• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
vertical orientation am i right??

up top, baby

tumblr_lghcklrhbb1qc5n5jo1_500.gif

I don't know why but the Rez Infinite section on the bombcast made me really want to read Neuromancer. Is Neuromancer good? Has it aged well?

What cyberpunk/noir scifi have you read? If you are at all interested in the genre it's worth it just from a 'well this is where it all started perspective'. If you are looking for lots of cool stuff happening in the matrix (since you were prompted by Rez), there's not actually a ton of action that happens there (from what I remember from about 5 years ago). It's more of a pulpy inscrutable noir story, with the crazy cyberpunk twists that make it famous. It ages as well as your willing to buy into that type of story, I can totally see it being a real rough read if you don't want to go for a trip.

daydream

Banned
yeah, Croc is alright

I'm not swooning over it like some of you are with Tales from the Borderlands (which is also "alright")

i have more experience with croc 2, personally. but yeah, not saying it's a masterpiece or anything - just a 3d platformer to feel relatively good about, and i have some personal affection for it top of that

So what's the best album to start on with these Chvrches folks?

all their stuff sounds the same to me but shh

I was randomly thinking about different E3 press conferences the gang might go back and talk over and I almost forgot the E3 where Sony spent a lot of time on Wonderbook and how it would change how kids play with video games. I think this was before Skylanders and I'm pretty sure the demo ended up being a complete mess... Weird how I never heard about that thing after that E3... Looking at Wikipedia they only put out 4 games for it. Can't remember what they gang said about it at the time though.

Book-of-Spells.gif

Megasoum

Banned
I was randomly thinking about different E3 press conferences the gang might go back and talk over and I almost forgot the E3 where Sony spent a lot of time on Wonderbook and how it would change how kids play with video games. I think this was before Skylanders and I'm pretty sure the demo ended up being a complete mess... Weird how I never heard about that thing after that E3... Looking at Wikipedia they only put out 4 games for it. Can't remember what they gang said about it at the time though.

Book-of-Spells.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KYuWEaqU9E

Both albums are good but IMO the first one is a bit better. I REALLY love some of the songs (Gun, Nightsky and Science/Vision are my favorites).
Cool, I didn't realize they'd only had 2 albums.
all their stuff sounds the same to me but shh
I'll be the judge of that!

I remember feeling bad for that lady doing the stage demo, but she stayed calm and worked through it. True professional Wonderbookswoman.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
yeah, Croc is alright

I'm not swooning over it like some of you are with Tales from the Borderlands (which is also "alright")
Croc was amazing for someone who's parents didn't want to buy a console.
I only had a PC when I was a kid and seeing Croc made me want to write a letter to its makers to port the game on PC (I was ~10 at the time).

You can imagine how surprised and hyped I got when it was actually released on PC a while later. I remember making my parents buy me a PC gamepad for it.

As far as I remember Croc 2 was much better, mainly control-wise, but I didn't spend much time with it.

Megasoum

Banned
It kinda suck to have to re-do that first 1.5h of TftB but MAN that intro is nice (the whole credits with music and late title card)... Those scenes are always great in the Borderlands series and this one doesn't dissapoint.

Also, as much as I enjoy this game it kinda makes me want to play an actually Borderlands game again.

daydream

Banned
just made my second gb wiki edit ever, added xcx to the late title card page (it's a pretty good late title card)

first one was adding kirby and the rainbow curse to the kirby series page

I just had a sudden realization that Broken Age "came out" this year. Think it will be uttered even once during the GOTY podcasts, in any context? I'd still really like to finish it. I never even completed part 1.

they really dug part 1 but i really don't remember much discussion on part 2. doubt it's gonna get more than a mention

Bowlie

Banned
It kinda suck to have to re-do that first 1.5h of TftB but MAN that intro is nice (the whole credits with music and late title card)... Those scenes are always great in the Borderlands series and this one doesn't dissapoint.

Also, as much as I enjoy this game it kinda makes me want to play an actually Borderlands game again.

Why are you playing it again? Broken save or something?

Megasoum

Banned
Why are you playing it again? Broken save or something?

Paid 15$ for it on Steam last week. Played the first 1.5h with weird controller issues (the game is kidna fucked when playing with a wireless XB1 controller).

Bought it today on PS4 for 3.75$ and got the 14$ refund on Steam. So not only did I save a lot of money but I also got a version without the controller issues. Now I just need to catch back up to where I was.

def sim

Oh...lol... Oh well... Anyway too late lol. I still saved the money so that's great.

Not the end of the world to redo the first part since I can pick different dialogue choices. Just too bad you can't skip any cutscenes.

Yeah, hah, you still come out ahead for sure.

they really dug part 1 but i really don't remember much discussion on part 2. doubt it's gonna get more than a mention

All I remember is a spoiler being dropped out of nowhere on the Bombcast, although I don't even recall what it was now. Would they consider it for most disappointing game? I guess they didn't have big expectations, so probably not.

Bowlie

Banned
Paid 15$ for it on Steam last week. Played the first 1.5h with weird controller issues (the game is kidna fucked when playing with a wireless XB1 controller).

Bought it today on PS4 for 3.75$ and got the 14$ refund on Steam. So not only did I save a lot of money but I also got a version without the controller issues. Now I just need to catch back up to where I was.

Oh, I didn't know it had this problem. At least you didn't go further in the game!

(you guys really are having me itching to buy this game)

i completely forgot about the fun little mini games in the dragon ball z budokai loading screens until this bombcast

i also forgot how much i loved those games.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh cool... I died during one of the quicktime event combat scene and now the game froze on the Game Over screen (no prompts or anything)... Good old Telltale lol

Edit: WTF, restarted the game and it just happened again.

Croc was amazing for someone who's parents didn't want to buy a console.
I only had a PC when I was a kid and seeing Croc made me want to write a letter to its makers to port the game on PC (I was ~10 at the time).

You can imagine how surprised and hyped I got when it was actually released on PC a while later. I remember making my parents buy me a PC gamepad for it.

As far as I remember Croc 2 was much better, mainly control-wise, but I didn't spend much time with it.

Croc's cool because it's a decent game that scratches my "3D platformers with a linear structure" itch, which doesn't really happen too often.

StoveOven

Banned
All I remember is a spoiler being dropped out of nowhere on the Bombcast, although I don't even recall what it was now. Would they consider it for most disappointing game? I guess they didn't have big expectations, so probably not.

I remember Vinny seeming pretty disappointed in it. It might get brought up, but I doubt it wins or is a runner up for anything

Broken age act 1 is terrific

Act 2 is not so hot. It reuses a ton of environments from the first act and has some fucked up stupid ass puzzles in it that quickly remind you of why adventure games died off in the late 90s.

So when you get to act 2 just set those expectations real low and you'll be alright.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Broken age act 1 is terrific

Act 2 is not so hot. It's reuses a ton of environments from the first act and has some fucked up stupid ass puzzles in it that quickly remind you of why adventure games died off in the late 90s.

So when you get to act 2 just set those expectations real low and you'll be alright.

Just like life.

Jintor

Huh, I just noticed Austin likes to end his articles with "but what do you think" kind of paragraphs quite often. I don't know how I feel about that.

if we're talking verbal tics, austin's "do you know what i mean" on his RPG podcast really stands out in my brain. But that's what happens when you listen to like 20 or 25 episodes in a month or so

Lelcar

I'll get on this sinking ship with you. TftB is a fun romp, but it is nowhere near top ten GOTY material for me, not even close. People in here seem to be flipping out over this game. It's fine.

justjim89

This is entirely off-topic, but apart from my searching through the steam and gog forums for the game I'm not sure where else to ask: Anyone find the Director's Cut of Wasteland 2 on PC a whole lot less stable? Crashing on boot up, crashing on loading, freezes after any command or camera shift in-game, the whole thing feels like a mess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Haven't listened to the Bombcast yet, but when I'm playing JC3 I almost always have a Twitch stream or a podcast going as well... Game doesn't hold my attention enough on it's own, but is still enjoyable.

I feel like I've done this for a LOT of games this year, and it's kind of worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom