• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Photoshop is okay if youre making something quick and dirty, but anything elaborate is better suited for aftereffects

i tried After Effects years ago but didn't understand any of it. maybe i'll give it another shot. hopefully i'll find better tutorials lol

i use Photoshop already and made basic animated gifs. never tried the crazy ones you guys come up with.

Photoshop is okay if youre making something quick and dirty, but anything elaborate is better suited for aftereffects

As you can see, I never dabbled with this stuff so I guess it's better to invest in After Effects from what I'm reading haha, then that's what I will be doing. They're both from Adobe so yeah.

LiK

As you can see, I never dabbled with this stuff so I guess it's better to invest in After Effects from what I'm reading haha, then that's what I will be doing. They're both from Adobe so yeah.

yea, it'll be fun to be creative with and make stupid stuff to troll the GB crew XD

i tried After Effects years ago but didn't understand any of it. maybe i'll give it another shot. hopefully i'll find better tutorials lol

Yeah after effects is the place to be for silly gif making. I figured out how to use it back in high school simply by watching and then doing many of the Video Copilot tutorials. Even though they are mostly far more complicated stuff than what would most likely ever be required for making dumbs gifs, they were great. He is a great teacher of AE.

yea, it'll be fun to be creative with and make stupid stuff to troll the GB crew XD

As you can see artists or developers usually have better grasp on this than us regular folks because that's what they most likely use regularly for their work. So for us, it's just a matter of investing money and some time to it like any other hobby.

Fobwashed

Alright, time to finally ask who the fuck is that guy? Just some gb super fan or something?

I also find his twitter profile pic hilarious.

I also find my profile pic hilarious. Wife and I went to a famous portrait person during our last trip to Korea. The guy took our pictures and on the spot photoshopped the hell out of them. If I lost 15 pounds and became 10 years younger, that's how I'd look =P

EDIT: This year was super strong gaming wise but that Taken King raid was prolly the funnest thing I played this year. It was grueling and just a great feeling of accomplishment when it was over. The only thing that'd keep it from being my #1 would be that it's an expansion instead of a full standalone release.

LiK

As you can see artists or developers usually have better grasp on this than us regular folks because that's what they most likely use regularly for their work. So for us, it's just a matter of investing money and some time to it like any other hobby.

well, i used Photoshop for years mainly for graphic and web design and illustrations. gifs are a whole new subset of skills.

I also find my profile pic hilarious. Wife and I went to a famous portrait person during our last trip to Korea. The guy took our pictures and on the spot photoshopped the hell out of them. If I lost 15 pounds and became 10 years younger, that's how I'd look =P

EDIT: This year was super strong gaming wise but that Taken King raid was prolly the funnest thing I played this year. It was grueling and just a great feeling of accomplishment when it was over. The only thing that'd keep it from being my #1 would be that it's an expansion instead of a full standalone release.

TTK was fun for 3 months but i hate what the whole game has become with microtransactions, lame events and fucked up loot in raid/PVP. not even in my top 20 this year.

200.gif

well, i used Photoshop for years mainly for graphic and web design and illustrations. gifs are a whole new subset of skills.

Well, nothing is impossible without practice and time, time being the important factor.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Brad questions Mario Maker's status as a game since it's based on old games to weasal destiny into the conversation. Destiny 2015 goty and retroactively 2014 goty

AcridMeat

Banned
I "finished" Undertale? I think? Can someone help clear something up about the neutral ending?
I got to the boss, made the decision (accidentally hit mercy instead of kill, went through the flowey boss, beat him, beat the main boss again, chose kill this time, and flowey was like nueheuheheuehue you can't you're fucked boiii, and I was like SHIIIIT. So I did the boss fight again just to make sure. My question is, do I have to reset to get a different ending? Or is there a way to see the "kill" choice on my own? I don't mind looking up the endings otherwise, and won't be doing a pacifist run.

Game definitely got crazier haha. I thought it was pretty hit and miss, but I do revel in random shit like what happens towards the latter third of the game.
I made a dumb thing.

bradwatchtheworldburn9xrof.gif
This is great hahaha. Going to come in handy in a few weeks.
Mary continues playing SOMA: http://www.twitch.tv/misscliks
Great now I'm watching this instead of Johnny Mnemonic.
This is also great hahaha.

yami4ct

Man, there's a twist fairly early in XCX that's really dumb. I'm undecided on whether it's endearingly dumb or just actually dumb.

Anjin M

Just got done reading that blog post on randomness. That Dragon Warrior TAS broke my mind.

Man, there's a twist fairly early in XCX that's really dumb. I'm undecided on whether it's endearingly dumb or just actually dumb.

Spoiler it. I have to know.

edit://
Does anyone have a link to Patrick doing the Extra Life Mario stage?

Mario Maker Mornings Part 34
Mario Maker Mornings Part 35
Mario Maker Mornings Part 36
Dear Dan Ryckert
Mario Maker Mornings Part 37
Mario Maker Mornings Part 38
Mario Maker Mornings Part 39
Mario Maker Mornings Part 40

Use this link to go right to the winning run.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I "finished" Undertale? I think? Can someone help clear something up about the neutral ending?
I got to the boss, made the decision (accidentally hit mercy instead of kill, went through the flowey boss, beat him, beat the main boss again, chose kill this time, and flowey was like nueheuheheuehue you can't you're fucked boiii, and I was like SHIIIIT. So I did the boss fight again just to make sure. My question is, do I have to reset to get a different ending? Or is there a way to see the "kill" choice on my own? I don't mind looking up the endings otherwise, and won't be doing a pacifist run.

But
playing through the pacifist run
is what makes the game great. If I just played the neutral ending without going through pacifist I wouldn't rate it nearly as highly as I did.

I'm fine with just reading up on the genocide run though.

Learning the implications of each ending and how they affect each other is what made me so obsessed with the game.

yami4ct

Just got done reading that blog post on randomness. That Dragon Warrior TAS broke my mind.

Spoiler it. I have to know.

Alright.

You get damaged saving a friend from a big giant robot and lose your arm. Turns out. You're a robot! You have amnesia and you forgot and your friends all assumed you knew already, even though everybody realizes you have amnesia. Also, literally everybody's a robot and your human bodies are off in stasis controlling them remotely because they wanted to control the ship for a long journey without getting old along the way. Those bodies are stuck out in a damaged part of the ship somewhere and you have to hunt it down before the evil aliens destroy it and kill you.

The more I think about, the more charmingly stupid I find it. They really went all the way.

Anjin M

Alright.

You get damaged saving a friend from a big giant robot and lose your arm. Turns out. You're a robot! You have amnesia and you forgot and your friends all assumed you knew already, even though everybody realizes you have amnesia. Also, literally everybody's a robot and your human bodies are off in stasis controlling them remotely because they wanted to control the ship for a long journey without getting old along the way. Those bodies are stuck out in a damaged part of the ship somewhere and you have to hunt it down before the evil aliens destroy it and kill you.

The more I think about, the more charmingly stupid I find it. They really went all the way.

Ha ha! That's awesome.

Antiwhippy

So it's basically
soma?

Uh, I really don't know how to frame this without making it too spoilery so if you're playing through another big game this year, fair warning.

Alright.

I don't play JRPG's but that sounds pretty dope.

Edit: Only those that are 1) Don't have the chess like battle system(except for Pokemon when I was younger) and 2) If the game released with no other game in sight so I can spend all my time on it.

yami4ct

never would have guessed

Elma is obviously the real lead of this game. The main character feels so tact on so that they can give you someone to customize. The 'dialogue' choices they give you are drivel as well. It's weird. It feels like the protagonist was tagged on a good way through development.

I don't play JRPG's but that sounds pretty dope.

I like the idea of it and there's good concepts there, but the way they present it is really weirdly deadpan. It's all 'oh whoops. We forgot to tell you this totally major point. Honestly, thought you already knew!'

If what I've heard about when you get the robot is right, I should be getting them soon. Time wise, I'm only 15 hours in though and I heard like 30 to get the robot. Either the next mission is real long or people spent way longer with the MMO mission part than I did. Don't feel under leveled or anything.

Super duper excited to get a mech. It's honestly the only thing that got me annoyed over this thing being so not Xenoblade and got me to but it.

What's this?
Alright.

Now I want to play this game.

Dineren

Banned
If what I've heard about when you get the robot is right, I should be getting them soon. Time wise, I'm only 15 hours in though and I heard like 30 to get the robot. Either the next mission is real long or people spent way longer with the MMO mission part than I did. Don't feel under leveled or anything.

Super duper excited to get a mech. It's honestly the only thing that got me annoyed over this thing being so not Xenoblade and got me to but it.

Getting the mech is probably my favorite videogame moment this year. It took me like 35 hours since I pretty much explored the entire world on foot first. Still not sure what I think of the story so far, the way the audio is mixed in cutscenes seems like a pretty big hint that you shouldn't care at all about it which is disappointing after Xenoblade. I really enjoy the combat and exploration though, so it is still turning out to be one of my favorite games this year.

AcridMeat

Banned
But
playing through the pacifist run
is what makes the game great. If I just played the neutral ending without going through pacifist I wouldn't rate it nearly as highly as I did.

I'm fine with just reading up on the genocide run though.

Learning the implications of each ending and how they affect each other is what made me so obsessed with the game.
Well so what I guess I'm really asking is
are the differences in endings solely what plays out in the phone call at the end? Or is there more to it?
I just don't have the drive to want to seek out more of these endings. While the last third was interesting I didn't enjoy playing through it all that much. In particular
the Alphys calling to help gag. It was grating as heck having to stop for nonsense every second. That bit overstayed it's welcome.
Alright.

This sounds really great actually haha. Like my Sci-Fi novels.

yami4ct

Getting the mech is probably my favorite videogame moment this year. It took me like 35 hours since I pretty much explored the entire world on foot first. Still not sure what I think of the story so far, the way the audio is mixed in cutscenes seems like a pretty big hint that you shouldn't care at all about it which is disappointing after Xenoblade. I really enjoy the combat and exploration though, so it is still turning out to be one of my favorite games this year.

The combat is why I'm here right now. Eager to see what the mechs add to it. The world is absolutely gorgeous, but it hasn't been filled with enough interesting stuff to drag me away from doing story and affinity missions. I'm gonna grab a bunch of simple and normal missions and run around the world soon, but that'll mostly be to work on my lesser used party members.

As for the story, if I find cool parts, that's great. If not, I've accepted it's not the focus. It sucks that that's the way it is after XC, but this really isn't a sequel to that game. Once I moved on from that, I was able to get into the game. The audio mix is inexcusable, however. Cannot believe someone let it ship like that.

So wait

Sparrow racing isn't just something you have to have the Taken King for, but is also something available for a limited fucking time?

Destiny continues to be the worst fucking game that could be the best.

yami4ct

So wait

Sparrow racing isn't just something you have to have the Taken King for, but is also something available for a limited fucking time?

Destiny continues to be the worst fucking game that could be the best.

Destiny is a F2P MMO without any sort of energy based Microtransactions. Limited Time events area hallmark of that style. It's fine if that's the only game your gonna be playing, which I think is the majority of Destiny's main audience. It sucks if you want to just hop into it from time to time and see the cool shit. I'm certain they'll rotate popular events in and out regularly to keep the community jazzed up.

Antiwhippy

Well so what I guess I'm really asking is
are the differences in endings solely what plays out in the phone call at the end? Or is there more to it?
I just don't have the drive to want to seek out more of these endings. While the last third was interesting I didn't enjoy playing through it all that much. In particular
the Alphys calling to help gag. It was grating as heck having to stop for nonsense every second. That bit overstayed it's welcome.

Massive differences. The neutral ending has its variations as well, but it's not as pivotal to the meaning of the whole game as the other endings.

Also I'd say that it also hinges on how much you like the characters. It becomes neat without that factor but downright emotional for me because I like the characters quite a lot.

That Xenoblade twist sounds real dumb, I really need to play more of it but trying to juggle Xenoblade, Yakuza 5, Persona 4 and Danganronpa 2 is rough.

Haunted

Is the Avalon unplugged worth watching? I've read something about a rule mistake ruining the game or something? (no spoilers if possible, obviously)

Jintor

i mean let's be serious, a trivial thing like not understanding how to play a game wouldn't make a giant bomb video any better or worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom