• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever voted for the CYOA game did good work. What a game.

j6F8hKi.png

It was him

Haunted

Alright.

You get damaged saving a friend from a big giant robot and lose your arm. Turns out. You're a robot! You have amnesia and you forgot and your friends all assumed you knew already, even though everybody realizes you have amnesia. Also, literally everybody's a robot and your human bodies are off in stasis controlling them remotely because they wanted to control the ship for a long journey without getting old along the way. Those bodies are stuck out in a damaged part of the ship somewhere and you have to hunt it down before the evil aliens destroy it and kill you.

The more I think about, the more charmingly stupid I find it. They really went all the way.
It also explains the creepy animu real doll faces and terrible lip sync! Genius!

Seriously, though, I like the idea generally. While it doesn't explain away some of the dumb stuff, it does explain how you're able to move at about 50 km/h and jump for 10m, which, we as players, simply accept without thinking as exaggerated player movement. That there's a lore explanation for that which actually comes as a surprise/twist does give the game some credit.

The rule mistake happens in the BLLS.

Avalon Unplugged is perfection and all rules are followed.
Oh, that's good to hear!

Why am I not surprised Dan fucked it up.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think Mario Maker is a lock for number 1. I think Dan and especially Jeff will be vocally passionate about it, while the worst anybody else can be against it is indifferent.
That Mario Maker notifications remark by Brad in the latest Bombcast sealed it for me, yeah. He's still a little bitter about what happened.

jaina

I'm still not convinced in either direction. And I think what ends up in places 3-10 is far more interesting, also Hottest Mess / Most Disappointing will be fun "rants".

danm999

I'm really interested to see what Brad's GOTY actually is (barring the ineligible stuff like DOTA 2).

Because if not Mario Maker I guess it has to be Metal Gear. But he seemed a bit disillusioned in the MGSV spoilercast with aspects of the way that game played out compared to Jeff and Dan so that's strange.

I guess he might have made an argument for Taken King but man even he might think its way too ambitious to get that as GOTY.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
That Mario Maker notifications remark by Brad in the latest Bombcast sealed it for me, yeah. He's still a little bitter about what happened.

I don't care about Mario Maker but how can anyone be bitter about Mario Maker as GOTY? Seems like one of the best outcomes possible. I don't really have anything bad to say about that game, it's just not for me. It's a game-ass videogame that's brought a ton of entertainment even for someone not playing it.

hamchan

I felt disappointed in the Taken King after everyone hyped it up. Even if it was allowed to be on the top 10 list there are way too many games out this year that deserve to be on there ahead of it.

danm999

I don't care about Mario Maker but how can anyone be bitter about Mario Maker as GOTY? Seems like one of the best outcomes possible. I don't really have anything bad to say about that game, it's just not for me. It's a game-ass videogame that's brought a ton of entertainment even for someone not playing it.

"I question how much of a game it is".

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
"I question how much of a game it is".

I know, but that literally doesn't make any sense. Not only is that "what is a game" discussion incredibly tiresome, Mario Maker is very plainly the MOST game!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
This is why I am excited to see what argument is made against Mario Maker if it happens.

If Brad pulls out the "but how much of a game is it?!" bullshit I bet he'll get shouted down by Dan, Jeff and Austin pretty quickly.

danm999

If Brad pulls out the "but how much of a game is it?!" bullshit I bet he'll get shouted down by Dan, Jeff and Austin pretty quickly.

I think the reaction he got on the Bombcast would make him hesitant to try that tact again.

But what other argument can you make against that game? That the search filters aren't 100%?

demidar

I think the reaction he got on the Bombcast would make him hesitant to try that tact again.

But what other argument can you make against that game? That the search filters aren't 100%?

Man I don't think that would stop him.

All's fair in love and GotY discussion.

Zaph

There is definitely a genuine argument for how much of a game is it out of the box, for the simple reason (as Jeff himself has mentioned) that the average person won't share GB's high-profile experience and likely won't get to see people playing their own levels. No shouting down needed.

I look forward to any existential argument over what GOTY means and is it simply what they enjoyed the most (so other experiences are irrelevant, therefore SMM win) or is it the most recommendable game that year (shaky ground for SMM). If Brad goes that route, Mass Effect 3 could come back to haunt him.

Scizzy

Going down this dark alley had people convinced Rogue Legacy won a couple years ago because Jeff shot a look at Patrick during a UPF. The GOTY discussions are a vault, the guys all have impenetrable poker faces until all is revealed.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There is definitely a genuine argument for how much of a game is it out of the box, for the simple reason (as Jeff himself has mentioned) that the average person won't share GB's high-profile experience and likely won't get to see people playing their own levels. No shouting down needed.

How does that make it less of a game? It's still a *jerkoff motion* argument.

Haunted

"I question how much of a game it is" when talking about the 2D Mario platformer that has more playable levels in it than any other Mario game in history does not deserve consideration.

Other arguments against it are certainly possible, especially when considering it as GOTY, but surely, "how much of a game it is" can not be among them.

daydream

Banned
witcher fans can console themselves

the superior xcx is also getting snubbed, that's just the way the bomb explodes
i'm gonna act like that's a phrase

but who are we kidding, they'll be livid and it's gonna be the best

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I have already prepared multiple angry tweets and tumbles (?) that will go out after GotY hits. That'll teach them.

This is random, but I google searched, Small business man Secret hitler to show a friend, and today google opinion rewards asked me if I was a small business owner. Made me laugh

Patryn

I'm really interested to see what Brad's GOTY actually is (barring the ineligible stuff like DOTA 2).

Because if not Mario Maker I guess it has to be Metal Gear. But he seemed a bit disillusioned in the MGSV spoilercast with aspects of the way that game played out compared to Jeff and Dan so that's strange.

I guess he might have made an argument for Taken King but man even he might think its way too ambitious to get that as GOTY.

I'd almost be willing to bet that Brad's personal number 1 is The Taken King.

I'm 100 percent positive it will make his personal list, and I can't think of another game that captured his attention this year the same way. It basically subsumed Dota.

Also, I realized I'm probably moving pretty damn slow in Fallout. I'm at just over 70 hours and
the only person from the Institute I've met is Kellog, and I happily blew his head off.
I'm guessing I'm not even halfway through the main quest?

Meanwhile, I feel weirdly compelled to keep setting MILAs up everywhere, just to see if there's an end to that quest chain. They're all uniquely named (well... moreso than Cleansing the Commonwealth or the other one the BoS scribe gives you).

Jintor

someone asked me an armour-piercing question and i realised i wasn't actually enjoying fallout 4 at all, had zero hope there was any enjoyment on the horizon, so why the fuck was i even playing it so i stopped

i hope this isn't the start to some dark path of not enjoying videogames at all

chrixter

I used to be envious of their Mario Maker experience until I realized how easy it is to watch people play your levels. You can go from uploading a level to watching multiple people play it live within an hour by submitting it to any streamers who are accepting viewer levels at the time. During North American evenings there are usually at least several dozen Twitch streamers who play viewer levels. It's as easy as typing the level code into a submission form or via chat command.

I've only uploaded a couple levels myself but creating and then watching people play them is the most fun and unique experience I've had in gaming all year. For people who have been really active submitting new levels to streamers, it must be an incredibly satisfying gameplay loop.

It's a shame the Wii U doesn't have Twitch integration because it would've massively benefited Mario Maker.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
someone asked me an armour-piercing question and i realised i wasn't actually enjoying fallout 4 at all, had zero hope there was any enjoyment on the horizon, so why the fuck was i even playing it so i stopped

Buy guilty gear xrd on steam and start loving video games again.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Mass Effect 3 on PC does not have controller support. Does Origin offer refunds?

How about "how the bomb is ticking"?

demidar

That happened to me with Skyrim, and that's why I am much more critical of games wasting my time now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
are you using a single hashtag or a new one for each tumble?

Still working on some hashtags. So far I have:
#Bitchershatewitchers
#MakeTemeriaGreatAgain
#Actuallyitsaboutwitchersingamejournalism
#Witcheristhebestgameeveryoustupidfuckinghacks
#youstink

But I'm still refining them.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, I used to do that, but once I started playing against humans I can't go back.

Holy crap though. I am so glad I upgraded my PC in time for this.

Eh, still, I seriously doubt fallout 4 will be some breaking point for you. Just reevaluate what you love about gaming and then take a break if you need to. I've taken major breaks from the things I love and then came back when I felt like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom