• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: I agree it shouldn't be 60$ but what it does, it does REAL GOOD and when it comes to tactical shooters on consoles, we get shit. Rainbow Six Vegas 1-2 was 9-7 fucking years ago. Then again, I say the same thing to Star Wars:Battlefront yet nobody shits on that game and it offers LESS than what R6 offers in terms of gameplay depth and maps in modes. Heck, R6's post game content is all free.

What? Where have you been?

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah I feel you are disqualified from playing the "disappointed in the sales" card as a publisher if you release something on the same day as a Bethesda mainline series game.

What is worse is that they got into business with MS, who then also had a co-marketing deal for FO4. There were xbox+Fallout advertisements everywhere and Tomb Raider was nowhere to be seen. Maybe the TR ad budget was spent too early?

Yeah, I've been a yearly subscriber at Giant Bomb from ground zero, and I have never listened to the premium versions of the Bomb/Beastcast.

i have enough naturebox/me undies/harry's/casper mattress/square space/stamps.com ads in all the other podcasts i listen to that I don't want to hear them if i have a choice, even if the ads are well done.

What? Where have you been?

I haven't been in the OT and I own the game but I didn't get around to playing it yet, however, I didn't hear or read people talking bad about it like it's not worth it or how terrible/horrible it is. Check out the responses on R6 though from people who didn't play the game. From what I hear the game has balance issues? I mean what were people expecting since it plays arcady as fuck but maybe that's what most people find more fun which I am totally fine with, I hope they balance things out though. I don't blame people choosing SW with all the hype over a R6 game in the end.

R6 heavily relies on communication, planning and playing slowly. So, of course the game is pretty much dead when it comes to comparing it's mobility/movement with other recent FPS games.

Xater

God damn the Rainbow apologists are the the follow up to the Driveclub apologists. Hey I know all this stuff, I still think the game offers shit value and I think the way they handle their unlocks is the worst. Also I didn't enjoy playing it during a he betas. No matter how much you wanna tell me this is a return to form it is not. I'd rather play the Vegas titles again and I considered them to be the low point in the series before.

God damn the Rainbow apologists are the the follow up to the Driveclub apologists. Hey I know all this stuff, I still think the game offers shit value and I think the way they handle their unlocks is the worst. Also I didn't enjoy playing it during a he betas. No matter how much you wanna tell me this is a return to form it is not. I'd rather play the Vegas titles again and I considered them to be the low point in the series before.

My major negative with the game is not having A.I friendlies but that's it. I am having much more fun playing Siege with it's randomness. I guess we agree to disagree. Other then that, the XB1 version comes with Vegas 1 & 2 for free so go figure.

Edit: It's just a shame that we have to resort to play on PC if we want to scratch our tactical itch which I don't have a problem with but not all my friends have good PC's. On consoles, we barely get tactical anything when it comes to FPS games.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I paid 30 bucks for it and I think 30 bucks for the best competitive fps I've played in a decade is a steal but what do I know. I think your opinion is wrong, you think I'm wrong, and we're both right. This isn't what you want from the game and that's okay. I'm saying that for what it is, it is fantastic.

I also think value is an almost irrelevant metric and it's entirely subjective. The value conversation goes away from "is this a good game or not" which is why I'm 100% disinterested in that conversation.

Nobody talks about Megaman 2 going "yeah it was a really bad value proposition", you know? That conversation has no historical... value.

Heimbeck

Banned

Driveclub offers shit value?
What the fuck?

Drive Club is and isn't a lot of things but there's no denying that Sony/Evo have done a hell of a job supporting that game. I don't think Xater was arguing that it doesn't offer a value, though. I think that specific complaint is being made against R6S.

Red UFO

I feel like their are loads of games like nuclear throne, and people tend to be quite positive about them, but I just have absolutely no interest in any of them.

Am I weird?

Xater

How are R6S apologists follow ups to Driveclub apologists then?
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's what it sounded like to me.

Because they invade every thread were their favorite thing gets mentioned and they have to state how no one understands how great it is.

Xater

I feel like their are loads of games like nuclear throne, and people tend to be quite positive about them, but I just have absolutely no interest in any of them.

Am I weird?

I'd be more into it if it would have been done way earlier. Played too many rogue-likes in the last 2-3 years.

By complaining that Jeff is wrong about the game and that he just doesn't understand how great the game is.

Well from the limited time he played the game, he is wrong when he says that you have to pay for boosters. Like it's something of a must when it's not. He could talk about microtransactions being shitty and sure I'd agree but saying it's seemed like a must in that game? That's wrong. Heck, he didn't even mention that all the game's DLC is free. Then again, he didn't play the game for much so I don't blame him whatsoever.

Even if it didn't have microtransactions, it's not Jeff's type of FPS when he is into the fast mobility and movement in FPS games. R6 is slow as fuck(depending on the character you choose but even then it's not that big of a difference)

Because they invade every thread were their favorite thing gets mentioned and they have to state how no one understands how great it is.

Nobody invaded anything lol, I've been in this thread since the beginning. R6 talk came in the previous page only because of the QL being on schedule.

R6S has defenders?

Uh. Ok.

I guess there is a bit of a weird Ubisoft defence force around the web. Its super weird.

It's not about defending, it's about providing the right information. You shit on the game all you want, I ain't gonna change your opinion but shit on it in the right way like "THIS GAME HAS NO SINGLE PLAYER" not "THIS GAME NEEDS YOU TO BUY MICROTRANSACTIONS TO UNLOCK COOL SHIT".

How is Backalar in his 30s and he hasn't played a single Final Fantasy in his life? I know people who buy only Madden and COD on the regular and even they've played through at least one FF game.

I don't know if i can support this podcast any longer

hamchan

How is Backalar in his 30s and he hasn't played a single Final Fantasy in his life? I know people who buy only Madden and COD on the regular and even they've played through at least one FF game.

And this was the man tasked with making a list of the best PS1 games?!

Heimbeck

Banned

What is the age cutoff for that?
Is it okay if you're 29 and have never played a FF game?

What is the age cutoff for that?
Is it okay if you're 29 and have never played a FF game?

if i had to do a cutoff point, it would be if you were in your early teens when FFXIII hit. That means you've known nothing but terrible final fantasy games your whole life.

But if youre in your late 20s and 30s then zero excuses, you were there during the golden age of FF games

I never had consoles before I bought an Xbox 360 when I was.. 20 or so?

Similarly there's a lot of people who've never played essential PC classics because all they ever played was console games.
eh, FFVII and FFVIII both had PC releases so im sorry you are a bad, bad person

As for classic PC games, that's on those people, too. But I don't think there was a PC franchise that was as big in the 90s the way Final Fantasy ended up being, not counting maybe Doom.

if i had to do a cutoff point, it would be if you were in your early teens when FFXIII hit. That means you've known nothing but terrible final fantasy games your whole life.

But if youre in your late 20s and 30s then zero excuses, you were there during the golden age of FF games

I never had consoles before I bought an Xbox 360 when I was.. 20 or so?

Similarly there's a lot of people who've never played essential PC classics because all they ever played was console games.
Calling people who like a game you dislike "apologists" is really weird.
what are you an opinion apologist?

hamchan

If I had to make a list of top PS1 games I honestly think my top 10 would all be JRPGS, with more than half of them coming from Squaresoft.

I never played a single FF game and I've been gaming since the PS1/Genesis days.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15597-1423757983-7.gif

It seems ridiculous for those of us who grew up playing them, but it's completely understandable if you didn't have a PlayStation growing up. I know quite a few people who were gaming at that time who missed out just because they only had an N64 or PC.

Xater

Cool, I liked Driveclub there were still a bunch of those people around.

It seems ridiculous for those of us who grew up playing them, but it's completely understandable if you didn't have a PlayStation growing up. I know quite a few people who were gaming at that time who missed out just because they only had an N64 or PC.

I was mainly a PC gamer in the 90s and played FF7 on a PC. They did ports of that game and FF8.

I never played a single FF game and I've been gaming since the PS1/Genesis days.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15597-1423757983-7.gif

Genesis and PS1 are different generations so i dunno, buddy. Did you at least play a Phantasy Star?

I'm trying to work with you here

Hey, Eidos released 2 PSX final fantasies on PC and there were also FF games on the SNES and NES too. I'm not buying it.

Heimbeck

Banned

I'm not 29 I was just wondering if 30s was the cutoff.
I'm not really in a rush to go play them though.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If you never played a Final Fantasy game, you've missed a lot more terrible games than great games. I don't see a problem with it.

There's a difference between people liking a game and people who go out of their way to remind you about how wrong you are for not liking a game. Even if that's not really the right word for either.

Par Score

Nah, there's this weird thing going on this year in particular.

Evolve, BattleFront, RB6 Seige: All super thin, overwhelmingly mediocre, multiplayer-only FPS, all for $60, all nestled in the 70s on Metacritic, and all with ridiculous fanbases that will brook no dissent about how awesome these cardboard-standees of games are.

It's hard not to get kinda weary of it.

If you never played a Final Fantasy game, you've missed a lot more terrible games than great games. I don't see a problem with it.

FF4-FF10 were all incredibly solid RPGs, some better than others but none of them were actually bad games. I'll grant you some of the side stuff isn't so hot but I'm speaking solely about the main series

some of you folks, you just dont know

Then again, I say the same thing to Star Wars:Battlefront on not being worth 60$ yet, nobody shits on that game and it offers LESS than what R6 offers in terms of gameplay depth and maps in modes. Heck, R6's post game content is all free.
(✿O_O)

I think many people including Giantbomb's Dan Ryckert have shit on Battlefront for its dearth of content/progression.

Nice post though, I might check out the game when it has filled out a bit more and is cheaper.

I've watched someone play through Chrono Trigger, does that count? Though even that was in the late 00s. I just never had any interest in those games conceptually (and still don't really).

And when FFVII and VIII were released I didn't have a PC either, I mostly played games at friends' houses so it was up to what they had. And of course we usually played multiplayer games.

I've been thinking of playing through one of those games at some point.

I was mainly a PC gamer in the 90s and played FF7 on a PC. They did ports of that game and FF8.

That's true but the market for those games on PC was much smaller than on PS1. Though I actually owned FF7 on PC first, but the reactor level with the countdown was unbeatable because of our slow-ass computer's load times. The timer didn't stop while the game loaded between areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom