• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually I was looking through my steam list trying to find my time played on FO3, and realised that I never got it on steam and finished it on the PS3.

Wooof.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
That's a low water mark though

Yeah Fallout 3 is diabolical. The plot in that game is probably the worst for any game where plot is important.

how long did it take for you to make that turn? I'm about 30 hours in and the main story thread isn't engaging me at all, especially given how i really dug the witcher 2's campaign.

Once you leave White Orchard?

Bloody Baron is most people's early hook

hamchan

how long did it take for you to make that turn? I'm about 30 hours in and the main story thread isn't engaging me at all, especially given how i really dug the witcher 2's campaign.

I'm still stalled around that playtime too and also really enjoyed the Witcher 2. I think pacing is a huge component to that. The story is slow paced and quite dry so far. The gameplay and combat is not the most enjoyable thing to do.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

The story doesn't pick up at all until Act 2, which takes a long time to get there. There are two big flaws with the story of that game imo: The Wild Hunt itself and Act 1 being too long and having too much filler. The Triss story in Novigrad is good but everything related to Dandelion can go fuck itself. Fuck Dandelion anyway, what a smug prick.

Chuck

Still without luck
didn't people like FO3 when it first came out? I'm kinda curious to go back to those old GOTY discussions if they existed that far back. i forget.

Fallout 3 was the game that was in their top ten, despite not being in any of their individual top tens

the problem with the weapon modding in FO4 is that there is a definitive "best build" for every gun type

like everything else in that game, it sounds great in bulletpoint form and is totally underwhelming in practice

LiK

How much time is left in the main story of FO4 once you reach
the Institute
? Wondering how long it would take to grind that out before GOTY.

no idea, but i think it determines what other quests you do for which factions to complete the game.

How much time is left in the main story of FO4 once you reach
the Institute
? Wondering how long it would take to grind that out before GOTY.

I dunno, maybe like 5 hours tops if you go straight through. +/- some time depending on how far you are in faction quests

Haunted

I called the Fallout 4 twist in the main storyline
with a lot of time having passed in that second fade to black in cryo and your son being an old man a couple minutes into the game, as soon as the main character took such pains to make sure the dialogue always mentioned infants, I instinctively thought it was a red herring.

Since I didn't pay attention to the promo materials, I didn't even know synths were a thing in Fallout 4, so entering Diamond City and hearing about Android people was a bigger surprise to me, though it wasn't intended as one compared to the spoiler above. :lol

But worse than the lukewarm main story is the utter lack of interesting and surprising side quests. The Vaults (arguably my favourite part of Fallout lore) are probably the weakest ever compared to all the insidious and twisted shit we've gotten in the past. It honestly looked like they ran out of ideas on how to improve on their past work and simply did their main stuff by the numbers and chose to put the actual new development work into a lateral branch, following the template of another highly influential game instead.

Thanks Minecraft.

LiK

I called the Fallout 4 twist in the main storyline
with a lot of time having passed in that second fade to black in cryo and your son being an old man a couple minutes into the game, as soon as the main character took such pains to make sure the dialogue always mentioned infants, I instinctively thought it was a red herring.

Since I didn't pay attention to the promo materials, I didn't even know synths were a thing in Fallout 4, so entering Diamond City and hearing about Android people was a bigger surprise to me, though it wasn't intended as one compared to the spoiler above. :lol

But worse than the lukewarm main story is the utter lack of interesting and surprising side quests. The Vaults (arguably my favourite part of Fallout lore) are probably the weakest ever compared to all the insidious and twisted shit we've gotten in the past. It honestly looked like they ran out of ideas on how to improve on their past work and simply did their main stuff by the numbers and chose to put the actual new development work into a lateral branch, following the template of another highly influential game instead.

Thanks Minecraft.

i agree that they fucked up the Vaults in this game. there is almost nothing really great with the ones i found so far. no mystery like with FO3. maybe i just haven't encountered the good ones?

KingKong

Fallout 4 is genuinely just a bad game, which is pretty impressive considering the amount of time and money they've spent on it. no part of it is any good or well done

Patryn

Mass Effect 3 on PC does not have controller support. Does Origin offer refunds?

Mass Effect's stubborn refusal to include official controller support in any of its PC releases remains one of last gen's most baffling mysteries to me.

Also, I see that my tastes continue to differ from a majority of this thread, because I am enjoying the hell out of Fallout 4. I really, really like it.

Not my GOTY... that's still Shadowrun Dragonfall (which isn't from this year, but I only played it this year).

Fallout 4 is genuinely just a bad game, which is pretty impressive considering the amount of time and money they've spent on it. no part of it is any good or well done

They should just hire Obsidian to handle the Fallout games and not even bother themselves. They're the only ones to make a good 3d fallout anyway

Mass Effect 3 on PC does not have controller support. Does Origin offer refunds?

modders do what EA dont

Nero18

The story really started getting interesting once you got to Novigrad but gets actually great when you hit Skellige and beyond.

LiK

Mass Effect's stubborn refusal to include official controller support in any of its PC releases remains one of last gen's most baffling mysteries to me.

Also, I see that my tastes continue to differ from a majority of this thread, because I am enjoying the hell out of Fallout 4. I really, really like it.

Not my GOTY... that's still Shadowrun Dragonfall (which isn't from this year, but I only played it this year).

EA are idiots thinking kb/m is the preferred way to play on PC for everyone even when ME3 is available on consoles.

FO4 has flaws and definitely doesn't measure up to other open world RPGs that came out this year. but yea, I'm having fun with it.

Megasoum

Banned
It's weird...

I love both Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 but I kinda don't want to go back to neither of them.

Witcher 3 mostly because I find the sheer size of the game intimidating.

For Fallout 4 it's the whole settlement/crafting thing that intimidate/annoys me. I know that this is mostly optional but still. I don't fucking want to have to micro manage all my weapons and armor and all that bs.

I have a bit of a crazy life these days so my gaming time is a bit on the shirt side. I think that's why I enjoy more games like Tomb Raider or Tales from the Borderlands right now. That being said... I think I'm more interested to going back to AC Syndicate than to Witcher or Fallout.

Wow I just remembered that MGS5 exists too lol... Yeah fuck it, that game is dead to me, never going back to that one, too much bullshit that outweigh the very average main gameplay loop. God I just realized that Dan will really annoy me during the goty talks when he will fight for that game...ugh.

Haunted

i agree that they fucked up the Vaults in this game. there is almost nothing really great with the ones i found so far. no mystery like with FO3. maybe i just haven't encountered the good ones?
There are four in Fallout 4 aside from your starting one, I've visited three of them and they were fucking boring.

I'm pinning all my hopes on the last one blowing it out of the water (when I can find the energy to return to that game, I've still got so many better ones to play instead).

Jintor

I looked it up. The Commonwealth vaults are easily the most pissweak vault tec has ever been.

At least their level design is a little better this time around, but not by much. (There's still nothing designed with more than one intended "path" through it

LiK

There are four in Fallout 4 aside from your starting one, I've visited three of them and they were fucking boring.

I'm pinning all my hopes on the last one blowing it out of the water (when I can find the energy to return to that game, I've still got so many better ones to play instead).

I looked it up. The Commonwealth vaults are easily the most pissweak vault tec has ever been.

At least their level design is a little better this time around, but not by much. (There's still nothing designed with more than one intended "path" through it

well, that's a bummer. was looking forward to some good fucked up Vaults.

repeater

Given how the general view of Fallout 4 seems to have developed since launch, I've gotta wonder if Bethesda knew that they had a somewhat disappointing (you might argue about how disappointing it is, but even many of the people who are enjoying their time with the game seem to be of the opinion that it's pretty underwhelming) game on their hands and if this was the reason for the unusually late announcement and therefore short preview/hype cycle for the game.

Nero18

Given how the general view of Fallout 4 seems to have developed since launch, I've gotta wonder if Bethesda knew that they had a somewhat disappointing (you might argue about how disappointing it is, but even many of the people who are enjoying their time with the game seem to be of the opinion that it's pretty underwhelming) game on their hands and if this was the reason for the unusually late announcement and therefore short preview/hype cycle for the game.

I think they were too confident in the game, maybe not quality wise but definitely not seeing the fatigue on the market with open world games.

LiK

Bethesda needs to step it up with the current market of open world games. They really need to work on a new engine so their games no longer look and perform dated without the help of mods.

Dineren

Banned
I still think FO4 is a good game, I haven't enjoyed the story much, but I've had a lot of fun with the gameplay and I enjoy exploring and seeing hints (and sometimes more) of life from before and after the war. Looking at my steam counter I've put in 60 hours so it must be doing something right.

I'm having a hard time deciding my favorite game this year though. It was between Pillars of Eternity and TW3, but I've been enjoying Xenoblade X far more than I thought I would, it might be my favorite open world game.

I'd be curious to hear what the development of Fallout 4 was like. In a lot of respects it has the feel of a game that had stuff added or scrapped and rebuilt late in development. The settlement mechanics in particular feel like they were thrown together weeks before that first E3 trailer and never polished before the game shipped.

Replaying Fallout 1 and 2 is a really jarring experience. The "open world" is just a map where random encounters can occur, there's not 10,000 pounds of junk in every corner and desk, finding good gear and healing items is a rarity early on which encourages you to stay away from high level enemies and areas, Raiders and Super Mutants can talk and aren't just Drug Zombies and Gun Orcs, Vaults are super rare and don't really have super fucked up psychological experiment horror backstories, and the "it's the 1950s but blown up!!!!!" aesthetic is very subdued outside of the intro movie, the look of the cars and robots, and the interface.

edit: oh, and people live in buildings that are kinda dirty but aren't falling apart trashpiles in the midst of rubble. There are even new buildings and electric signs! That they made themselves!

hamchan

I'd be curious to hear what the development of Fallout 4 was like. In a lot of respects it has the feel of a game that had stuff added or scrapped and rebuilt late in development. The settlement mechanics in particular feel like they were thrown together weeks before that first E3 trailer and never polished before the game shipped.

It feels like a game originally made for last-gen consoles.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Now that just isn't true. I think the combat is legitimately good. It's actually a good shooter imo. It looks good and has great atmosphere, which makes the act of exploring enjoyable, to me at least.

Also the Vault where they locked up drug addicts, took away their drugs, and then reintroduced drugs months later when everyone was clean was fucked up and a good bit of storytelling.

tuxfool

Banned

They looked at Fallout and Skyrim mods and then hastily decided to implement their own inferior version.

It feels like a game originally made for last-gen consoles.

hey, that didn't stop MGSV from still looking really good in the current gen. Destiny is also a looker and that's being held back by last gen, too.

Bethesda just doesn't give a shit. And, given that millions went ahead and bought their latest meh-fest, the public just proved that they dont need to.

Meanwhile NV happened and Bethesda pretends like it didn't ever exist.

to be fair, FNV pretends FO3 didn't exist, either

tuxfool

Banned
they started right after FO3 was done so yea.

Meanwhile NV happened and Bethesda pretends like it didn't ever exist.

hey, that didn't stop MGSV from still looking really good in the current gen. Destiny is also a looker and that's being held back by last gen, too.

MGSV looks Last Gen + polish through and through.

to be fair, FNV pretends FO3 didn't exist, either
To its benefit. Also I'm not talking lore, I'm talking design.

Scizzy

I thought that I never quite got into the main story of Fallout 4 up until I was nearly done with the game. And yet, YET, there was a moment just after the climax of the game that was more emotional for me than anything else I had played this year. It was just a perfect collision of the game's themes, characters, and the choices I had made. It upgraded by opinion of the game from pretty decent all the way to actually good.

Dineren

Banned
I thought that I never quite got into the main story of Fallout 4 up until I was nearly done with the game. And yet, YET, there was a moment just after the climax of the game that was more emotional for me than anything else I had played this year. It was just a perfect collision of the game's themes, characters, and the choices I had made. It upgraded by opinion of the game from pretty decent all the way to actually good.

Could you spoil it for me? It might help me decide if it's worth going back for.

jmood88

I just noticed the Quick Look EX of Just Cause 3 has nearly 500,000 views on YouTube, handily their most popular video since September 2014 when they did a Gang Beasts Unfinished and potentially their most popular video for 3 years.
I need Vinny to get everyone together to play either Gang Beasts or Nidhogg.

3xeKiLj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom