• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

daydream

Banned
tumblr_nwps4pjJu31r96fbco1_400.gif

where is this gif from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVj61gruwg

someone asked me an armour-piercing question and i realised i wasn't actually enjoying fallout 4 at all, had zero hope there was any enjoyment on the horizon, so why the fuck was i even playing it so i stopped

i hope this isn't the start to some dark path of not enjoying videogames at all

I've seen all that needed to be seen in Fallout 4 after five hours and spent the next fifty looking for something new that isn't there. Disappointed in myself more than Fallout 4, really.

Jintor

I've seen all that needed to be seen in Fallout 4 after five hours and spent the next fifty looking for something new that isn't there. Disappointed in myself more than Fallout 4, really.

yeah the exact same kinda feeling.

to be fair there was probably an hour or so where I saw a highway, thought "ooh, highway!" followed it for a while, came across a Mr Gutsy in a plane crash who was too tough for me, hightailed it outta there and was having a pretty good explor-o-time. But that was before I realised there was nowhere interesting to go, and anywhere that was 'interesting' would be severely handicapped by being written fairly boringly and not really having much story beyond "Wow shit got fucked up here a while ago/very recently"

Jintor

Man, I used to do that, but once I started playing against humans I can't go back.

Holy crap though. I am so glad I upgraded my PC in time for this.

Eh, still, I seriously doubt fallout 4 will be some breaking point for you. Just reevaluate what you love about gaming and then take a break if you need to. I've taken major breaks from the things I love and then came back when I felt like it.

tbh this is fairly normal. I tend to oscilate between anime/manga, books, videogames, art, and occasionally writing. I think oddly enough I'm in a tabletop phase right now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, I think that's a fairly healthy approach to take. I've had cycles where I don't touch any games for months. Right now in one in regards to manga, but I feel like getting back into it soon.

LiK

yeah the exact same kinda feeling.

to be fair there was probably an hour or so where I saw a highway, thought "ooh, highway!" followed it for a while, came across a Mr Gutsy in a plane crash who was too tough for me, hightailed it outta there and was having a pretty good explor-o-time. But that was before I realised there was nowhere interesting to go, and anywhere that was 'interesting' would be severely handicapped by being written fairly boringly and not really having much story beyond "Wow shit got fucked up here a while ago/very recently"

no, you have not seen all there is to FO4 from a few hours. trust me.

Jintor

i did have a pretty good time watching like 20 brotherhood idiots run straight into a super mutant camp, lasers going everywhere.

of course they are all idiot stupid bethesda bots so three of them got stuck on scenery and one of the mutants glitched out and was T-pose floating through the air, so

no, you have not seen all there is to FO4 from a few hours. trust me.

it's not about whether or not i've seen it all, it's about whether it's worth seeing or not

Sylas

someone asked me an armour-piercing question and i realised i wasn't actually enjoying fallout 4 at all, had zero hope there was any enjoyment on the horizon, so why the fuck was i even playing it so i stopped

No it's just the nice path of not being wow'd by Bethesda's attempts at open world games. There are better games than Bethesda games if you're looking for the things that used to make them interesting.

Edit: I think Fallout 4 would've been a lot more compelling if it had an interesting progression system or something neat that you knew you were working towards. Same with the Witcher 3. It doesn't have to be level-ups, but knowing that there's a goal to reach that isn't just relying on you being "immersed" in the story goes a long way towards giving me a reason to play an open-world game. Dragon Age was pretty rad until I got the specialized classes I wanted and Xenoblade Chronicles X is super cool when you're working towards your mecha and then working towards getting your mecha to fly.

hamchan

Sounds similar to the Giant Bomb crew on the Witcher 3.

Jintor

i was flagging by the end of witcher 3 but their writing and story and characters are genuinely interesting, unlike everybody but piper and nick in fo4 (and nick is literally a collection of cliches with a great voice actor). and of course geralt is, like, an actual character, unlike blando-bland-bot sole survivor.

Jintor

neither

but at some point i realised i had spent, like, >50 hours chasing something I didn't even believe was there and I had to sit back and think "wait, what the hell am I doing"

LiK

it's not about whether or not i've seen it all, it's about whether it's worth seeing or not

i think they're worth seeing. some nice surprises and twists. hell, i'll spoil it for you if you want! let's do the GOTY discussions right here right now!

neither

but at some point i realised i had spent, like, >50 hours chasing something I didn't even believe was there and I had to sit back and think "wait, what the hell am I doing"

is this about TW3? the main quest was just a carrot. the sidequests was wherethe meat was. lots of great sidequests with memorable characters.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
neither

Y'see, I always stop before I get to that point. :p

Once it stops grabbing me I'll just put them down and never look back.

Jintor

There's probably an interesting discussion to be had about how worthwhile surprises and twists are if you care nothing for the world or characters

LiK

There's probably an interesting discussion to be had about how worthwhile surprises and twists are if you care nothing for the world or characters

where did you stop? what companions have joined you? if you were just wondering around randomly for hours not doing the quests then you are missing out. Brad said he made the same mistake when he played it in the beginning.

daydream

Banned
the writing was on the wall with fo4 (at least as soon as it got in people's hands)

people who bought into it got only themselves to blame, really

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Bethesda should be embarrassed by the comparison between the Witcher and Fallout 4.

Given the comparative resources, the disparity in quality shouldn't be so.

hamchan

Giant Bomb GOTY spoilers:

1. The Witcher 3
2. Tales From the Borderlands
3. Life is Strange
4. Xenoblade Chronicles X
5. Soma
6. Yakuza 5
7. The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky Second Chapter

where did you stop? what companions have joined you? if you were just wondering around randomly for hours not doing the quests then you are missing out. Brad said he made the same mistake when he played it in the beginning.

So I've only played like 8-ish hours of Fallout 4 but as soon as I tried bringing Codworth along and saw him blocking every doorway and alerting all the enemies I just grabbed the Lone Wanderer perk and stopped using companions at all.

LiK

Nah, I really don't think the characters are good enough to add any, well, character to the world.

you shut your mouth! Nick Valentine is a great character especially after you learn more about him after maxing out your bond with him.

So I've only played like 8-ish hours of Fallout 4 but as soon as I tried bringing Codworth along and saw him blocking every doorway and alerting all the enemies I just grabbed the Lone Wanderer perk and stopped using companions at all.

Codsworth sucks. i never let him follow me. he's annoying.

Sylas

Honestly I think this post kinda summarizes the biggest problem with FO4. Bethesda games are meant to be wandering-style games where you can easily stumble onto something interesting. If I wanted to putz along a more linear experience I'd play a far more linear game. There shouldn't be a "right" way to play an open world game.

LiK

Honestly I think this post kinda summarizes the biggest problem with FO4. Bethesda games are meant to be wandering-style games where you can easily stumble onto something interesting. If I wanted to putz along a more linear experience I'd play a far more linear game. There shouldn't be a "right" way to play an open world game.

you can stumble into a lot of sidequests. depends on where you go. i found some pretty good ones just by wandering around.

FO4 might not even be in my top ten but it's a much better than some people here making it out to be from just a few hours of play. i find it more enjoyable than FO3.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Even as someone who loves Fallout 4, the story has nothing to do with that. The opposite, if anything. The story is garbage and although it appears there's some potential about halfway through, it doesn't amount to anything.

I just really enjoyed the gameplay loop of that game and exploring. If those things don't do it for you, there's nothing for you there.

Dineren

Banned
I actually enjoyed FO4 a lot more than I thought I would. The story at least up to the point I got to wasn't great, but I thought most of the companions were pretty good (although low expectations may have played a part) and some of the sidequests were enjoyable. I lost complete interest in the main story once I reached the main twist, but I still plan to go back after I finish Xenoblade.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Even as someone who loves Fallout 4, the story has nothing to do with that. The opposite, if anything. The story is garbage and although it appears there's some potential about halfway through, it doesn't amount to anything.

I just really enjoyed the gameplay loop of that game and exploring. If those things don't do it for you, there's nothing for you there.

It is basically borderlands with a shit town building minigame

and not written by reddit (but maybe written worse?)

LiK

I actually enjoyed FO4 a lot more than I thought I would. The story at least up to the point I got to wasn't great, but I thought most of the companions were pretty good (although low expectations may have played a part) and some of the sidequests were enjoyable. I lost complete interest in the main story once I reached the main twist, but I still plan to go back after I finish Xenoblade.

I stopped in the same place. not a fan of being
forced to choose a side to continue

I enjoyed Fallout 4 once I realized and accepted what it was. The story was uninvolving and the RPG elements are nonexistent, but the gun modding and exploration are really what ended up pulling me in. Anyone expecting New Vegas-style role-playing from anything Bethesda puts out are deluding themselves at this point.

Nero18

After being down on the Witcher 3 at the start the story completely reedemed that game for me. Made even the things i didnt like more enjoyable.

LiK

Why did Dariusburst suddenly go all jazztronik?

Kinda awesome actually.

i was gonna get it until i learned it's $60. i paid premium for plenty of CAVE imports but not for this if it's digital only.

I enjoyed Fallout 4 once I realized and accepted what it was. The story was uninvolving and the RPG elements are nonexistent, but the gun modding and exploration are really what ended up pulling me in. Anyone expecting New Vegas-style role-playing from anything Bethesda puts out are deluding themselves at this point.

i enjoy it the same way i enjoyed Skyrim. i love the atmosphere and visiting fucked up parts of Boston and the surrounding towns is pretty cool.

After being down on the Witcher 3 at the start the story completely reedemed that game for me. Made even the things i didnt like more enjoyable.

how long did it take for you to make that turn? I'm about 30 hours in and the main story thread isn't engaging me at all, especially given how i really dug the witcher 2's campaign.

Jintor

I got to below CIT, wandered around a bit, bugged out. If that was the biggest twist I'm probably not going back either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom