• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlie

Banned
Also I never played FF4 and only played 15 or so hours of 6. I forget if I was playing a emulated version on PC or the PS1 version of PSP but my save is lost to time now and I aint going back.

I should play 4 some time.... I hear that PSP version is cool.

FFIV's fantasy/space setting is pretty nice!

The main character has a great development throughout the story, Golbez and the four fiends are memorable bosses with their battle songs, and the final airship is the best airship of every game

don't need to play the PSP sequel though, it ain't great. The DS remake is much more satisfying, if you can play it

FFIV's fantasy/space setting is pretty nice!

The main character has a great development throughout the story, Golbez and the four fiends are memorable bosses with their battle songs, and the final airship is the best airship of every game

don't need to play the PSP sequel though, it ain't great. The DS remake is much more satisfying, if you can play it

The Steam version is based on the mobile version which was based off the DS version right?

I keep thinking I should try that some day.

2670066-spookin.gif
To be fair, that seemed like genuine terror, or he's a much better actor than I think

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm glad someone emailed about the grime resurgence. It's always been my favored genre over dubstep in terms of trashy music that's just so good. I still listen to Dizzee Rascal's early albums because they're doity.

Skepta's Dirty
is real good. Backing beat is similar to Run the Jewels.

Bowlie

Banned
The Steam version is based on the mobile version which was based off the DS version right?

I keep thinking I should try that some day.

Just looked it up and you're right, that's the DS version ported again and again. The characters and the spells are way cooler in that version, and its cutscenes are voiced too

edit: I didn't play it as a kid, so there's no nostalgia talking

The levels Scoop played today were some of the best levels I've seen in Mario Maker. I know I can't beat levels like the Ryckoning, but these levels had just the right amount of difficulty.

They were hard, but not frustratingly so, as there were mushrooms and checkpoints available. I would die but would always feel like my next life is the one where I beat the level.

Took me 68 hours, but I finally finished Trails in the Sky SC and man what a fantastic RPG. Best one I've played in a long while.

I really hope it did well for XSEED to bring the other ones over.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eh, I'd say that most of the fans played it on PSP and vita so quite a number, if not most, of the audience is on that platform. Plus steam is weird in that it can give games incredibly long legs with the sales.

Sold around 11k copies according to steam spy which sure doesn't sound great.

It sold on different consoles/platforms besides Steam (I myself bought it on a Vita for save/portability reasons), so those numbers aren't really representative of the sales. I imagine the long tail of the winter steam sales should help it, but it'd definitely be a shame if sold worse than XSEED expected especially since the first one sold really well.

Antiwhippy

Most of the first game's audience on PC are probably fans who double dipped again, while SC probably has far less people going for 2 versions.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Took me 68 hours, but I finally finished Trails in the Sky SC and man what a fantastic RPG. Best one I've played in a long while.

I really hope it did well for XSEED to bring the other ones over.

I've heard people gush over it but I have no idea why. Is it the story? The combat? The characters? The universe? What's so good about the game?

Antiwhippy

Combination of all that.

Though I haven't gotten into it too much yet because so far I've had 4-5 hours of sleep most nights and would rather take a nap on the bus than play games.

I don't get why Alex seemed to hate it so much. Sure, it's no Crusader Kings 2, but he was acting like it was Big Rigs.

I'm properly a bigger Alex fan than most, but sometimes his "everything is terrible" persona just goes a little overboard. He has awesome dry humor, but when it turns into shouting it becomes a bit much.

I've heard people gush over it but I have no idea why. Is it the story? The combat? The characters? The universe? What's so good about the game?

Story and characters are definitely the main drawing point. The combat is fun for what it is, but its nothing special. The real appeal of the game is its incredible world building where every NPC and every town has its own stories and arcs. Put that around a story of 2 main characters exploring the world in a coming of age story and you get a some really great moments of interaction and development.

Its very different from your typical RPG as its not a "save the world" kind of story. While events certainly escalate in significance and scale, the events of Trails in the Sky isn't much more than a bleep in a pretty massive world. But honestly, I just can't stress enough how great the character building is for every character regardless of how important or insignificant they are in the grand scheme of the game.

Edit: And the soundtrack is super good. Probably has one of my favorite boss themes, ever and I love the title screen themes.

Most of the first game's audience on PC are probably fans who double dipped again, while SC probably has far less people going for 2 versions.

Probably. Hopefully as it gets cheaper more people will start to buy it, including those who are probably catching up with FC first. If I got enough cash from work I'll try to buy a few keys during a sale and give them away.

hamchan

It sold on different consoles/platforms besides Steam (I myself bought it on a Vita for save/portability reasons), so those numbers aren't really representative of the sales. I imagine the long tail of the winter steam sales should help it, but it'd definitely be a shame if sold worse than XSEED expected especially since the first one sold really well.

I have no doubt in my mind that Trails in the Sky Second Chapter didn't do very well.

It's a sequel that requires people to play through a 40+ hour game before hand, there was only a one week warning before it got released with little to no marketing and it dropped during the busiest time of the year for video games with even other JRPGs coming out around it like Tales of Zestiria and Xenoblade a month later.

Anyways it's probably more of a goodwill gesture to finish off the story since Trails of Cold Steel was coming over regardless of how well Second Chapter did. Only like 12 days until that comes out btw.

Dineren

Banned
I bought FC when it launched on Steam and have been waiting for a time to get around to it, but it seems like there is always something coming out I want to play. I went and picked up SC too, so it could sit in my backlog forever.

Hopefully I'll have some more time early next year to finally get to them. Everything I've heard about them has sounded great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom