• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the longest time, I've tried to recall what PS1 mech game a friend and I played way back in the day. The Armored Core that showed up on Demo Derby looks incredibly familiar. The main thing I remember us doing is versus mode in an outside map with patches of forest and such. Not sure if it was third person or first person, and I kind of recall there was a boost jump or something that drained a bar.

Anyone here happen to know if that matches the description of a PS1 Armored Core game? Is one of them known for their versus mode at all?

That sounds like Armored Core to me. Using boost as a limited flight is a stable of the series. There's 3 Armored Core games on the ps1 though (Project Phantasma and Master of Arena besides the original) which all had versus modes, so it could really be any of those. Unless you're from Europe of course which only got the original AC1 on ps1.

Zaph

Says 11pm UK time, which is the usual. Apart from when our DST's are out of sync, then it starts at 10pm or midnight depending.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Maybe when they moved floors they also moved time itself.

Fjolle

RSS feed is even later than usual this week :/

I thought they learned something from the west coast dudes after last week.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah they need to fix their podcast posting routine or something.

Neither normal or premium beastcast are on the rss, the normal one is live on the site, and the premium one is also live on the site but misplaced in the previous episodes of the normal one.

What's the verdict on Doom 3? What about BFG Edition?
They fixed the BFG edition so the lighting is now as it was in the original Doom 3. Besides that, the only real negative is that mod support is pretty nonexistent compared to vanilla doom.

On the plus side, BFG includes widescreen and controller support as well as 2 expansions, one of which is BFG exclusive. And I also believe it comes with doom 1 and doom 2. It really is the better package if all you want is doom 3

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
can't wait for the Rainbow Six quicklook where Jeff's all like "I really don't like this type of game so here's me being cynical about it for an hour"

Just pre-empting it by saying the game is awesome and just about everyone in the OT loves it and the microtransactions are a total non-thing you can happily ignore and not feel left out.

Patryn

can't wait for the Rainbow Six quicklook where Jeff's all like "I really don't like this type of game so here's me being cynical about it for an hour"

Just pre-empting it by saying the game is awesome and just about everyone in the OT loves it and the microtransactions are a total non-thing you can happily ignore and not feel left out.

The people in an OT thread on GAF love a game?

You don't say.

Not trying to be a dick, but pretty much unless your name is Dragon Age 2, your OT is going to end up being nothing but fans of the game.

Yeah they need to fix their podcast posting routine or something.

Neither normal or premium beastcast are on the rss, the normal one is live on the site, and the premium one is also live on the site but misplaced in the previous episodes of the normal one.

And now both the normal and premium episodes are on the normal Beastcast RSS.

Zaph

I wouldn't listen to the Beastcast then. Turns out, he may not be the only one that's not fond of it, and even more shockingly, people in a game's OT may like said game.

lol

definitely going places

:)

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The people in an OT thread on GAF love a game?

You don't say.

Not trying to be a dick, but pretty much unless your name is Dragon Age 2, your OT is going to end up being nothing but fans of the game.
Same for most LTTP threads. You have to be pretty careful to get your impression from one of those.

But yeah, I would say that Siege doesn't look like the type of shooter Jeff would be into.

I wouldn't listen to the Beastcast then. Turns out, he may not be the only one that's not fond of it, and even more shockingly, people in a game's OT may like said game.
Yep, plenty of mediocre reviews for it.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/tom-clancys-rainbow-six-siege

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

Austin hasn't played it since the beta and the concerns about maps being "solved" were completely unfounded.

OT whatever, point is it's a really terrific game if you like that style. It's undoubtedly a niche game, though. Review scores don't mean a whole lot. Imagine if DOTA 2 was reviewed by game critics. Most of them would probably hate it, but no one now would argue it's a badly made game. It's just niche.

jmood88

I really want them to play through the entirety of Sentient. I was laughing the whole time and Alex's anger made it even funnier.

Don't worry it's not just Jeff that has issues with Rainbow Six.

And you shouldn't use an OT as a gauge of how much people love something. I mean, I go to the Destiny OT and I love that game. But it's not for everyone and even I have my ire of it.

tchocky

Ah, could be. I just vaguely remembered it.

Yeah it was J-Pop group AKB48

In February 2013 group member Minami Minegishi, her head shaved, appeared in a YouTube video to apologize after it was reported by a tabloid that she had spent the night with a man in violation of her contract; she was demoted to the status of trainee. Her shaved head was seen as an overreaction, attracting criticism of how the situation was handled.

Idol fans man.

PkPRoUk.gif

Wasn't there some K-pop star that was kicked out of her group and ended up shaving her head and stuff because fans saw her leaving some guys hotel or some shit. K-pop fans seem...enthusiastic?

AKB's had a couple of them.

the one you're talking about is Minegishi Minami. Tabloids caught her I think. She wasn't fired, but she was kicked down to the "research group" which are basically understudies. She came back after a few months out of the spotlight. the headshaving thing was her own idea and she gets haircut jokes on variety shows to this day.

Austin hasn't played it since the beta and the concerns about maps being "solved" were completely unfounded.

OT whatever, point is it's a really terrific game if you like that style. It's undoubtedly a niche game, though. Review scores don't mean a whole lot. Imagine if DOTA 2 was reviewed by game critics. Most of them would probably hate it, but no one now would argue it's a badly made game. It's just niche.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dota-2
I have both 1000/1000 and Platinum for it so I played a lot of it too lol
I think Megasoum was doing QA for the game so I bet he's got you beat :p

LiK

It's looking like The Order outsold Rise Of The Tomb Raider this year. That shit's cray.
I haven't played it yet but yea, that's a shame. maybe SE will figure out that moneyhats aren't doing them good when it comes to Xbox One.

Asylum is the best one for sure but I'm not sure I could ever go back to it. Played WAYYY too much of that game lol.

I have both 1000/1000 and Platinum for it so I played a lot of it too lol

danm999

This is still insane to me. It's like they handpicked the worst possible date.

Yeah I feel you are disqualified from playing the "disappointed in the sales" card as a publisher if you release something on the same day as a Bethesda mainline series game.

Yeah, our Fridays are almost over.

Thanks to Aussie daylight savings UPF is 9.30 am Saturday morning.

Also, Sydney is a hole.

How dare you Sydney is majestic.

Actually as a lifelong Sydneysider it's just ok. Melbourne certainly seems nicer barring the weather.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What, you don't like it being 30C one day and 19C the next?

Though from what I've heard I'd much rather have what we're getting now instead of the constant 40C+ days in other parts of australia.

I'm hoping it's a Drew and Dan joint but I doubt it. I also played enough of it to know that you don't need to pay for shit to get whatever you want, as quick as you want. Watching the 3 tutorial videos nets you = 600 Renown. That's already a character. Then, playing the situations, you'd get 300-500+ Renown everytime you beat one for the first time. There are 11 of those missions(one is unlockable after beating 10 of them).

The microtransactions in this game are all cosmetic. Ranks don't give you shit, the only thing they give you is the option to play ranked matches when you reach rank 20 otherwise, nothing. So, you're basically in it just to unlock operators with renown which each game without boosting would give you 200+. In the first 2 hours I was able to get 6 operators by playing a mix of Terrorist Hunt and Situations, you have the option to buy all operators of course. It's kind of what you want to do since the only way to spend renown is to buy operators or gun modifications.

You don't need the season pass to win because it doesn't have any meaningful shit. Rainbow credits are used to buy skins or boosters, that's it which aren't beneficial since ranking up means nothing.

Learning a map is impossible because the randomness is too much, from the characters the other team chooses to you having the option to make a hole in any wall, small or big then shooting through it or heck, walking in. All the objectives in all the maps are randomized as well. Then there's this.

It's all for free.

After all is said and done though this is not Jeff's kind of game and if he's the person that's going to be playing then he's not gonna be excited about it which is fair game I guess, If I had to play something that is not my thing I certainly wouldn't want to play more of it. But still I'm excited to hear the duders thoughts, negative or good.

Edit: I agree it shouldn't be 60$ but what it does, it does REAL GOOD and when it comes to tactical shooters on consoles, we get shit. Rainbow Six Vegas 1-2 was 9-7 fucking years ago. Then again, I say the same thing to Star Wars:Battlefront on not being worth 60$ yet, nobody shits on that game and it offers LESS than what R6 offers in terms of gameplay depth and maps in modes. Heck, R6's post game content is all free.

Strong thread for a Friday. already going places http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1155047

(✿O_O)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Good Rainbow Six post. Jeff was way off on that game.

There are some glitches and some wonky netcode at time but the game is very well made. I'm particularly impressed at how much of a difference the operator choice makes to a round. Not to mention the destructability of environments genuinely contributes towards the gameplay by expanding the tactical options you can make.

It feels nothing like modern Ubisoft.

Oh and the season pass is possibly the weakest thing I've ever seen. It gives you two extra daily challenges and 7 day early access to new operators. hahahahahahaha

also im still waiting for someone to hit the upload button on the premium version of the beastcast.

I don't know why this is a regular issue but i'm not downloading the ad plagued version.

Jeff didn't like Driveclub and when he reviewed it the game was a fucking disaster.

Jeff didn't like Rainbow Six but he was factually wrong in his critique. There's a difference guys!!!

Eh, i mean i don't agree with his Gears Ultimate review but that's, like, just his opinion mannnnn. Don't see me getting up in arms about it.

I've also said that I agree that what jeff points out as flaws in r6s seems to be a bit weird but perhaps he'll articulate his viewpoints a bit better in the eventual QL. They haven't QL'd it yet, right?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Jeff didn't like Driveclub and when he reviewed it the game was a fucking disaster.

Jeff didn't like Rainbow Six but he was factually wrong in his critique. There's a difference guys!!!

PkPRoUk.gif

AKB's had a couple of them.

the one you're talking about is Minegishi Minami. Tabloids caught her I think. She wasn't fired, but she was kicked down to the "research group" which are basically understudies. She came back after a few months out of the spotlight. the headshaving thing was her own idea and she gets haircut jokes on variety shows to this day.
Related

also im still waiting for someone to hit the upload button on the premium version of the beastcast.

I don't know why this is a regular issue but i'm not downloading the ad plagued version.

Seemed like both versions came on the regular feed for me. I had two episodes release at the same time and I just downloaded the smaller one thinking it was the ad free version. So far no ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom