• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

It doesn't look like a MOBA (at least not in the traditional sense), looks more like that other Warhammer (fantasy) game that EA made and subsequently shut down.
I actually played that for a bit. It was such an blatant repurposing of Warhammer Online assets it was funny, even down to the same characters having the same graphical bugs.

I actually played that for a bit. It was such an blatant repurposing of Warhammer Online assets it was funny, even down to the same characters having the same graphical bugs.

Then I will not bother. With Tribes: Ascend coming back to life and MechWarrior Online coming out on Steam I've got my hands full with F2P games.

Zaph

Then I will not bother. With Tribes: Ascend coming back to life and MechWarrior Online coming out on Steam I've got my hands full with F2P games.
Just to clarify, I was taking about the older Warhammer battle arena thing EA launched and promptly shut down. No idea about this new one, but the steam reviews dont lend much confidence

AcridMeat

Banned
Saw this pop up on steam Vehicle Simulator. Did they ever do a quick look of this? It's from 2009. Would be perfect for a cross coast flight club if they could get things set up. Tons of random vehicles, looked like you could make your own in the trailer, and it's multiplayer.

I'm just stoked I have new music to look up today because the song in the trailer is great.
edit: oh, and people live in buildings that are kinda dirty but aren't falling apart trashpiles in the midst of rubble. There are even new buildings and electric signs! That they made themselves!
That's one thing that always bugged me in the Bethesda era Fallout games.
Here are spoilers for one the possible endings (
Railroad
).

When you first get to the Institute you meet this little toddler version of your son, Shaun, who you immediately learn is a synth. You then meet your actual son, now the leader of the Institute who tries to recruit you to be his successor. I instead chose to follow the path of the Railroad, which insists on the humanity of synths and is determined to destroy the Institute to end their enslavement. At the conclusion of the RR quest, you confront your grown son on his deathbed and then set off a nuke to level the Institute. Just before the bomb goes off, as you're fleeing, one the Railroad agents runs up with the todder-synth version of Shaun who is scared and crying for his mother. I'd grown to really dislike grown up Shaun, had no emotional attachment to this little robot kid, and had no interest in playing mother when I could be blowing shit up in the Wasteland. But I'd just blown up this campus in the name of synth humanity and I just couldn't turn this little robot away who was crying and scared and needed the mother who was right in front of him. So I decided to give up being an awesome killing machine and accept the consequences of my choices. Of course, the kid immediately disappears as if he was never there and you go back to being an awesome killing machine without a care in the world, but that's a Bethesda game for you.

Like I said, no investment in 99% of what went on, but that really, really worked for me. I wouldn't recommend going through the whole game to see that moment if it wasn't working for you though.
Just to elaborate on this a bit to accentuate why it may have an emotional impact.
When you meet boy Shaun, before learning he's a synth, he has the entirely plausible reaction of seeing you which is "who are you you're not my dad, WHERE'S FATHER?! THIS WEIRD MAN WANTS TO STEAL ME!"

So, when you fast forward to the kid coming up to you towards the conclusion of that ending and is like hey father can I come with you. You as the player are like what, did (actual) Shaun reprogram him to make my life easier? A final parting gift? etc.
Personally that had no impact on me, but I can see how it might. At that point I was just blasting through to see an end so I could get back to more Tales from the Borderlands.

it's a moba

you might think i am joking, but i am not.

3728b719f7edd6bd5ace16c45e9295d6.png

edit: ahahahah they actually use the term "grim dark"
FWIW I'm pretty sure Warhammer 40K was the progenitor of the term grimdark.

i dont know but that any janitor off the street can make a Warhammer game yet we never got a sequel to Space Marine is a crying shame

Well there is that Warhammer 40k MMO that may or may not be canceled that looked like it just cribbed Space Marine's gameplay mechanics.

Edit - Apparently not only is it not canceled, it is in closed Alpha.

Edit x2 - Apparently it is also no longer an MMO, but a squad based third person action game of some sort.

Well there is that Warhammer 40k MMO that may or may not be canceled that looked like it just cribbed Space Marine's gameplay mechanics.

Edit - Apparently not only is it not canceled, it is in closed Alpha.

Edit x2 - Apparently it is also no longer an MMO, but a squad based third person action game of some sort.

Space Marine was an awesome game. I'd take an MMO with that gameplay. I don't think it's possible though. Latency would make that such a nightmare.

Zaph

I'd be so down for a Destiny-style Space Marine game. With some type of faction based overworld you fight to control like WAR.

Shit, WAR had some really good ideas.

Space Marine is probably one of my favourite games of last gen, it wasn't anything mind blowing but it played exactly how a Space Marine game should. I hold out hope for a sequel one day.

daydream

Banned
Darius Burst looks like shit

right? the boss designs look cool, as is to be expected, but everything else from the backgrounds to the smaller enemies and their movement to the point graphics (100 points, 200 points, etc.) to the power-ups looks poor

it's really jarring

The Patrick klepek game would be a Ecco the Dolphin clone.

I just figured it would be a bad tank control survival horror game where Klepek tries to escape a mansion run by Gawker Incorporated with one of those keyboard backpacks from Typing of the Dead strapped onto him, pumping out headlines and doing Twitch partner streams while the shuffling remains of jezebel jornos past come at him, him narrowly avoiding the painful defeat at the hands of gamergaters who will stop at nothing to faux shame him via internet comments into losing his soul in that mansion

oddjobs

oh god, patrick has regressed almost to the level of some 17-year old youtube-personality. he comes off really forced and constantly yells stupid shit while playing.

He's not a YouTuber until he reads donation messages and constantly interrupts himself to recite prepared speeches about "being a part of the family"

oddjobs

the mr wiggles-stuff was the last nail in the coffin.

i'm now imagining the scenario where he tries to return to GB after realizing Kotaku was a huge mistake but Jeff, having watched some of this trash is having none of it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
He is not a real Youtuber as long as he doesn't put images of him doing goofy faces on the preview of the videos though. That's the real secret handshake

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
He's not a YouTuber until he reads donation messages and constantly interrupts himself to recite prepared speeches about "being a part of the family"

Nah that's twitch. You can worry when Patrick switches to constant screaming, pretending to be scared/angry/laughing loudly and generally behaving like a kid instead of being his awesome self. You're a real Youtuber when you abandon yourself and the audience that loved you when you had 200 visitors for a few thousand literal kids who will still always love Pewdiepie more than you.

At least 2 of the peeps "co-starring" that Pewdiepie game are the exact this, Jacksepticeye is even on GAF which makes me feel double bad about it.

Man I'd be so bummed if Patrick goes the same route.

Lunar FC

Nah that's twitch. You can worry when Patrick switches to constant screaming, pretending to be scared/angry/laughing loudly and generally behaving like a kid instead of being his awesome self. You're a real Youtuber when you abandon yourself and the audience that loved you when you had 200 visitors for a few thousand literal kids who will still always love Pewdiepie more than you.

At least 2 of the peeps "co-starring" that Pewdiepie game are the exact this, Jacksepticeye is even on GAF which makes me feel double bad about it.

2670066-spookin.gif

I want a Final Fantasy 7 PS4 version QL just to hear more "it was better before" stuff.

I am totally that guy but FFX is my FF7. #bringbacktheoverworld

Also I never played FF4 and only played 15 or so hours of 6. I forget if I was playing a emulated version on PC or the PS1 version of PSP but my save is lost to time now and I aint going back.

I should play 4 some time.... I hear that PSP version is cool.

I used to watch his channel from time to time when I used to be on the GS forums but ever since he got youtube famous I was like

ad6e96f6cb6a9dc2c1da00d08419e5499c449ae65e3d854b10c8f8794864d3a9_:original

I'm done and you could see his old ass videos where he sounds like a normal person. Now he sounds like a cartoon character. But hey, I guess do whatever to keep the dough flowin, I ain't one to judge.

Edit: To make things clear he was and I think still is on the GS forums but I'm not sure.

I sense Dan wanting to get some inspiration for his next level perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom