dan going to go? I liked the Small Business Man mini series last week, that was cool.

Zaph

Surely games > magazine

Magazines, even official ones, didn't exist as a philanthropic effort for the gaming industry, they needed to increase their own distribtuion and (at the time) had the clout to convince publishers to provide 'secret' content.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
My problem with them is that Drew has zero history with the PSX so he brings nothing to these discs in a historical sense. Dan has the perspective that I have (someone who was a young teenager when the PSX came out and played a ton of it) and Jeff brings the experience of being someone in the industry during this era.

It's that they all complement each other rather well. It's not that the drew and dan demo derbies weren't good, it's that the inclusion of jeff makes them all the more better

Bingo. This is exactly what makes Demo Derby work - the 3 different perspectives.

daydream

Banned
catching up on bombcasts and they just mentioned what i assume must have been glitches' email about download speeds and i can't seem to find that discussion

they mention it on the 10/13 cast so i went back to the 10/06 cast to relisten but yeah, no dice. a timestamp would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom