• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
aw, really? haven't watched this QL. hope they fix it.

2804839-1822882148-12317.jpg

Scizzy

Could you spoil it for me? It might help me decide if it's worth going back for.

Here are spoilers for one the possible endings (
Railroad
).

When you first get to the Institute you meet this little toddler version of your son, Shaun, who you immediately learn is a synth. You then meet your actual son, now the leader of the Institute who tries to recruit you to be his successor. I instead chose to follow the path of the Railroad, which insists on the humanity of synths and is determined to destroy the Institute to end their enslavement. At the conclusion of the RR quest, you confront your grown son on his deathbed and then set off a nuke to level the Institute. Just before the bomb goes off, as you're fleeing, one the Railroad agents runs up with the todder-synth version of Shaun who is scared and crying for his mother. I'd grown to really dislike grown up Shaun, had no emotional attachment to this little robot kid, and had no interest in playing mother when I could be blowing shit up in the Wasteland. But I'd just blown up this campus in the name of synth humanity and I just couldn't turn this little robot away who was crying and scared and needed the mother who was right in front of him. So I decided to give up being an awesome killing machine and accept the consequences of my choices. Of course, the kid immediately disappears as if he was never there and you go back to being an awesome killing machine without a care in the world, but that's a Bethesda game for you.

Like I said, no investment in 99% of what went on, but that really, really worked for me. I wouldn't recommend going through the whole game to see that moment if it wasn't working for you though.

Most consider the story and VO worse in XCX and the music is highly divisive, but I'd say the gameplay and the world are better than XC.
I'm not sure how the story and VO could possible be worse, but if the gameplay and world are better, I'll have to give it a shot.

Sylas

If I thought XC had a garbage story and terrible VO but I loved the gameplay systems, music, and world, would I enjoy XCX?

I honestly think the VO and story in XCX are better than XC. You gotta dig a bit more for the story, but it's a pretty okay sci-fi story of colonizing a planet and humanity having to deal with aliens. The main storyline is kinda take it or leave it, but I'm really digging a lot of the side stories.

For example:
I just spent a few hours trying to help a group of tiny lizard aliens understand human fashion by making them lingerie. They ended up hating it, but I like the idea of humans and aliens trying to figure each other out!

The gameplay systems are a good bit deeper and the world design is loads better. One of the more interesting open worlds to explore since the game isn't afraid of dumping you near high level monsters that you have to run the fuck away from or stay away from early on.

The music is divisive but I think it's dumb in the good way. Do you like it when j-rock vocals kick in while you're fighting a giant monster? Do you think the Knuckles Rap in Sonic Adventure is hilarious? If both of these are true, you'll probably enjoy the music in XCX.

I guess I shouldn't say the VO is bad, but the audio mix is terrible and often times the music is much louder than the characters that are talking with no way to adjust it.

Yeah, that's annoying. I've only run into a few instances of it but thank god for subtitles.

Dineren

Banned
I'm not sure how the story and VO could possible be worse, but if the gameplay and world are better, I'll have to give it a shot.

I guess I shouldn't say the VO is bad, but the audio mix is terrible and often times the music is much louder than the characters that are talking with no way to adjust it.

Edit: I agree with Sylas for the most part. I enjoy the music and the exploration is really satisfying. They really nailed character movement and the scale of the world. I don't think I've ever had as much fun in a game just exploring.

Aerocrane

The cabinet select in Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours is related to the Chronicle mode in AC Mode. In Chronicle mode there are over 3000 stages which would be unlocked by the players playing the mode over time on a real arcade cabinet. The ability to select different cabinets emulates this feature. All players on a particular cabinet are working together by clearing stages in Chronicle mode to unlock more areas and stages. Progress is saved online and shared to all players on a cabinet. In CS Mode there are over 200 stages to clear. There is a counter mechanic with the burst. If you time your burst by activating it at the same time the enemy fires their burst, you will fire a powerful counter beam. With the right burst timing you can also pass through the enemy's burst by activating yours, taking no damage and allowing you to navigate around the enemy's attack safely.

popo

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of thing they're sitting in is

Looks like they used audio baffling that is destined for the walls to corner off a bit of the room.

I don't think it being small is what causes the audio problems - it is the open roof.

Dineren

Banned

Thanks for the writeup! Most of that was about what I was expecting minus that very last part.
Ending up with a synth child Shaun is actually pretty cool. I guess it shouldn't surprise me that Bethesda would just reset everything rather than having some gameplay mechanic involving the child, but it is still a bit disappointing
. Not sure if that is enough to make go back, but it is better than I expected.

It doesn't look like a MOBA (at least not in the traditional sense), looks more like that other Warhammer (fantasy) game that EA made and subsequently shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom