• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Destiny in the top 10 is a lock

top of page?
here, have a Flash gif

itcPU5y.gif

Alucrid

Banned
if brad isn't trolling and got the taken king on a list this year, he'll be the best member of giantbomb. that hair style change did wonders.

Zornack

Jeff had Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition in his top 10 last year but it wasn't in the overall top 10, imagine we will see something like that with Brad.

Yeah, I can't remember why it didn't make the top 10 though. Did they disqualify it or did it just not have enough support?

yami4ct

Yeah, I can't remember why it didn't make the top 10 though. Did they disqualify it or did it just not have enough support?

Not enough support. Who knows what would've happened if it did get a significant push. It's possible (and I would say, probable) someone would put up the Expansion Pack/GotY version point and get it DQed.

JamboGT

I was thinking that The Taken King would be in the same vein, not being a "new" game.

I genuinely would put it in the top ten of the year I have to say, not just trying to troll you all. Hell, I did 55 Sparrow races today!

danm999

If Brad got a piece of DLC on a top ten list in a year as stacked as 2015.

Well my gawd what a boss.

Though I think they're trolling us all to plug GOTY

Follow the money

Yo

I'm never going to find dandelion at this rate. Nearly 30 hours in and the most I've seen of him is in a flashback.

This witcher game is going to be long as hell, huh? I had finished the witcher 2 in 25 hours and I was doing side quests and stuff, this game might be too damn big

Teddified

Yo

I'm never going to find dandelion at this rate. Nearly 30 hours in and the most I've seen of him is in a flashback.

This witcher game is going to be long as hell, huh? I had finished the witcher 2 in 25 hours and I was doing side quests and stuff, this game might be too damn big

Yeah I did all sidequests and all the ? locations and it took me like 110 hours. Then the DLC added about 8-10 hours.

Maybe I have some of the times wrong since I have 140 hours played on steam.

Maybe 128 or so for the main game and the rest was doing everything in the DLC.

Anyway it's a long game even without doing all the ? stuff and sidequest, though sidequests are usually great.

I've only been doing side quests that seem to have some decent story to them, like Fencing Lessons or Tower of Mice for example. I just don't have the time for how much content this game has.

Probably a good way to go about it, some of the other ones are good one off stories but not essential.

Yeah I did all sidequests and all the ? locations and it took me like 110 hours. Then the DLC added about 8-10 hours.

Maybe I have some of the times wrong since I have 140 hours played on steam.
I've only been doing side quests that seem to have some decent story to them, like Fencing Lessons or Tower of Mice for example. I just don't have the time for how much content this game has.

Anjin M

I don't understand why Brad even wanted it on the top 10. Everybody but him hated it. If everybody can get their fav. game on the list no matter what the others say why not just let everbody pick one game and work the list from there.

That's not true at all. Jeff grudgingly liked it and it was on Drew's Top Ten list.

I've said it time and again: if there was one game that shouldn't have been on the top ten, it's Advanced Warfare.

Yo

It took me three full nights of playing to get through the Dandelion quest. Which I liked because I like Dandelion from the books, but I can see it being rough for anyone else.

The only things that I would recommend skipping are horse races, fistfights, question marks (clearing out all of them sounds insane to me), and treasure hunts that don't involve gear you want.

Everything else is worth doing. Even random witcher contracts are often incredible. But if you're gonna pick and choose, focus on the sidequests given to you by major characters.

It took me three full nights of playing to get through the Dandelion quest. Which I liked because I like Dandelion from the books, but I can see it being rough for anyone else.
I liked dandelion from the first two games so I have no qualms with the character, it's just that this particular quest line seems pretty bloated. I don't want to have to do a thousand things for a thousand people just for them to tell me they saw a cloud in the sky that kinda looked like dandelion 3 moons ago or some shit.

But I'll keep on trucking, I feel my love for the witcher 2 makes me want to keep chugging along in tw3. But so far, tw2 has been a better experience overall.

Teddified

In Witcher games I like to talk to every single person and get every single dialog option I can. So I'm probably a crazy person.

I rarely go though games in a hurry. I like to do basically everything I can that I enjoy or have an interest in seeing. So I end up 100% games a lot because of it.

I basically don't want games to end. And most of the time when a game ends it's somewhat of a melancholy moment for me.

I like dandelion from the first two games so I have no qualms with the character, it's just that this particular quest line seems pretty bloated. I don't want to have to do a thousand things for a thousand people just for them to tell me they saw a cloud in the sky that kinda looked like dandelion 3 moons ago or some shit.

But I'll keep on trucking, I feel my love for the witcher 2 makes me want to keep chugging along in tw3. But so far, tw2 has been a better experience overall.

It sounds like you're in the "talk to 6 women about Dandelion" quest, right? Because that is definitely the weakest quest in the main arc and things pick up considerably in Novigrad after that once you meet a certain character.

Also, Triss's sidequests are awesome, so do those.

danm999

That's not true at all. Jeff grudgingly liked it and it was on Drew's Top Ten list.

I've said it time and again: if there was one game that shouldn't have been on the top ten, it's Advanced Warfare.

Yeah some lunatic did the maths.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1APohBou2jzBjgspmzmulF4SX2dJ1Tbd-18HGvnuGZYA/edit?pli=1#gid=0

I guess what it doesn't quantify though is the dislike value that Alex, Patrick, Dan and Jason had for it.

It also doesn't really rank preferences properly if you ask me. I imagine Drew would want his #1 game on the list more than the marginal points he's contributing to his #8 game.

It sounds like you're in the "talk to 6 women about Dandelion" quest, right? Because that is definitely the weakest quest in the main arc and things pick up considerably in Novigrad after that once you meet a certain character.

Also, Triss's sidequests are awesome, so do those.
Naw, past that. I just dealt with whoreson junior. Now, I'm helping
roche
deal with an insubordination issue.

I'm just finding the main quest not as engaging as tw2. That game starts with really high stakes and kept me coming back the whole time. I'm sorta not really giving a shit about finding ciri and making that particular part of the main quest so long means that I'm just kinda going through the motions. When kings were getting killed and It appears that another witcher framed Geralt, now that was something I gave a crap about.

Anjin M

Yeah some lunatic did the maths.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1APohBou2jzBjgspmzmulF4SX2dJ1Tbd-18HGvnuGZYA/edit?pli=1#gid=0

I guess what it doesn't quantify though is the dislike value that Alex, Patrick, Dan and Jason had for it.

It also doesn't really rank preferences properly if you ask me. I imagine Drew would want his #1 game on the list more than the marginal points he's contributing to his #8 game.
Yeah, I have a very similar spreadsheet myself. :) Depending on how you weigh the votes, you can also get Shovel Knight to fall off the list in favor of Wolfenstein. So really, you could make the case for either game not deserving a position. But in every scenario, Destiny stays on the list. And if Brad hadn't fluffed his Dota vote, it would be even more decisive.

I liked dandelion from the first two games so I have no qualms with the character, it's just that this particular quest line seems pretty bloated. I don't want to have to do a thousand things for a thousand people just for them to tell me they saw a cloud in the sky that kinda looked like dandelion 3 moons ago or some shit.

It felt to me that the initial man quest (visit the three zones) was just an excuse to let you explore. Afterward, I was much more compelled to mainline the game and didn't feel like I was missing anything.

TTK was good but it wasn't even the best loot shooter related game this year. How embarrassing if that happens.

Okay, so what was the best one?

justjim89

Eating fast food for breakfast is awful because by dinner you can barely have anything without your responsible side guilt tripping you.

Sausage McMuffins are so good though.

Dan will save Giant Bomb, don't worry.

...no, the other one.
The music in XCX isn't as good as the original Xenoblade's, but it also fits X's tone really well. That game is over the top and silly in a lot of ways, so having Sawano go full ham I think works. If you put a XC style soundtrack on X, it wouldn't really work. You can argue there's some massive problems with the audio balance, my god it's TERRIBLE, but I actually dig the soundtrack for what it is.

Haven't heard much of the music yet, but I can agree to this. It has a definite mood and feel that fits right into the game. XBC's majestic orchestras wouldn't do, and worse still, it'd just feel like a retread of XBC. So instead there's... bizarre rap/rock stuff, I guess.

Also, now that I've played XBCX, I can totally see where Austin's Deadly Premonition comparison is coming in. There's some downright goofy characters, in the best way possible. I guess it's the juxtaposition of jolly aburdity against serious affairs that makes it so Deadly Premonition- (or rather, Twin Peaks)-esque. Really fun stuff.

danm999

Can a Brad and Dan filibuster/heel mode tag team overwhelm a Jeff/Alex rules lawyer defence?

Tune in last week of December to find out.

Naw, past that. I just dealt with whoreson junior. Now, I'm helping
roche
deal with an insubordination issue.

I'm just finding the main quest not as engaging as tw2. That game starts with really high stakes and kept me coming the whole time. I'm sorta not really giving a shit about finding ciri and making that particular part of the main quest so long means that I'm just kinda going through the motions. When kings were getting killed and It appears that another witcher framed Geralt, now that was something I have a crap about.

Ah, okay, fair enough. The stakes do get higher later but TW3 almost never focuses on the political intrigue or territorial warfare, it's more just the backdrop for the Geralt/Ciri story. Which is not going to grab everyone but personally I really appreciated the fact that CDPR made the final game in their ambitious fantasy trilogy about a dude just looking for his pseudo-daughter. Not many AAA games do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom